Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British Gas - Soooo unhelpful

British Gas - Soooo unhelpful

Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

NicknBridget is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Gas - Soooo unhelpful

I've just asked British Gas for a customer reference to pass on to NB Power when we move, only to be told they don't do references. They seemed very baffled by the idea that someone one day might want such a thing!

They are happy to print out and send every bill we've ever had from them over the years though, which will be a huge amount of paper.

It's sad that they can't break the mold and just get one person to type a letter. What ever happened to customer service?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all
Default Re: British Gas - Soooo unhelpful

Oh, Nuts!!!

I have just drafted my letter to them asking the same thing. I have an on-line account with them at the moment; and I can look at all my previous statements so maybe I can print them off from there?

Maybe you could do the same? I'm sure we are not the only one's to have this request?

Typical British Gas customer service
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrsr0binson
Oh, Nuts!!!

I have just drafted my letter to them asking the same thing. I have an on-line account with them at the moment; and I can look at all my previous statements so maybe I can print them off from there?

Maybe you could do the same? I'm sure we are not the only one's to have this request?

Typical British Gas customer service

I know, it's crazy isn't it? We are online customers too, so I'm just going to print the last 2 or 3 statements as proof of conduct of the account, but they offered me all the statements by post so I thought I'd make them do it as payback for being so utterly useless
Old Mar 8th 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicknBridget
I've just asked British Gas for a customer reference to pass on to NB Power when we move, only to be told they don't do references. They seemed very baffled by the idea that someone one day might want such a thing!
I guess that I'd be a bit baffled to be honest. When I moved over here over five years ago it didn't even occur to me that I should worry about bringing references from gas or electricity suppliers with me. Where would one stop?

We just got here, set up home and arranged our gas and electricity with out issue along with everything else. Phone etc. Have things changed since then? Are companies over here looking for such references?
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stepnek
I guess that I'd be a bit baffled to be honest. When I moved over here over five years ago it didn't even occur to me that I should worry about bringing references from gas or electricity suppliers with me. Where would one stop?

We just got here, set up home and arranged our gas and electricity with out issue along with everything else. Phone etc. Have things changed since then? Are companies over here looking for such references?
When we called NB Power they asked us for a reference. If we can't supply one there is a $200 deposit, which I think they keep for a year by which time I guess you've proved you are paying them
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Even changing provinces meant we had to pay a deposit to NB Power.

Bringing stuff from the UK like that can help with these things. I had difficulty getting a credit card with no credit record in Canada. My application was met with a refusal so I wrote a letter referring to the ownership of two properties with no mortgage as well as the credit limits on my UK cards and that didn't do any good either.

Then I wrote enclosing print outs of UK credit card statements showing 'current' spending and repayment activity and that worked.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 5:52 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to get a "reference" letter from my Electricity and Gas supplier (Powergen) before coming over.

Our Electricity and Water (same company) provider accepted it and didn't make me pay a deposit, but the Gas company didn't and took a $300 deposit, which I've just got back from them.

So, even if you do get a reference letter, there's no guarantee it will be accepted anyway....
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Ah well, we'll just have to offer them copies of our statements for the last few months with British Gas and if that doesn't work we'll have to pay the deposit.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

When we called NB Power they asked us for a reference. If we can't supply one there is a $200 deposit, which I think they keep for a year by which time I guess you've proved you are paying them
Ah okay. I guess we were just fortunate back then.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, we'll just have to offer them copies of our statements for the last few months with British Gas and if that doesn't work we'll have to pay the deposit.
British Gas said the same thing to me yesterday ... gits. Ah well, it may not make much difference anyway
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:48 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't sweat it too much - just remember to claim the deposit back, as invariably they won't give it to you automatically, in the hope that you forget and they can pocket it.....
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by G77
I wouldn't sweat it too much - just remember to claim the deposit back, as invariably they won't give it to you automatically, in the hope that you forget and they can pocket it.....
Good point. Easy to forget such things! Will make a note on calendar
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't have to claim back our deposit. It just happened.

Funny thing about a UK reference though. In the UK I was paying £35 a month for gas/electricity...and getting money back from them when the credit built up.

A reference showing I paid those bills on time is no guarantee of paying the $260 a month on our first equalised plan here.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:51 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK

A reference showing I paid those bills on time is no guarantee of paying the $260 a month on our first equalised plan here.
$260 a month My equalised plan is $79 a month!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:58 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I just set up my accounts on-line and never had to pay a security deposit - here or in BC!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.