Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passport photos?

Passport photos?

Old Oct 10th 2014, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport photos?

Take the photos back to Blacks, they should redo them or refund you. We've used Shoppers 5 times for UK passports now with no issues.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 11:56 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed 53 mm pics are of no use whatsoever, go back with the printed format and ask for some one who can read a Little
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:22 am
Just Joined

Bob_McBob is an unknown quantity at this point

I decided to take a different tack and try doing my own photos. I was able to take a nice dour self-portrait that met all the lighting and background requirements, and I used a couple of automated services for cropping and creating passport images with the appropriate spacing. I had them printed at two Zehrs/Loblaws Photolab locations and two Wal-Mart locations to cover my bases. All four sets of prints were unusable. The Photolab ones all had visible light lines running through the prints, and Wal-Mart magnified the printed image just enough to put it outside the face framing specifications (head too big).

Back to Blacks to get their useless $28 photo replaced. I can't believe what a saga this has become.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
I decided to take a different tack and try doing my own photos. I was able to take a nice dour self-portrait that met all the lighting and background requirements, and I used a couple of automated services for cropping and creating passport images with the appropriate spacing. I had them printed at two Zehrs/Loblaws Photolab locations and two Wal-Mart locations to cover my bases. All four sets of prints were unusable. The Photolab ones all had visible light lines running through the prints, and Wal-Mart magnified the printed image just enough to put it outside the face framing specifications (head too big).

Back to Blacks to get their useless $28 photo replaced. I can't believe what a saga this has become.
Did you try using your home printer? Most do photo paper these days. Failing that i'd just do it at shoppers.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 4:19 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe what a saga you have turned it into. Have you ever, in fact, had a passport application returned because the photos were out-of-spec?

Everybody else who has commented on this thread has had passport photos taken at any of several outlets throughout Canada. All of us have submitted applications with these photos. All of them have been processed. If you'd sent the photos you had done back in August you'd have had your passport back months ago. Just send the damn thing.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:52 pm
Britnadian

hpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of lighthpka is a glorious beacon of light

I had mine done a couple of years ago with London Drugs ones. They were cut down to size, and the passport was issued no problems at all. Makes sure you have the spec sheet (print from website) and make it clear you need British ones, although London Drugs also had the spec sheet as it turned out.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 10:04 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Had our done in Walmart last year. There was no problem with them except they made me take my glasses off
Old Oct 26th 2014, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

What you doing Bob?
It sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill!

Honestly, just go to a Shoppers or Walmart Supercentre as everyone is telling you. Why are you trying to do it yourself????
I went to a Walmart Supercentre earlier this year and I didn't even have the spec sheet. I asked if they did UK passport pictures, they said they did. It took literally all of 5 minutes. I didn't even check my photos to make sure they matched the specs because they all have these special cameras these days.
I had no issues getting my British passport back.

So, stop worrying and get it done!

Old Nov 6th 2014, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

To update, I decided to just send the original Shoppers photos to Durham by courier since it was coming up on the 90 day limit. They received the delivery last Friday (31 Oct), the online status system showed the declaration as received on Monday (3 Nov), and as of today (Friday 6 Nov) my passport has been dispatched. So much for a six week turnaround! It was even a first time overseas application where I sent scanned prints of my Canadian passport because I need to travel soon.

I definitely should have sent the photos back in August, but I was in no particular hurry and the photo guidelines were worrying. The photos I sent clearly didn't meet the requirements as written. The backdrop was bright white with bleed into my face, they were hand cut unevenly from larger prints to the point my face was actually outside the template on one copy, and one of the dimensions was almost a mm out. It makes me wonder just how bad they have to be before they are rejected.

It is worth noting you need to make it very clear you don't want the back of the photos stamped, because both Shoppers and Blacks tried to do it. I was impressed my guarantor actually managed to fit the written declaration on the back of such a small photo since my full name is fairly long.

I'll reply back when I receive the passport. I gather they send it out by DHL, which is often pretty slow.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

To update, I decided to just send the original Shoppers photos to Durham by courier since it was coming up on the 90 day limit. They received the delivery last Friday (31 Oct), the online status system showed the declaration as received on Monday (3 Nov), and as of today (Friday 6 Nov) my passport has been dispatched. So much for a six week turnaround! It was even a first time overseas application where I sent scanned prints of my Canadian passport because I need to travel soon.

I definitely should have sent the photos back in August, but I was in no particular hurry and the photo guidelines were worrying. The photos I sent clearly didn't meet the requirements as written. The backdrop was bright white with bleed into my face, they were hand cut unevenly from larger prints to the point my face was actually outside the template on one copy, and one of the dimensions was almost a mm out. It makes me wonder just how bad they have to be before they are rejected.

It is worth noting you need to make it very clear you don't want the back of the photos stamped, because both Shoppers and Blacks tried to do it. I was impressed my guarantor actually managed to fit the written declaration on the back of such a small photo since my full name is fairly long.

I'll reply back when I receive the passport. I gather they send it out by DHL, which is often pretty slow.

You sent it to Durham ????? I sent mine to Ottawa had it back inside a month, my pictures where wal-mart specials and no problem.

Old Nov 6th 2014, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

All passport applications from Canada must be sent directly to Durham as of August 2013.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

All passport applications from Canada must be sent directly to Durham as of August 2013.
did mine early last year so just missed that then lol
Old Nov 7th 2014, 1:40 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

What is so monumentally difficult about this?
Old Nov 7th 2014, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
What is so monumentally difficult about this?
This is the first passport photo thread that's gone on for longer than 3-4 posts
Old Nov 7th 2014, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

With all due respect,I don't think you guys read my latest replies to the thread. I sent in the declaration weeks ago and my application was already approved and dispatched. I only replied to let you and anyone reading the thread in the future know I took your advice and it worked out fine. If no one is interested in an anecdotal point about current processing and delivery times to Canada then I won't make any further replies on the subject.

I know from having thoroughly searched the forum that there are numerous older threads about passport photos with as many or significantly more posts. This is something that a lot of people worry about because it's so hard to get photos taken that actually meet all the written requirements. Most people simply send the first photos they have taken and hope they don't get rejected. In most older threads it was specifically noted that the British embassy in Washington wasn't very picky about passport photo requirements, and many people were able to get absurdly out-of-spec (e.g. totally uncut) photos approved. Many forum members aren't aware that as of August last year, all applications go to Durham, and the photos are now potentially subject to the same level of scrutiny as regular UK domestic applications.

As I said earlier, I should probably have just sent the Shoppers photos back in August, but the application wasn't urgent and it got put off for a couple of months because of family matters. I wanted to make sure it was approved, so I had the second set of photos taken at Blacks in October, and I only bumped the thread back up because they turned out to be so utterly useless.