Ottawa

Old Feb 11th 2018, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

DRRW17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ottawa

Hi All

I'm hoping that my work visa comes through for me to be able to move from the UK to Ottawa. I'm a 31 year old, single female and wondered if anyone could give any insight on how easy it is to meet people/make new friends in Ottawa. I've visited there already and am aware it doesn't have such a big social scene like say Vancouver but wondered if anyone has been in this situation and how did you find it integrating?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa

Originally Posted by DRRW17
Hi All

I'm hoping that my work visa comes through for me to be able to move from the UK to Ottawa. I'm a 31 year old, single female and wondered if anyone could give any insight on how easy it is to meet people/make new friends in Ottawa. I've visited there already and am aware it doesn't have such a big social scene like say Vancouver but wondered if anyone has been in this situation and how did you find it integrating?
We moved to a small town south of Ottawa in November. No idea what the scene might be for a single 31 year old, but for us (50-somethings!) we have found the neighbours to be generally curious and friendly without being nosey. We go to the local tavern and after a couple of trips, people realised we were 'new locals' and invariably struck up conversations with us. We have found Canadians to be much more approachable and friendly than the UK. And all of this is in the midst of one of the coldest winters in recent years. They love my wife's British accent and that is always a conversation starter! Having said that, there seem to be quite a few Brits in our local tavern, so we are hardly a rarity!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Ottawa has a decent social life. All depends what you want and what interests you.

A local gym and do some classes can build some contacts.
Join a sports club - XCross Skiing for example

I can recommend https://www.meetup.com and you just filter for the type of things you want to do.

https://www.meetup.com/ottawa-social...dTJtX2a5B_Kvgp
Ottawa Citizen | Events in Ottawa
ByWard Market - There's Always Something Happening In the ByWard Market
https://www.ottawatourism.ca
Old Feb 14th 2018, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
We moved to a small town south of Ottawa in November. No idea what the scene might be for a single 31 year old, but for us (50-somethings!) we have found the neighbours to be generally curious and friendly without being nosey. We go to the local tavern and after a couple of trips, people realised we were 'new locals' and invariably struck up conversations with us. We have found Canadians to be much more approachable and friendly than the UK. And all of this is in the midst of one of the coldest winters in recent years. They love my wife's British accent and that is always a conversation starter! Having said that, there seem to be quite a few Brits in our local tavern, so we are hardly a rarity!
Thanks! Yes there seems to be a surprising number of Brits in Canada - and there I was thinking we didn't travel all that well. I think the key will probably just be striking up conversation with everyone then.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

I was 31 and single when I moved to Canada. I was thinking the exact same thing back then. How do you meet people when you're in your 30's....and I'm not the sort of person who goes to pubs/clubs to meet people.
Anyway, I joined E-harmony (never in my life had I done something like that before!), and that's where I met my other half. We're not married so I can't call him my husband, but we've been together for nearly 9 years now and how a house and 2 children together. Life couldn't have worked out more better for me here.
I hope you meet people in Ottawa, it's a great place, I used to live there a long time ago.
Good luck!
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Thanks! Yes after visiting last year it's surprising how many of us are in Canada, and yes they seem to love the accent.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NavyBoy
Ottawa has a decent social life. All depends what you want and what interests you.

A local gym and do some classes can build some contacts.
Join a sports club - XCross Skiing for example
Thanks for the meet up link. I'd probably look to join a local gym, I'm not incredibly sporty but have read that's how a lot of people tend to meet through joining sports teams and was worried I'll struggle since it's not really something I want to have to force myself to participate in but I guess it depends how eager I am to meet people.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pinzo
I was 31 and single when I moved to Canada. I was thinking the exact same thing back then. How do you meet people when you're in your 30's....and I'm not the sort of person who goes to pubs/clubs to meet people.
Anyway, I joined E-harmony (never in my life had I done something like that before!), and that's where I met my other half. We're not married so I can't call him my husband, but we've been together for nearly 9 years now and how a house and 2 children together. Life couldn't have worked out more better for me here.
I hope you meet people in Ottawa, it's a great place, I used to live there a long time ago.
Good luck!
I guess that's a good enough way to meet friends providing I'm safe and sensible about it all.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Given your age I'd doubt it's very easy. Younger people pick up friends easily but most people in their early thirties have their set groups and are involved with raising their families.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Given your age I'd doubt it's very easy. Younger people pick up friends easily but most people in their early thirties have their set groups and are involved with raising their families.
Vote for most helpful post of the year...?

To the Op - Going by the professional profiles of Canadians, it would seem that every man and his dog (and woman as I should probably be inclusive) are involved in various sporting, social or charity activities. On that basis, I would hope that there would be opportunities to get involved in something you are interested in.

This isn't a Canada specific issue though - wherever a person moves to requires an open mind to trying new things and meeting new people. Throw yourself into the opportunities and it won't be a problem.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
Vote for most helpful post of the year...?

To the Op - Going by the professional profiles of Canadians, it would seem that every man and his dog (and woman as I should probably be inclusive) are involved in various sporting, social or charity activities. On that basis, I would hope that there would be opportunities to get involved in something you are interested in.

This isn't a Canada specific issue though - wherever a person moves to requires an open mind to trying new things and meeting new people. Throw yourself into the opportunities and it won't be a problem.

I totally agree. Haha

Obviously I'd hope to maybe meet people through getting a job anyway it yes seems the most sensible approach is just to have a go at things I maybe wouldn't do back here in the UK
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Get a part time job at 'The Keg' or one of the other big chain restaurants, or a gastro pub / high end independent restaurant. Yes, I know that sounds bizarre but that's how my son got to meet people when he arrived in his late 20's. They usually have a wide range of people working for them, from 20 somethings at Uni to management in their 40's and up. They normally have social gatherings, staff parties etc., and 'friends of friends' is a great way to increase your circle. I wouldn't suggest it as a permanent thing, but just for a few months or so to give you the opportunity to meet people. (The tips are pretty darn good too!)

Old Feb 26th 2018, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

waltsdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I moved to Ottawa 3 years ago (I was 32) having lived in Toronto for a couple of years before that.
Meeting people and making a new group of friends was far, far easier than in Toronto. Everyone here was a lot more friendly and open (TO, everyone was too cool haha), still takes time and effort but it was worthwhile.

What sort of things do you like to do, music sports, activities etc.?
More than happy to give some pointers for places to go, activities etc.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Get a part time job at 'The Keg' or one of the other big chain restaurants, or a gastro pub / high end independent restaurant. Yes, I know that sounds bizarre but that's how my son got to meet people when he arrived in his late 20's. They usually have a wide range of people working for them, from 20 somethings at Uni to management in their 40's and up. They normally have social gatherings, staff parties etc., and 'friends of friends' is a great way to increase your circle. I wouldn't suggest it as a permanent thing, but just for a few months or so to give you the opportunity to meet people. (The tips are pretty darn good too!)

Good idea! Also a nice chain with 4 outlets around Ottawa is Moxie's. Good food, mid-range and excellent service.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the meet up link. I'd probably look to join a local gym, I'm not incredibly sporty but have read that's how a lot of people tend to meet through joining sports teams and was worried I'll struggle since it's not really something I want to have to force myself to participate in but I guess it depends how eager I am to meet people.
I went the the RA Centre which is beside the Billings Bridge Mall in Ottawa. And lots of friendly people there, I made a lot of friends. Also the membership is quite reasonable.

I used the RA Centre eventhough there was a much cheaper and newer gym almost across the road from my flat. But that gym had the usual body builder types that "reserved" machines and benches. RA Centre everyone was great at sharing and the staff are great.

Last edited by rawsalad; Feb 27th 2018 at 12:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.