Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ottawa to kamloops/okanagan

ottawa to kamloops/okanagan

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:38 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough
Question ottawa to kamloops/okanagan

hi...currently in rural kanata,just outside ottawa....all good....but countryside/scenery uninspiring.....looking for beautiful location.....can anyone advise on kamloops/okanagan.........we have 2 sports mad kids 7 & 10 so need a location with amenities and good schools......don't want to live in a big subdivision but want semi rural close to township......any thoughts ?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:22 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ottawa to kamloops/okanagan

Kamloops (N.Thompson region, rather than the Okanagan), is less pricey than places further south like Vernon, Kelowna, Peachland, Penticton etc.

If the kids love sport, IMO there's probably nowhere in BC outside of the greater Vancouver area for sports facilities and activities. This site will give you an idea about what's on offer: http://www.tourismkamloops.com/home_...on_ID_125.html

There are plenty of suburbs within 15 to 20 mins commute downtown that offer rural living - I'd take a look at Barnhartvale, Campbell Creek/Deloro, Rivershore (Shushwap Road), Cherry Creek and Knutsford in particular if you want small acreage that's still handy for the city. Slightly further afield (still under 30mins drive from downtown), look at Pinantan, Pritchard, and Heffley Creek/Lake (the latter being a handy 20 min drive from Sun Peaks ski resort).

There's some more general info regarding moving here at: http://www.city.kamloops.bc.ca/visitors/index.shtml

If you've any further questions about the area, feel free to drop me a line.

Last edited by R I C H; Jun 23rd 2008 at 9:35 pm. Reason: Additonal info added
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

chigirl will become famous soon enoughchigirl will become famous soon enough

for an idea of life in the okanagan you should check out www.accessokanagan.com lots of information, pictures and help from friendly posters.

hope this helps
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:53 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
If the kids love sport, IMO there's probably nowhere in BC outside of the greater Vancouver area for sports facilities and activities.
Kamloops: birthplace of freeride mountain biking.

Enough said.

R.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:38 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Added:

Kelowna: interesting yet crazy place. Full of whack jobs, scamsters, grumpy uptight neo-con retirees, skanky millionaires, British misfits, Eurotrash, rednecks, hobos, and everything else imaginable. Not really a place for the deadly dull though I presume they come here and shop or sit in their yard sleeping in the sun getting all wrinkly. Come here to be something, anything, but be something reasonably descriptive & interesting.

R.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:15 am
Just Joined

stprdi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Howard. We are in Kamloops and getting ready to sell our home. We live in the heritage area of downtown. You'll like it here and there's plenty for the kids to do. Skiing is close and mountain biking is great. The weather for spring and summer has been unusual this year. We haven't broke a sweat yet. Bring it on anytime.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by R I C H
Kamloops (N.Thompson region, rather than the Okanagan), is less pricey than places further south like Vernon, Kelowna, Peachland, Penticton etc.

If the kids love sport, IMO there's probably nowhere in BC outside of the greater Vancouver area for sports facilities and activities. This site will give you an idea about what's on offer: http://www.tourismkamloops.com/home_...on_ID_125.html

There are plenty of suburbs within 15 to 20 mins commute downtown that offer rural living - I'd take a look at Barnhartvale, Campbell Creek/Deloro, Rivershore (Shushwap Road), Cherry Creek and Knutsford in particular if you want small acreage that's still handy for the city. Slightly further afield (still under 30mins drive from downtown), look at Pinantan, Pritchard, and Heffley Creek/Lake (the latter being a handy 20 min drive from Sun Peaks ski resort).

There's some more general info regarding moving here at: http://www.city.kamloops.bc.ca/visitors/index.shtml

If you've any further questions about the area, feel free to drop me a line.
hi rich,thanks for the info......have looked at the area in more detail now andwe really like the look of kamloops.....with our kids we need to be near good schooling and recreational facilities.....can you recommend the 'best neighbourhoods' in the area and i will check them out............cheers for that........howard.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:47 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by howardk
hi rich,thanks for the info......have looked at the area in more detail now andwe really like the look of kamloops.....with our kids we need to be near good schooling and recreational facilities.....can you recommend the 'best neighbourhoods' in the area and i will check them out............cheers for that........howard.
'Best' is very subjective - if you mean most expensive, then look at Rose Hill, Dallas (those with river frontage), or Batchelor Heights. None of those could be described as semi-rural though, or likely to offer anything more than a decent sized back yard.

The areas I previously suggested are 'best' for semi-rural living and close, convenient proximity to downtown. Of them all, Barnhartvale and Rivershore are the two I'd choose.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:22 am
Just Joined

stprdi is an unknown quantity at this point

If I can jump in on this and even though I'd like you to consider my neighbourhood as one of the best....I think that the best neighbourhoods in Kamloops do not have the rec facilities and best schools. If you're looking for nice yard size I'd say Westsyde. It does have a pool and access to bike riding. I guess the rec facilities are in North Kamloops and Sahali. I'm keen on my neighbourhood, the West End where all the heritage homes are. We are central to it all, there is a good elementary school within 3 blocks, the high school is about 5 blocks, and a private school within 3 blocks. We are 4 blocks up from the river and arena and down the hill from the big pool. I'd say we are in a good location. Care to buy my home?????? We're listing it.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by stprdi
If I can jump in on this and even though I'd like you to consider my neighbourhood as one of the best....I think that the best neighbourhoods in Kamloops do not have the rec facilities and best schools. If you're looking for nice yard size I'd say Westsyde. It does have a pool and access to bike riding. I guess the rec facilities are in North Kamloops and Sahali. I'm keen on my neighbourhood, the West End where all the heritage homes are. We are central to it all, there is a good elementary school within 3 blocks, the high school is about 5 blocks, and a private school within 3 blocks. We are 4 blocks up from the river and arena and down the hill from the big pool. I'd say we are in a good location. Care to buy my home?????? We're listing it.
hi...which area on the mls is the 'west end'..........thanks.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:16 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by howardk
hi...which area on the mls is the 'west end'..........thanks.
It comes under 'South Kamloops'. It's basically adjacent to the downtown core. Nice enough, but certainly not rural.