British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Ottawa Info Required (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ottawa-info-required-911795/)

rsbhj Apr 17th 2018 1:39 pm

Ottawa Info Required

Hey
We were previously researching moving to Toronto or Vancouver, after initial research this was not possible with cost of living and house prices.

Calgary was then suggested and that looked a good option but the remoteness of Calgary’s location put me off.

I am now thinking Ottawa could be a good choice.

House prices seem to be more favourable like Calgary.

The main thing for me wanting to leave Scotland is the weather, I have mentioned this previously so won’t go into it again.

In comparisons between Ottawa and Calgary in weather to me would be both have great summers better than Scotland, the winters are prob on par between Ottawa and Calgary in snow fall, but Ottawa is prob more a wet winner rather than a dry cold winter like Calgary.

Would that be a fairly brief correct assumption or can someone advise me better?

In my own opinion I believe the weather would be better than what I have in Scotland. Winters may be colder and snowy but overall, more sun and less rain, and more blue sky wins it for me.

Overall from this post I am looking on information about Ottawa weather, good family suburbs (I have looked at (Orléans, Barrhaven, Kanata so far), and generally what’s it like to live there.

I do not speak French but I also do not work in government roles etc, I had read this may be a problem for those types of jobs.

Thanks in advance and happy to provide more information.

In summary we are a family of 4 (38, 37, 6 and 3), would look to buy a house for around $550k-650k ¾ bed. The hot humid summers does not bother us, we visit hot countries ever year, and myself and wife lived in Australia for a year and loved the weather, (issue for Oz is that my occupation has been removed from list for the required Visa). My wife is also Canadian Citizen by decent (never been) however has all the proof/docs and passport, so easier for us to all go.

Engineer_abroad Apr 17th 2018 2:22 pm

Re: Ottawa Info Required

All environment Canada climate data is readily available for free on line. Links below are for the climate normals for Calgary and Ottawo airports

Canadian Climate Normals 1981-2010 Station Data - Climate - Environment and Climate Change Canada

Canadian Climate Normals 1981-2010 Station Data - Climate - Environment and Climate Change Canada

rsbhj Apr 17th 2018 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad (Post 12483411)
All environment Canada climate data is readily available for free on line. Links below are for the climate normals for Calgary and Ottawo airports

Thanks and I have used these, but was more looking to hear from people actually living there to get an idea, rather than charts and graph data, they are useful but nothing better than hearing if from the people that live there

I had used MSN yearly charts, and from that seen Calgary has more snow days, is dryer, and not as warm in summer as Ottawa. Ottawa warmer summers is what is attracting compared to Scotland however there does appear a lot of rainfall in Ottawa something I had hoped to escape!

Novocastrian Apr 17th 2018 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by jhbsr (Post 12483423)
Thanks and I have used these, but was more looking to hear from people actually living there to get an idea, rather than charts and graph data, they are useful but nothing better than hearing if from the people that live there

Why?

rsbhj Apr 17th 2018 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12483462)
Why?

Why? Can you please explain what you mean by Why?

I thought the point in the forum was to hear from people in these places or people who had spent time in them.

Why would you even bother posting "Why" its a pretty obvious answer

Tangram Apr 17th 2018 3:25 pm

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Novocastrian Apr 17th 2018 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by jhbsr (Post 12483470)
Why? Can you please explain what you mean by Why?

I thought the point in the forum was to hear from people in these places or people who had spent time in them.

Why would you even bother posting "Why" its a pretty obvious answer

I asked why you think people's opinions are more valuable than hard data?

rsbhj Apr 17th 2018 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 12483471)
Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Can you elaborate, do you find the charts and graphs to be incorrect?

rsbhj Apr 17th 2018 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12483473)
I asked why you think people's opinions are more valuable than hard data?

I never said either were more valuable, just its good to hear from people who live there and experience the climate, the data is handy and a guide which is freely available.

The forum allows comments form people who have actually lived there that was my point.

Novocastrian Apr 17th 2018 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by jhbsr (Post 12483478)
I never said either were more valuable, just its good to hear from people who live there and experience the climate, the data is handy and a guide which is freely available.

The forum allows comments form people who have actually lived there that was my point.

But the Environment Canada data is an objective statement of the reality of being there.

If you want opinions, then mine is that anyone relocating to either Ottawa or Calgary for the weather is slightly mad.

dbd33 Apr 17th 2018 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12483484)
But the Environment Canada data is an objective statement of the reality of being there.

If you want opinions, then mine is that anyone relocating to either Ottawa or Calgary for the weather is slightly mad.

I didn't care for the weather in Ottawa, the brief break in the winter came with swarms of bugs. I reckon that, if you're going to endure six months of misery, you likely want some days with good weather when you can go outside, get some vitamin E.

I haven't tried Calgary. I believe the growing season there to be about a week and a half, which isn't encouraging.

Aviator Apr 17th 2018 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jhbsr (Post 12483478)

Data is a record over a long period of time. Peoples opinion varies on their recollection and tolerances. Folks who have lived somewhere for a short period of time will likley have different views to someone who has been there for a longer time. Opinions are subjective and not something I would base a move decision on.

Environment Canada has some useful data on its website. We have lived in our area several decades. I have a vague recollection of past summers and winters, but not that good I could say warmer, drier, wetter, colder year on year.

dbd33 Apr 17th 2018 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12483493)
Data is a record over a long period of time. Peoples opinion varies on their recollection and tolerances. Folks who have lived somewhere for a short period of time will likley have different views to someone who has been there for a longer time. Opinions are subjective and not something I would base a move decision on.

Environment Canada has some useful data on its website. We have lived in our area several decades. I have a vague recollection of past summers and winters, but not that good I could say warmer, drier, wetter, colder year on year.

While I do agree with this, I think there is also value in opinion. I might, for example, not notice the average wind speed in a weather chart, but someone saying "that's a windy spot" would catch my attention.

Novocastrian Apr 17th 2018 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12483491)
I didn't care for the weather in Ottawa, the brief break in the winter came with swarms of bugs. I reckon that, if you're going to endure six months of misery, you likely want some days with good weather when you can go outside, get some vitamin E.

I haven't tried Calgary. I believe the growing season there to be about a week and a half, which isn't encouraging.

As you know, I've not lived in either place but, also as you know, I lived for a total of 26 years in and around Toronto, which was bad enough.

I've also spent a good deal of time in Ottawa, mostly in the winters which were unspeakably worse than in Toronto. Spring in both places is a Tuesday in May and the summers are hot and unbearably humid.

Now Scotland isn't Saint Tropez, but I'd prefer it (for the weather) to Ontario.

Partially discharged Apr 17th 2018 4:33 pm

I live in Ottawa and have for 23 years. I spent about 13 years in Toronto/Waterloo and from a weather perspective I prefer Ottawa. Not a popular opinion on this forum although there are some rather nesh people posting.

Winters in Ottawa are I believe snowier than Calgary and definitely snowier than Toronto. Summers are warmer and more humid than Calgary and I believe definitely warmer overnight than Calgary. It is probably wetter overall in Ottawa but in the summer the precipitation tends to be in thunderstorms which can be hit and miss and it rarely rains slightly all day (aka Scotland).

In winter in Ottawa you can do things...ski, snowshoe, skate on the canal. Winter in the 416 is often a slight bit of snow, snirt (snow and dirt mixed together), and brownish grass peaking through the snow. If you believe that running shoes/trainers are an appropriate method of footwear for sub zero temps and that your feet won't get soaked then the 416 lifestyle may suit. Less of that in Ottawa.

I think Ottawa and Toronto summer temps are fairly close. Winter is definitely colder in Ottawa than Toronto. Since I've been here I think I've seen -32 c on the car temp thingy but don't recall much below about -25 in Toronto and when that happens it is the end of the world in Toronto.

Once you get away from the great lakes in the winter the temps drop. Algonquin Park is a prime example of that.