British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   passport request self addressed envelope ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/passport-request-self-addressed-envelope-658612/)

craig25 Mar 9th 2010 8:28 pm

passport request self addressed envelope ?

I have just had my passport request and 2 photos,i also need to send a self addressed envelope for return of the passport,do i have to put a stamp on the self addressed envelope ?,the thing is i would like my passport sent back to me recorded delivery or do cic pay the postage ?,may be a stupid question but i would just like to be sure

lins and Stef McLachlan Mar 9th 2010 9:12 pm

Re: passport request self addressed envelope ?

Hi
We did that. Sent ours Special delivery with a special delivery pre-paid inside the envelope. Go to the post office and get them to do the envelopes for you. They will weigh contents and then do a self addressed return one for the same value to pop in the envelope with your passports. No problem. Cost under £10 for the two envelopes, but a small price to pay for peace of mind, and guarantees next day delivery. The only thing we could do was track the one going to CHC, but as we did not know when they sent the second one back, could not track that one.
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by leeps (Post 8408061)
I have just had my passport request and 2 photos,i also need to send a self addressed envelope for return of the passport,do i have to put a stamp on the self addressed envelope ?,the thing is i would like my passport sent back to me recorded delivery or do cic pay the postage ?,may be a stupid question but i would just like to be sure

terese677 Mar 10th 2010 1:42 am

we did expresspost which were large cardboard type envelopes which were both prepaid and trackable. the expresspost were guaranteed 2 day delivery within Canada (we had to send ours to Fort Erie who then couriered them to Buffalo.
we put one of the envelopes with our address in the first making sure that we removed the tracking label so that we could track it when it was returned and with Canada post you could register your email address against the tracking number so that you knew when it was returned to you. This cost us just over $50 for both envelopes.

goodpikey Mar 10th 2010 8:01 am

i read in aprevious post a while back that cic pay for the postage so you just need to send an addressed envelope and not a stamped one. i hope this is right as i sent mine yesterday with no stamp on it! :o

lins and Stef McLachlan Mar 10th 2010 4:17 pm

Hi
They will, but it will be normal 1st class post, if you want to risk it
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by goodpikey (Post 8409344)
i read in aprevious post a while back that cic pay for the postage so you just need to send an addressed envelope and not a stamped one. i hope this is right as i sent mine yesterday with no stamp on it! :o

craig25 Mar 11th 2010 10:26 am

i thought if cic would pay for the return they would send it safe and not with a stamp,surely it would be there responsibility if they returned it with just a stamp and it got lost

el_richo Mar 11th 2010 11:17 am

You don't need to include any stamp or return courier. CIC should return via recorded delivery. In my case they did anyway and i've read others on here had the same service.