Reload this Page >

Ottawa - whats it like?

Ottawa - whats it like?

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:13 am
Just Joined

jussie18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ottawa - whats it like?

Hi JB!

Congratulations to you too!!! fantastic news!

Let me know where you will be heading too in terms of residential area!

I understand your nerves, even though we have lived in NS and NB previously I am still nervous to go somewhere new and I love Canada!

Good Luck with your reccie and the move!!!

Nina - thanks for your messages, will take you up on the offer see PM!!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

thefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to all

Congratulations! We moved to Ottawa last February, live downtown and love it. We have three children aged 1,4 and 6...if you want any more info or want to meet for a cup of tea when you have arrived feel free to pm me!

Melanie
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thefinneys
Congratulations! We moved to Ottawa last February, live downtown and love it. We have three children aged 1,4 and 6...if you want any more info or want to meet for a cup of tea when you have arrived feel free to pm me!

Melanie
Ha ha Melanie we can do a Brit coffee/tea club and play bridge (although I'm not British but miss England lots more than Germany)or just a proper girls night out, guess Justine will be up for that, especially when winter comes x
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

thefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to allthefinneys is a name known to all

sounds good to me, although if we wanted a proper 'English style' girls night out we would have to go further than Ottawa....ha ha!! We will make to make do with a quieter night out I think!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thefinneys
sounds good to me, although if we wanted a proper 'English style' girls night out we would have to go further than Ottawa....ha ha!! We will make to make do with a quieter night out I think!
I know...but will put my finest English style outfit on and tell Matt that I'll need a ly in next day lol
Sooooooooooo looking forward to a night out
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

jussie18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Melanie! Thanks for the offer, I would love a cup of tea!!! It would be great to meet you and meet with Nina too.

Girls night out? fantastic!!! Do your hubbys play football? I know my hubby would like to join a group that plays regular...are there any groups like that??
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jussie,

Yes my husband plays football. He found it quite hard to get onto a team when we arrived, he said they were quite competitive. He started going to a kick-around on a Sunday afternoon and from there a team was formed. Ironically it is a team full of 'immigrants' like us He says that there is only 1 Canadian on the team and the rest are Irish, Peruvian, from Central America etc....He really enjoys it and has made some good friends and they often go out to the movies or for beer, when he rolls in at 3.30am! When you get settled I will get my husband to give your husband the details!

Where are you thinking of living in Ottawa and how old are your kids!

Melanie
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:52 am
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Hi Everyone, just got on here and finding my way around the forum. Started with a search on 'Ottawa' and this thread was near the top, so I'll start here.

My family and I arrived here in September 2007 and have settled in Orleans, the eastern part of Ottawa. My daughter started her Canadian family 2 years ago with another baby to be born in October. It would be great to meet up with people coming over and we would be more than willing to show them around and pass on any information etc.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

mermaid2b is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Ottawa - whats it like?

Hello to all,

I'm new to the forum, i'm from montreal looking to move to ottawa, not sure were exactly, i'm single and looking to rent in a quiet and safe neighborhood. I don't drive so i have to use the public/trsp however i love to walk, and would not mind being close to a park or the river.
thank you,
mermaid2b
Old Dec 15th 2010, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jussie18
Hi All!

My husband is currently being recruited by a company in Ottawa. We are living in the UK at present but have previously lived in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

We would like to make an informed decision about a move to Ottawa, so would really like to hear from anyone who has lived/or is living there please.

Would like to know about:
*Schools
*Neighbourhoods - nice family neighbourhoods
*Realtors
*Weather
*Sports clubs etc
*Bugs
*Pros/cons
*helpful websites

Look forward to hearing from you!
Thankyou!

We are a family of 5 with 3 children under the age of 10 years.
I have never lived in Ottawa but have visited a few times. It's COLD in winter. I echo those that say it's not the most exciting place- it's pretty dull to be honest. However, it seems fairly clean and safe and is probably a good place to raise a family.

http://www.ottawaliving.ca/index.php
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:21 pm
Reagent

lgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nicelgspoke is just really nice

Originally Posted by mermaid2b
Hello to all,

I'm new to the forum, i'm from montreal looking to move to ottawa, not sure were exactly, i'm single and looking to rent in a quiet and safe neighborhood. I don't drive so i have to use the public/trsp however i love to walk, and would not mind being close to a park or the river.
thank you,
mermaid2b
The Vanier district in Ottawa has a less than good reputation but has a high rental density. Other than that there are quite a few good rental places (mainly apartment blocks) along the Ottawa river. Also along the Rideau canal which goes south from the centre there are similar properties near paths for walking/cycling. Here's a web site for more info-

http://www.247apartments.com/rentals/ontario/ottawa.asp
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:36 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mermaid2b
Hello to all,

thank you,
mermaid2b
Hi there

Presumably you'll want to live in or close to downtown if you don't drive, and if you're single and renting that would definitely be my recommendation. I'd avoid the outer burbs like Kanata or Orleans if you don't need a four bed house at a reasonable price.

You might want to consider:
- Byward market area - pricier, central, can be a little rough around the edges at night
- Centretown - less pricey, but a bit sketchier. I'd definitely move there over Vanier though. Area on mapquest would be north of the Queensway (417) probably until Somerset. Lots and lots of condo buildings of all kinds
- Glebe - pricey to buy but some reasonable rents, nice area. South of Queensway, bordered by the Canal and Bronson Ave. Fair amount of students
- Sandy Hill - close to downtown, nice housing
- Westboro - nice, pricer than some of the others
- Hintonburg - bit sketchier, cheaper, gentrifying
- Chinatown/Little Italy areas around Somerset and Preston St.

You'll have easy access to the River/Canal from all of these pretty much, good transit links, bars, restaurants etc.

I saw the usual comment on here about Ottawa being dull from someone who doesn't live here. Just to say, I don't find it dull and there's plenty to do including some great restaurants, bars, arts, access to nature, and all the usual stuff you'd find in a city of around 1 million people.

As a former Londoner with one of the world's great cities at my fingertips, my take on this is that 95% of your life is spent doing the day to day stuff. And I was in my twenties/early thirties.

My experience in London is that mostly you go from home to job, go out to bars and restaurants every so often, see friends, see the odd film and very occasionally do something cool that you couldn't do anywhere else (Tate Modern, great club, gig etc). Of course, if you're an extreme socializer/clubber/culture vulture/gourmet you'd get a lot more out of it I'm sure.

If you're used to living in downtown Montreal and have that kind of lifestyle, you might well find Ottawa a little lacking in excitement.

You will find plenty of refugee Montrealers though - Anglos who don't have great French and find their job opportunities limited in their home town, Francos who come for the plentiful and well-paid bilingual public service jobs and so on. I even know people who commuten from Montreal, god help them.

Welcome to the city, good luck with your search!
Old Dec 17th 2010, 10:57 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Hi there

Presumably you'll want to live in or close to downtown if you don't drive, and if you're single and renting that would definitely be my recommendation. I'd avoid the outer burbs like Kanata or Orleans if you don't need a four bed house at a reasonable price.

- Byward market area - pricier, central, can be a little rough around the edges at night
- Centretown - less pricey, but a bit sketchier. I'd definitely move there over Vanier though. Area on mapquest would be north of the Queensway (417) probably until Somerset. Lots and lots of condo buildings of all kinds
- Glebe - pricey to buy but some reasonable rents, nice area. South of Queensway, bordered by the Canal and Bronson Ave. Fair amount of students

You'll have easy access to the River/Canal from all of these pretty much, good transit links, bars, restaurants etc.

I saw the usual comment on here about Ottawa being dull from someone who doesn't live here. Just to say, I don't find it dull and there's plenty to do including some great restaurants, bars, arts, access to nature, and all the usual stuff you'd find in a city of around 1 million people.

As a former Londoner with one of the world's great cities at my fingertips, my take on this is that 95% of your life is spent doing the day to day stuff. And I was in my twenties/early thirties.

My experience in London is that mostly you go from home to job, go out to bars and restaurants every so often, see friends, see the odd film and very occasionally do something cool that you couldn't do anywhere else (Tate Modern, great club, gig etc). Of course, if you're an extreme socializer/clubber/culture vulture/gourmet you'd get a lot more out of it I'm sure.

If you're used to living in downtown Montreal and have that kind of lifestyle, you might well find Ottawa a little lacking in excitement.

You will find plenty of refugee Montrealers though - Anglos who don't have great French and find their job opportunities limited in their home town, Francos who come for the plentiful and well-paid bilingual public service jobs and so on. I even know people who commuten from Montreal, god help them.

Good post. I agree entirely with your dullness comment. Like most people, I don't spend my entire life clubbing, pubbing, gallerying etc. Ottineau has all I need and most of it is easy to get to.

And I know of a bar where you can sup a pint while gazing across the river. It's the only such place here that I am aware of.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:03 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Upon visiting for a few days we liked Ottawa and if my work took me there, we wouldn't have any qualms in moving there.

Last edited by Tangram; Dec 17th 2010 at 12:54 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish
Hi there

I agree with Lemonfish, good post. We've been here nearly 4 years now and love it in all its seasons.

The best place to bring up kids. Lots to do. However, because of the low crime and polite people it does lack an edginess to it that the bigger cities may have. However, having lived in numerous Cities over the world and countries that are perceived to be amazing, I wouldn't swap it for any of them.

I do my Christmas shopping in Syracuse across the border and we spend New Years in New York City only 6 hours drive.

I'm hearing so many English accents now when I'm out and about I think the secret is now out about this fabulous City.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.