Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Packing to move...

Packing to move...

Old Oct 25th 2016, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Packing to move...

Hi folks,

So- my husband's employment visa things are going through nicely- with his PhD it seems to be a much simpler process (the university were also kind enough to put us in touch with another Brit who'd just made the move so knew the process pretty well).
It looks like things will all be sorted mid-December. But we're tempted to wait until the beginning of January to come over. We're moving in with my inlaws on the Isle of Mull in Scotland from mid November- and it would be lovely to spend Christmas with them!
But- we're moving out of our flat on Monday (we rent) and are spending some time with other relatives in london before hand. so as you can imagine- the packing of things is proving insanely hectic!

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for what to bring when arriving in Calgary at the beginning of January?
We plan on coming over initially basically with 2 rather large hold-alls and 2 small suitcases that can be used as handluggage on the plane.
We then plan on having a few boxes shipped over to arrive shortly after we do- I was thinking of packing kitchen things and clothes/shoes for spring/summer in the boxes.

But I'd like to know for the 2 big hold-alls and 2 small handluggage suitcases, what you think would be helpful to come over with?

We've already got a house sorted for when we get there- though it's not furnished- so also any tips for where to go to to fill our house would also be really helpful (my initial thought was of course just Ikea!) we'll be in NW Calgary if that helps, near the university.

Thanks folks! :-)
Old Oct 27th 2016, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Packing to move...

Ikea is really accessible in Calgary, so if you like their stuff then fire in! My first apartment there had just about every one of the cheapest essential furniture Ikea sold my original bed was $50 and the mattress was $100...served me well for 6 months then was an excellent guest bed for the next 3 years

Calgary in my experience doesn't really have a Spring...the snow stays until around end of April and then it gets warm enough for t-shirts (although i basically wear hoodies 24/7/365 lol) - I would definitely bring a good set of shoes to walk around in if you plan on doing that, again I got by with sneakers for the duration of my stay there...regardless of temperature

A good bunnet and gloves are well worth the investment, but you may get better ones in Calgary itself than you could buy in Scotland...Marks Workwearhouse is great for winter gear

How are both of you planning on commuting? If both by personal vehicle then really you don't need much more than you'd wear during a UK winter lol
Old Oct 27th 2016, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Ikea is really accessible in Calgary, so if you like their stuff then fire in! My first apartment there had just about every one of the cheapest essential furniture Ikea sold my original bed was $50 and the mattress was $100...served me well for 6 months then was an excellent guest bed for the next 3 years

Calgary in my experience doesn't really have a Spring...the snow stays until around end of April and then it gets warm enough for t-shirts (although i basically wear hoodies 24/7/365 lol) - I would definitely bring a good set of shoes to walk around in if you plan on doing that, again I got by with sneakers for the duration of my stay there...regardless of temperature

A good bunnet and gloves are well worth the investment, but you may get better ones in Calgary itself than you could buy in Scotland...Marks Workwearhouse is great for winter gear

How are both of you planning on commuting? If both by personal vehicle then really you don't need much more than you'd wear during a UK winter lol
Thank you for your reply!
Commuting wise- my husband's job is literally a 5 minute walk from where we're living. And as I get an open work permit through his visa I won't be looking for a job until probably February ish! After about a month of being there so we've settled in and found our feet.

I normally hate Ikea furniture, but given that we may only be there for 2 years I don't want to be spending money on decent furniture.
We've been looking at various online shops at prices and things to get an idea.

Going by what you've said, I don't really think we'll need to get anything that we don't already have. We both have decent waterproof walking boots and shoes that we use for hiking in the UK, and both have various thickness of down jacket/coat. So I'm thinking/hoping we'll be okay. :-) So that's good to know!!
Old Oct 27th 2016, 2:48 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck on your move

Have you looked on Kijiji ? There are generally lots of items for sale on there, particularly when people are moving house. It advertises lots of yard sales too where lots of household basics can be picked up cheaply, especially if you are only planning initially on a couple of years.

The Thrift/Value Village/Salvation Army are good too, as are the Habitat for Humanity outlets, they often have ex hotel furniture which is serviceable, if dull.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 4:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Good luck on your move

Have you looked on Kijiji ? There are generally lots of items for sale on there, particularly when people are moving house. It advertises lots of yard sales too where lots of household basics can be picked up cheaply, especially if you are only planning initially on a couple of years.

The Thrift/Value Village/Salvation Army are good too, as are the Habitat for Humanity outlets, they often have ex hotel furniture which is serviceable, if dull.
+1

There's also JYSK, Canadian Tire and Walmart.

I'd also look at dollar stores for cutlery, kitchen bits and pieces etc., to tide you over.

Old Oct 27th 2016, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys! That's really helpful! I'd thought of Walmart for things like kitchen electronics- but mainly just because I'm familiar with Walmart and what they sell! But the other names of places are really helpful too. Going to write them down for when we get there.
I'm happy to get second-hand furniture (I prefer it to be honest) so thanks for the tips!
Old Oct 28th 2016, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Shame this wasn't 4 months ago...you could have bought all my second hand furniture I sold two beds, mattresses and boxsprings for like $150 the lot!

Also, Dollar Store kitchenware doesn't just tide you over...I was using tonnes of their utensils on a permanent basis, they're great!

Hamilton Beach appliances are cheap and do the job, but their longevity leaves a bit to be desired if its a heavily used piece
Old Oct 28th 2016, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haggis88
Shame this wasn't 4 months ago...you could have bought all my second hand furniture I sold two beds, mattresses and boxsprings for like $150 the lot!

Also, Dollar Store kitchenware doesn't just tide you over...I was using tonnes of their utensils on a permanent basis, they're great!

Hamilton Beach appliances are cheap and do the job, but their longevity leaves a bit to be desired if its a heavily used piece
Haha yeah, we're not so good with the timing!! Haha thanks for your help though!! Have been jotting these names of places down. Appreciate everyone's help! :-)