Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Personal effects shipment - B4 Form

Personal effects shipment - B4 Form

Old Feb 9th 2016, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

mimicapes is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Personal effects shipment - B4 Form

Whilst on our regular visit to Canada, we received our COPR notification, after over 5 years waiting. We were very excited and went around the flagpole - without a "list of items to follow". We are now back in our former country arranging a shipment of personal items (books, photos, pictures, souvenirs, clothing - no furniture, appliances, cars, etc.). It may be too late to ask the question but, does anyone know if we will we have a problem with customs or if we an fill out a B4 form now and submit it? Any info will be appreciated.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal effects shipment - B4 Form

You don't need to fill it out or submit it. When you finally move to Canada to live and on arrival CBSA will fill out the B4 form. All you need are lists of goods accompanying and goods to follow (2 of each). You explain to them that you did the landing but DID NOT establish a residence at the time.
Have you been issued a PR card and did you supply a Canadian address for it to be sent to?
After 15th March if no PR card you will need to have the PRTD to return to Canada if flying in and PRs cannot apply for eTA. If you have the PR card then you are OK.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much. Very reassured. (Computer is misbehaving or I would say more and ask additional questions. Will try later.)
Old Feb 9th 2016, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

In answer to your question, our PR cards are being sent to our daughter in Toronto and if they are on schedule (hah!), will arrive before March 15. We have a holiday home in Ontario. Does that count as an "established residence". Re PRTD, should the need arise, we thought to just get round trip tickets and enter as we always have. We have to come back here again anyway for the house sale. Comments?
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mimicapes
In answer to your question, our PR cards are being sent to our daughter in Toronto and if they are on schedule (hah!), will arrive before March 15. We have a holiday home in Ontario. Does that count as an "established residence". Re PRTD, should the need arise, we thought to just get round trip tickets and enter as we always have. We have to come back here again anyway for the house sale. Comments?
I wouldn't classify the holiday home as an established residence as you are actually living in the UK. The daughters address is fine for the PR cards to be sent to.
Legally you are PRs so any problems you encounter will be with the airline if no PR cards.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

That is very good to know. Once again, thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

moosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond reputemoosemeadows has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hijack the thread but Former Lancastrian, are you saying that if you are PR and don't have your PR card then you need a PRTD when you return to Canada to settle even if you technically have a return ticket? I was originally planning on applying for a PRTD if I don't have my card in time but then I realised it's so much less expensive to get a return ticket than a one way!
Old Feb 9th 2016, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moosemeadows
Sorry to hijack the thread but Former Lancastrian, are you saying that if you are PR and don't have your PR card then you need a PRTD when you return to Canada to settle even if you technically have a return ticket? I was originally planning on applying for a PRTD if I don't have my card in time but then I realised it's so much less expensive to get a return ticket than a one way!
A PR without a PR card outside Canada should get a PRTD to return to Canada.
You would be dealing with the airline and if you had a one way ticket what proof do you have to show the airline you are a PR bearing in mind airlines do not accept COPR forms as proof. They can refuse you boarding without a valid PR card or PRTD.
You can still get a return ticket even if only going one way. You just don't use the return portion or see if the airline would refund the return leg after you have arrived in Canada.
After 15 March if no PR card or PRTD then eTA is required but as a PR you cannot apply for eTA so I suggest getting the PRTD if travelling after 15 March.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

We definitely will buy roundtrip tickets since we must return to "the old country" in the fall for the sale of the house, so, as Moosemeadows points out, buying roundtrip tickets seems to obviate the need for the PRTDs since we'd be buying tickets just like tourists as we always have. Have I understood this correctly now? Thank you both.