Pineapples

Old Apr 25th 2016, 7:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pineapples

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
What exactly would they be using a kiwi fruit for in a hospital, during surgery, the mind boggles

Man Flu..... Women just don't get it
Kiwifruit looks like dog testicles. Perhaps hospitals use them for testicle replacement surgery.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 1:52 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goneforgood
We eat a lot of fruit. One pineapple lasts maybe a week, but we will be living on a pension (a frozen UK pension!) and it's going to be tight. Every little saving will make a difference. We saw pineapples at $5.99 in Creston and US$1.50 over the border. That is enough to prick up our ears. And thanks for the soothing words Snowy560.
If a pineapple lasts a week, and thus go bad, are you going to drive all the way across the border to save $4.50 a week? Do you plan on cycling, or using a vehicle based on the internal combustion engine? Because you know, petrol is far more expensive than pineapples...

Or do you plan on buying lots of pineapples and freezing them? At 10 pineapples, that's a saving of $45. A tank of gas in my vehicle is about $65...

This makes less sense the more I think about it.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

goneforgood is an unknown quantity at this point

And your posts are pretty silly. Naturally we would not drive over the border for just one pineapple. And the nearest US store that sells pineapples is not a full tank of gas away. Pineapples don't go bad in a week in the fridge.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goneforgood
And your posts are pretty silly. Naturally we would not drive over the border for just one pineapple. And the nearest US store that sells pineapples is not a full tank of gas away. Pineapples don't go bad in a week in the fridge.
I've never considered refrigerating pineapples. They're not in the cold room at Costco but out with the yams and onions. I place the pineapple on top of the fridge so that, as well as being edible, it's decorative and saves on the cost of fresh flowers.

I don't think pineapples would freeze well and they don't come in a very freezer compliant format, not being square. That'd be doubly a problem if you bought the pineapples in the US and wanted to put them in a, Canadian sourced, metric freezer.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 3:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

@dbd33

I didn't know you used to write those letters in Viz.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
@dbd33

I didn't know you used to write those letters in Viz.
I don't seek to come across as a fat slag, well no more than usual. It's just that, when I think of pineapples at all, which is not often. I imagine people on aeroplanes feeding pieces of them to brightly coloured talking birds.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I'm not sure where near the border you are headed in BC but fruit in Southern BC grows amazingly, is local and can be picked up cheaply... Just not pineapples!!
If only stores sold the BC grown fruits more affordable. Last year the BC grown stuff was running nearly double on average vs US grown.

I do know if one lives in the growing areas local fruits can be obtained cheaper, one year when I took a road trip to Kelowna through some of the growing regions, I bought so many cherries as they were so cheap.

I suppose I have been in Canada too long, but I never thought the 3.99 for a pineapple was all that much, I can't recall seeing them for 5.99, but I rarely buy them, not my favorite fruit out there.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 25th 2016 at 8:56 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've never considered refrigerating pineapples. They're not in the cold room at Costco but out with the yams and onions. I place the pineapple on top of the fridge so that, as well as being edible, it's decorative and saves on the cost of fresh flowers.

I don't think pineapples would freeze well and they don't come in a very freezer compliant format, not being square. That'd be doubly a problem if you bought the pineapples in the US and wanted to put them in a, Canadian sourced, metric freezer.
Surprisingly they do freeze well. Cube them up and put it in a plastic bag. There's a grocery store here that has frozen pineapple, papaya, berries, etc in bulk.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:42 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaaand I'm out.

Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Surprisingly they do freeze well. Cube them up and put it in a plastic bag. There's a grocery store here that has frozen pineapple, papaya, berries, etc in bulk.
Well, yes, chopped up might work. We have some frozen chopped rhubarb which we processed in that manner, it has a similar molecular structure and defrosts successfully. I suppose an organized person would take a knife and a chopping board to America and perform the dissection in the Costco car park so as to reduce the weight of pineapple to be imported. One wouldn't take the bags to America but buy them there so as to benefit from the cross border plastic bag price differential which, proportionately, approaches that of pineapples and merlot.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:50 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I tell a lie, we do get pineapples here in BC, Aviator was wrong too
Attached Thumbnails Pineapples-image.jpg  
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:57 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking that grenades are sometimes called pineapples, I wonder if a team of two could get together with one each side of the border at some suitable place.

One could be State-side with an RPG launcher and send the rocket propelled pineapples over the border to their colleague who has a net for catching them.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:13 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
Silly boy
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:27 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Goneforgood, thank you for opening this thread. It's been very instructive, I didn't realize that there was an issue with the price of Pineapples in Canada.....I have an issue with the price of most commodities here, but can't remember the last time I bought a Pineapple...so often the are dry, and I don't like the woody bits. I'd probably try Walmart

More importantly you gave the floor to some excellent responses that made me giggle...you can always rely on BE for good solid info...but with a sidebar of humour too...thank heaven
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:39 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You know what you can't get in Canada? Cottage cheese with pineapple bits. That was quite pleasant for a lunchtime snack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.