Ottawa

Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ottawa

Originally Posted by Davomarc12
Hi,

We are strangely in a very similar situation to yourself. Visa permitting we are hoping to land early summer 2017, with our two children that are 10 & 6. We went on a fact finding holiday with the kids back in May 2016. Myself and my husband are back out in 8 weeks, just to help shed some clarity on which are to settle in.

Before we visited Ottawa last year we were completely sold on Stittsville, but upon our visit fell in love with Manotick. After returning home and doing our research the work commute has really left us sceptical if this is the right place for us. We haven't as yet secured a job, but I'm thinking that its more likely to be in Ottawa than anywhere else. At least you have a job secured and have a good idea of where you need to be for schools and commutes. Its hard planning such important things from a laptop.

Jodi
Interesting! We are sold on Manotick and hope to be there in Summer 2017 as well. But then neither of us will have to commute so not a factor for us.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

All depends on where job location is. In parts of Stittsville you can be on OC Transpo reasonably easily and there is a park and ride in Kanata as well. Manotick not so much. Manotick has more estate residential where public transit really isn't financially feasible. Manotick does however have a more intact 'high street' albeit overrun with fudge shops, artisinal kale shake emporiums and the lululemon brigade. House prices I would think are higher in Manotick but it does have the river and all of its amenities close by. Stittsville on the other hand is at the base of the regional garbage dump

Hi,

We are strangely in a very similar situation to yourself. Visa permitting we are hoping to land early summer 2017, with our two children that are 10 & 6. We went on a fact finding holiday with the kids back in May 2016. Myself and my husband are back out in 8 weeks, just to help shed some clarity on which are to settle in.

Before we visited Ottawa last year we were completely sold on Stittsville, but upon our visit fell in love with Manotick. After returning home and doing our research the work commute has really left us sceptical if this is the right place for us. We haven't as yet secured a job, but I'm thinking that its more likely to be in Ottawa than anywhere else. At least you have a job secured and have a good idea of where you need to be for schools and commutes. Its hard planning such important things from a laptop.

Jodi
Old Jan 14th 2017, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Twink1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with you completely we were the same when we came over last time. The places we were sold on from researching at home weren't the same when we came over in person We were really lucky with the job offer, made original contact by phone and then when we went over they told my partner they would like to hire him.
Of course now we have been advised that Ottawa would suit them better initially we are kicking ourselves we didn't visit.
Getting a bit anxious about the whole process as because oh will be working I'll have to settle the kids and with such difference ages it is hard to please them all. We will have to keep in touch, be nice to have someone in the same position Katrina

Hi,

Jodi
Old Jan 14th 2017, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Davomarc12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it's scary when you consider everything. Where abouts are you moving from Katrina?

We have been trying to look a little closer to Ottawa around Centrepointe but then also been looking at Hunt club just West of Ottawa. Obviously not knowing where we will get a job doesn't really help things, but we just want to make sure it family orientated for the kids.

When we go over in 8 weeks were going to get up early everyday and pretend to go to work lol. Were planning to rent like you so at least we have options, only problem is I believe you have to move schools if you move out of the catchment. So much to consider.

Ive not been using this long Katrina, but you should PM me it would be nice to keep in touch and see how your plans are going
Old Jan 14th 2017, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Davomarc12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Interesting! We are sold on Manotick and hope to be there in Summer 2017 as well. But then neither of us will have to commute so not a factor for us.
Its a gorgeous place! Has a great vibe about the place and especially for bringing up a family. The only thing that I think will prevent us in the end is the commute. Its sad to avoid it just for this but theres no point moving for a better life to spend hours and hours driving everyday. Im jealous of your situation!
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

aldavidson is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you are working in the centre of Ottawa, which is unlikely as it's mainly government, you can't spend hours commuting in the Ottawa area. If you will initially rely on public transport and don't know where you'll work, Manotick is not a good choice. Housing is relatively expensive and there's little bus service. Manotick is very nice though but most families there will be at least one-car more likely two-car. If you will have a car later, wait until then to decide where would be good to live. Initially if without a car, try to rent somewhere reasonably close to a number of bus routes or an interchange. I'd suggest looking at the public transport area map at Welcome to OC Transpo

Considering school catchment areas for residence is important. There are two main school boards Public and Catholic. There's plenty of sources of school reviews by googling the school name. Kanata high schools North of the 417 have good reputations.

Outside of the city centre commuting by car is the easiest and should not take more than half an hour between most places, unless crossing the city which should be avoided.

By the way on Stittsville, only one part is close to the dump. There are many nice family oriented areas there. Local facilities are good. Main thing lacking is a Public board high school but I believe there are plans for one now. The Catholic high school Sacred Heart is good and many non-catholics opt to go there.

Any more specific questions I'll be glad to help.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 9:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Its a gorgeous place! Has a great vibe about the place and especially for bringing up a family. The only thing that I think will prevent us in the end is the commute. Its sad to avoid it just for this but theres no point moving for a better life to spend hours and hours driving everyday. Im jealous of your situation!
I participated in a community effort to build a children's park in Manotick; swings, slides, see-saws, that sort of thing. I expect the park is what makes it gorgeous.