Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Part Qualified accountant moving to Calgary

Part Qualified accountant moving to Calgary

Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:50 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Part Qualified accountant moving to Calgary

Originally Posted by JP1981
Hi Howe,
do you live in Calgary, if so what is live like over there.
No, I am afraid that I don't. I am in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Last edited by Howefamily; Jul 15th 2014 at 12:50 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 15th 2014, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Right now UK but will be moving to Calgary Sep 2014
JP1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Howie,
this surely sounds encouraging, i do have local contacts in Hayes and robert half here may be it would be worth asking them if they know there counterparts there. I guess its a long shot but atleast might work as a introduction. I have been working throught my own LTd company on contracts simply because it worked out better for me financially but most of the places i have worked are happy providing me a refrence if they have a email or phone call from perspective employers from Canada.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 5:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse1
... They will ask for references. Explaining UK corporates don't give references and prohibits employees from doing the same, won't cut it. You need to find a way around it...
I agree this is very important. Canadian employers want references and typically they will call a previous employer to chat about what you did and how you got on with colleagues and customers. The standard UK reference of "so and so worked from date to date in X role" will be interpreted as "this person is toxic."
Old Jul 15th 2014, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Crazyhorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Howie,
this surely sounds encouraging, i do have local contacts in Hayes and robert half here may be it would be worth asking them if they know there counterparts there. I guess its a long shot but atleast might work as a introduction. I have been working throught my own LTd company on contracts simply because it worked out better for me financially but most of the places i have worked are happy providing me a refrence if they have a email or phone call from perspective employers from Canada.
I think my wife asked in London but in the end, reaching out here and getting hold of someone worked.

Contracting here isn't like back home. There is not the same financial compensation and tbh, you will want the private healthcare coverage the employer gives you.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, Guys. sounds like its a different world out there. will i still get the private health care if i take a temp role. i have seen a few ofr them advertised but not quite sure how they work.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 11:55 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

will i still get the private health care if i take a temp role. i have seen a few ofr them advertised but not quite sure how they work.
Quite possibly not. I know of some that get the healthcare and some that don't. It all depends on the employer
Old Jul 16th 2014, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, so i need to find a role that gives me medical benifits then. I was under the impression that the medical system there is simular to the NHS here in the UK.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 2:26 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Provincial health care covers you for some things, but you need employment insurance on top of it for most care. In Ontario, for example, OHIP will cover your GP visits and in some cases your referral, but won't cover things like physio, chiropractor, podiatrist visits, orthotics, dentist, orthodontics, etc. It's more emergency care that's all covered (so if you break your wrist and go to the hospital you have full coverage) but preventative or regular care is not covered, which is where employer benefits come in.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks schnookololy. I understand it better now.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 3:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Extended health benefits are fine if the employer offers them but I think it is a stretch to say you need them. The plans typically cover prescription drugs, basic dentistry and physio/chiropractic/massage therapy. In many companies you part of the premiums and the insurance covers the majority, not all, of the cost.

For the employee the greatest benefit is that, if you join at the earliest possible date, they cover existing conditions. If you have a chronic problem that requires expensive ongoing drugs, for example, this is great. This is extremely expensive insurance. The insurance companies make a lot of money out of it. It is palatable because the employer is paying most of the premium (which is tax-deductible to them) and the benefit is not taxable to the employee.

It is a nice to have for sure, but if the other aspects of the job are right I would not turn it down just because there is no extended health scheme. You can pay as you go.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jonboye, Thanks for the explenation. This gives me a better idea about the benifit provided by the employer.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Hi JP,

Just catching up with your thread.

I moved over to BC last year after many years experience working as a CMA.

My experience is that you will want references, the better recruitment agencies will take them up before they shortlist you. I provided written references from previous bosses and also customers outside the Finance function and these helped me get the initial interview but without exception they then contacted the references directly - usually by email but occasionally by phone.

It is also worthwhile contacting the CPA and finding out about meetings they are holding once you are here. I found networking to be more important here than in the UK.

Good luck!
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Thansk theoldfields, will try and do that.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Thansk theoldfields, will try and do that.
Hi

I have lots of contacts in the industry (I own a bookkeeping company here in Calgary). I can send your resume around if you like? May or may not work, could be worth a shot though (If it works I can be paid in beer )

Cheers

Wayne
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Wayne,

Just sent you a PM, thought it would be easier that way.