Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ottawa - whats it like?

Ottawa - whats it like?

Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:14 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa - whats it like?

Originally Posted by mardyarse
I agree with Lemonfish, good post. We've been here nearly 4 years now and love it in all its seasons.

The best place to bring up kids. Lots to do. However, because of the low crime and polite people it does lack an edginess to it that the bigger cities may have. However, having lived in numerous Cities over the world and countries that are perceived to be amazing, I wouldn't swap it for any of them.

I do my Christmas shopping in Syracuse across the border and we spend New Years in New York City only 6 hours drive.

I'm hearing so many English accents now when I'm out and about I think the secret is now out about this fabulous City.
And, of course, it's a lovely morning here today. I like days like this.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:33 pm
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvy
Me too.. I took this photo from one of our windows yesterday morning, a very similar day to today. I must have about 50 photos of this very same scene, but I don't care. It reminds me of one of the many reasons we live here.
Attached Thumbnails Ottawa - whats it like?-window_pic.jpg  
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:39 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgspoke
Me too.. I took this photo from one of our windows yesterday morning, a very similar day to today. I must have about 50 photos of this very same scene, but I don't care. It reminds me of one of the many reasons we live here.
I pity you. You also live in a miserable Ottineau hellhole
Old Dec 17th 2010, 3:54 pm
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

I pity you. You also live in a miserable Ottineau hellhole
Hahaha! Try to see past your cynicism souvy.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:33 pm
Slob

Hahaha! Try to see past your cynicism souvy.
One of us has lost the art of irony.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:54 pm
Reagent

One of us has lost the art of irony.
Not at all, neither of us has at a guess, maybe I should have put this at the end of my post
Old Dec 17th 2010, 6:29 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all, neither of us has at a guess, maybe I should have put this at the end of my post
Whilst I mostly agree with your comments and they are equally apposite for where I live in NB, your signature line removes, for me, a certain amount of credibility.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 6:49 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Tangram
Whilst I mostly agree with your comments and they are equally apposite for where I live in NB, your signature line removes, for me, a certain amount of credibility.
Why? What's wrong with Hampshire?
Old Dec 17th 2010, 7:00 pm
Reagent

Originally Posted by Tangram
How much is "certain amount of credibility", and why? Also to echo Souvy, what's wrong with Hampshire? Or indeed 2007? Or family?
Old Dec 18th 2010, 7:36 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful day today too. Skiing in the Gatineaus at Vorlage.

I assume the sipping pint by the river place is the Rockliffe Boathouse next to Rockliffe Park?

Now that place really is a hidden gem, its like being out by the water in the middle of the country, but few minutes from downtown. Summer only of course...
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:15 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Beautiful day today too. Skiing in the Gatineaus at Vorlage.

I assume the sipping pint by the river place is the Rockliffe Boathouse next to Rockliffe Park?

Now that place really is a hidden gem, its like being out by the water in the middle of the country, but few minutes from downtown. Summer only of course...
Now I know two places. The one I meant is Le Pirate on Jacques Cartier (dead opposite Rockliffe).
Old Dec 19th 2010, 6:41 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Now I know two places. The one I meant is Le Pirate on Jacques Cartier (dead opposite Rockliffe).
Have seen that place although never been there - assume is the bar next to where the Gatineau river feeds into the Ottawa?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:36 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Have seen that place although never been there - assume is the bar next to where the Gatineau river feeds into the Ottawa?
Yeah. A few hundred metres east of Lady Aberdeen. I can't vouch for the restaurant. We haven't used it but it looks quite nice. The bar terrace overlooks the river and is a pleasant stop-off on a cycle ride.