Reload this Page >

Ottawa Info Required

Ottawa Info Required

Old Apr 18th 2018, 8:25 am
Banned

rsbhj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ottawa Info Required

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've no idea why you've got this attitude, and why you felt the need to insult JG in your deleted thread, but please don't. The mods give their time freely and try to keep the forum a nice place for all, which includes deleting duplicate content (and duplicate accounts).
I didnt feel it was a duplicate post as I was reaching out to families specifically about living there rather than a general post. I dont make the rules, but the BE policing to me it seems complete overkill, and some take that responsibility a little too far, in my own opinion.

I guess we move on and obey rules at all times or face the wrath of BE.

Its going to be hard for me to get the advise from families under this post as first they have to wade through the weather stats and how great they are, and questions on why I would what to know information form people who actually live there. The title of this post also does not attract family posters I am seeking. Hence my new thread, but obey rules we all must.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 8:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rsbhj
I didnt feel it was a duplicate post as I was reaching out to families specifically about living there rather than a general post. I dont make the rules, but the BE policing to me it seems complete overkill, and some take that responsibility a little too far, in my own opinion.

I guess we move on and obey rules at all times or face the wrath of BE.

Its going to be hard for me to get the advise from families under this post as first they have to wade through the weather stats and how great they are, and questions on why I would what to know information form people who actually live there. The title of this post also does not attract family posters I am seeking. Hence my new thread, but obey rules we all must.
Yes, you must - which includes Site Rule 16 about not having multiple usernames, and Site Rule 15 about moderator actions. Seems you need to re-read those rules again?

A simple solution would have been to just nicely ask for your thread title to have been amended, which we would have happily done. Because mods are here to help, despite what you seem to think.

Any further questions or comments about mod actions, take it to PM please. Let's try and get your thread back on track and see if anybody wants to help you eh?
Old Apr 18th 2018, 12:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

so looks like I need to continue on this thread the jobs worth at BE demand this and rules must be obeyed at all times.

I am looking to hear from families living in Ottawa, and how they find it.

We are family of 4, kids are 5 and 3 just now. We live in Scotland, and looking for a change, and with Australia now not possible, and my wife having Canadian citizenship we are looking further into this option.

Toronto/Vancouver were for us unaffordable. Calgary is an option but its remoteness really puts me off. Next on list Ottawa.

Looking to hear what family life is like in Ottawa, what's some good suburbs to look at, generally and honest what you like and don't like about Ottawa.

Suburbs we would be looking to buy a house for around $550k-650k ¾ bed.

I know I cant dictate who replies etc and everyone is free to post whatever they want but I am really looking to hear specifically from families currently or previously living/lived in Ottawa.
A question that helps with making responses more valuable. What is it you and your spouse do or want to do for a living? That may dictate where you live more than anything else.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 1:53 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses, some great and on the ball of the post, some very not so, unfortunately the way a BE forum can go. I personally will be closing this post down, and wont be replying again on this post, but thak those who kept the replies on the post.

Thanks again
They come - and they go....
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

lmgtfy is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings. I’m new to this forum, but thought I’d post about living in Ottawa. I’ve been a resident of the city for about 35 years.

Yes, the winters have periods when it can be very cold. Yes, the summers have periods when it can be hot and humid. However, by taking a very short drive (or moderate bike ride) you can be in Gatineau Park, a National Park, with activities for all seasons: lakes, cycling trails, mountain bike trails, groomed cross country skiing trails, snowshoeing, or just head over and go for a walk. Alpine skiing (options as close a 20 minute drive from downtown; drive to higher hills in about a 1.5 to 2 hours. Those activities can cool you off in the summer, and warm you up in the winter Within the city limits there are an abundance of bike trails along the Rideau Canal, the Rideau River, from the ‘burbs to downtown, etc. We have super-sporty residents, and folk like me ... less “sporty”, but I use my bike to get around.

Ottawa is known as a ‘family-friendly’ city — this is true, from our experience. Lots of options for children and youth re: extracurricular and during school breaks. Neither of our kids were into hockey, and they had a plethora of options from African drumming, to swimming, to dance, to music, skating, skiing, I think there are three or four places where you can get your youngsters into fencing, soccer/footie, etc etc etc. National, provincial and local museums of all sorts. NHL franchise, CFL franchise,

After completing school, and we started house-hunting, we opted to live in a neighbourhood closer to the downtown area rather than the suburbs (personal choice), so we can walk to shop for groceries, and most other things we need on a daily basis. People like to complain about the public transit, but our kids use it multiple times daily, as I did for about 15 years before we got a car. However, the light rail system’s first couple of lines will,open this Fall, and bicycles are a popular mode of transportation for recreation and for commuters...some people cycle in every season.

There is a thriving high-tech community, as well stereotypical government jobs.

Your kids can get a great public school eduction in English or French, or you can opt to enroll them in a private school, there are a few in the city. There are two respected universities, but Ottawa is not far from other cities with bigger schools.

By car, about two hours to Montreal; 5 hours to Toronto.

Caveat: to fly to many places, you’ll likely have to fly to a bigger hub and need to connect; there aren’t a lot of direct flights to international destinations.

For $500K to $650K, you might get a house closer to downtown, I emphasize might. The yards will probably be smaller, but there are many public parks, where someone else has to care for and mow the lawn Most of those parks usually have outdoor rinks in the winter that are made and maintained by volunteers in the neighbourhood residents’ association.

HTH, and we have had such icky weather this Spring, that the first person I hear complain about how hot it is, when it finally warms up, will get a icy stare hahahaha.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Sassy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmgtfy
Greetings. I’m new to this forum, but thought I’d post about living in Ottawa. I’ve been a resident of the city for about 35 years.

Yes, the winters have periods when it can be very cold. Yes, the summers have periods when it can be hot and humid. However, by taking a very short drive (or moderate bike ride) you can be in Gatineau Park, a National Park, with activities for all seasons: lakes, cycling trails, mountain bike trails, groomed cross country skiing trails, snowshoeing, or just head over and go for a walk. Alpine skiing (options as close a 20 minute drive from downtown; drive to higher hills in about a 1.5 to 2 hours. Those activities can cool you off in the summer, and warm you up in the winter Within the city limits there are an abundance of bike trails along the Rideau Canal, the Rideau River, from the ‘burbs to downtown, etc. We have super-sporty residents, and folk like me ... less “sporty”, but I use my bike to get around.

Ottawa is known as a ‘family-friendly’ city — this is true, from our experience. Lots of options for children and youth re: extracurricular and during school breaks. Neither of our kids were into hockey, and they had a plethora of options from African drumming, to swimming, to dance, to music, skating, skiing, I think there are three or four places where you can get your youngsters into fencing, soccer/footie, etc etc etc. National, provincial and local museums of all sorts. NHL franchise, CFL franchise,

After completing school, and we started house-hunting, we opted to live in a neighbourhood closer to the downtown area rather than the suburbs (personal choice), so we can walk to shop for groceries, and most other things we need on a daily basis. People like to complain about the public transit, but our kids use it multiple times daily, as I did for about 15 years before we got a car. However, the light rail system’s first couple of lines will,open this Fall, and bicycles are a popular mode of transportation for recreation and for commuters...some people cycle in every season.

Your kids can get a great public school eduction in English or French, or you can opt to enroll them in a private school, there are a few in the city. There are two respected universities, but Ottawa is not far from other cities with bigger schools.

Caveat: to fly to many places, you’ll likely have to fly to a bigger hub and need to connect; there aren’t a lot of direct flights to international destinations.

For $500K to $650K, you might get a house closer to downtown, I emphasize might. The yards will probably be smaller, but there are many public parks, where someone else has to care for and mow the lawn Most of those parks usually have outdoor rinks in the winter that are made and maintained by volunteers in the neighbourhood residents’ association.

HTH, and we have had such icky weather this Spring, that the first person I hear complain about how hot it is, when it finally warms up, will get a icy stare hahahaha.

Hello,
First time posting but wanted to say I found your comment to be very informative! I/we are thinking again about moving to Canada. Not clear where though! Will be posting and asking for advice soon.

Last edited by Sassy1; Apr 22nd 2018 at 9:32 pm. Reason: Spelling error
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:16 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmgtfy

Not a lot? For most of the year the only destination that isn't trans-border or down south is London (Frankfurt is not year-round). I don't understand why the airport is as big as it is. Most of the gates don't seem to be in use and the duty-free shop seems pointless.

What you didn't mention is the growing violent crime rate. Not quite on a par with London or New York yet but it's getting there.

As for the weather, I reckon I'll be getting my shorts on today. Finally.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Not a lot? For most of the year the only destination that isn't trans-border or down south is London (Frankfurt is not year-round). I don't understand why the airport is as big as it is. Most of the gates don't seem to be in use and the duty-free shop seems pointless.

What you didn't mention is the growing violent crime rate. Not quite on a par with London or New York yet but it's getting there.

As for the weather, I reckon I'll be getting my shorts on today. Finally.

Didn't you know? It's the Federal government town, so is a hub for several airlines to get MPs and their aides back home.

As far as I am concerned ............ it is a far nicer airport to have to change planes when flying across the country than either Calgary or Toronto
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:16 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

We've lived in Kanata for the past 18 years and enjoying it. This Ottawa suburb has plenty to offer on its own as well as the surrounding area. Easy to get to places like Toronto; Montreal; Quebec; NY state; Niagara Falls.
Direct flights from Ottawa to London and Frankfurt. That works for us.
Plenty of work in IT and although a lot is government and military connected, you can manage quite well without French language. Housing costs are more reasonable than Toronto. Weather is tolerable and you get used to it eventually. Can get very cold in Winter, but usually not much wind, so you don't feel it. Summers can get quite humid, but that humidity doesn't last long. Summer and Winter seasons are long and Spring and Autumn are short duration.