British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Ottawa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ottawa-889924/)

Twink1978 Jan 11th 2017 7:06 am

Ottawa

Hello we are all on track with regards to our visas etc. Partner has secured a job with a company based in Kanata. Looking to start around summer time 2017. We have been over on 2 fact finding trips already but concentrated on the GTA so now this job offer has thrown us a wee bit. We would like to rent originally till we can find something more permanent.
Any suggestions/advice would be hugely appreciated!! We have 3 children aged 17, 13 and 4. Have been looking at Statesville, Westboro areas but so difficult to know what its really like from a family point of view. Have also noticed that the weather seems more extreme towards Ottawa but hey thats why we chose Canada 😀

Partially discharged Jan 11th 2017 12:45 pm

Re: Ottawa

Originally Posted by Twink1978 (Post 12148819)
Hello we are all on track with regards to our visas etc. Partner has secured a job with a company based in Kanata. Looking to start around summer time 2017. We have been over on 2 fact finding trips already but concentrated on the GTA so now this job offer has thrown us a wee bit. We would like to rent originally till we can find something more permanent.
Any suggestions/advice would be hugely appreciated!! We have 3 children aged 17, 13 and 4. Have been looking at Statesville, Westboro areas but so difficult to know what its really like from a family point of view. Have also noticed that the weather seems more extreme towards Ottawa but hey thats why we chose Canada � ����

Hello Twink. I"m in the west end of Ottawa so ask away. I think the community you meant is Stittsville (aka Stittsvegas or Sticksville). Westboro is rather expensive (SFR's start at about $800 K CDN while in Stittsville you can get a SFR for about $425 and the same in Kanata). All three areas are quite family orientated.

In terms of schools for a 17 year old (we have a 16 year old), if born in 1999 he/she would likely be in grade 12 which is the final year of school before college/university.

Ottawa weather is colder than Toronto/GTA especially in the winter so there is more snow on the ground and it stays longer. It was -27 or so one morning in December but we were in the south of France at the time !!!! There are a lot of winter deniers in the GTA who try and make it through the winter wearing trainers and then moan when the trainers get soaked or their feet are frozen. Summers in Ottawa are more similar to the GTA.

PM if you want more details.

Twink1978 Jan 11th 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks very much i will message you when we are nearer arrival time. It is Stittesville sorry predictive text must have changed it. Any advice you can give us would be fantastic. A bit nervous about the whole process !!
Katrina

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12149043)
Hello Twink. I"m in the west end of Ottawa so ask away. I think the community you meant is Stittsville (aka Stittsvegas or Sticksville). Westboro is rather expensive (SFR's start at about $800 K CDN while in Stittsville you can get a SFR for about $425 and the same in Kanata). All three areas are quite family orientated.

In terms of schools for a 17 year old (we have a 16 year old), if born in 1999 he/she would likely be in grade 12 which is the final year of school before college/university.

Ottawa weather is colder than Toronto/GTA especially in the winter so there is more snow on the ground and it stays longer. It was -27 or so one morning in December but we were in the south of France at the time !!!! There are a lot of winter deniers in the GTA who try and make it through the winter wearing trainers and then moan when the trainers get soaked or their feet are frozen. Summers in Ottawa are more similar to the GTA.

PM if you want more details.

NavyBoy Jan 11th 2017 1:46 pm

I live in Stittsville and love the area. We have everything we need around here and Kanata and only go downtown for work or because we want to (i.e. not having to go for shops and services etc).

You are a 25 min drive (no traffic) from downtown and people will try and tell you it is too far. Rubbish.

The Ottawa area is smaller and less frantic than GTA. It has its downsides like fewer bands and acts visiting Ottawa and needing a trip to Toronto to see big live acts but in reverse there is lots of culture and outdoor things in and around.

Westbro is lovely but expensive. Also less space and you get less for your cash. In Stittsville/Kanata and area there are lots of new properties being built so plenty of decent homes. Rentals are cheaper out here compared to Westbro. I would recommend renting for the first year to get a feel for the area. We did and now own in Stittsville.

The village, and it does try and be a village, is nice. A good cross between big malls (Bayshore a short drive or bus away), box stores and small retailers. Plus it has Quitters coffee shop and the Cheshire Cat Pub.

The only problem for Stittsville is despite the fastest growing population in Ottawa, and due to grow more as the Military move out to Carling Campus and the growth of Kanata tech industries, there is no public High School. You kids can either go to the French High School, the Catholic High School or spend 20 mins on a bus to go to the nearest one. Bad and something we are campaign to change. That said the RC school is fine and we will send our daughter there as it is a 5 min walk compared to a cold wait at the bus stop and then 20 min ride in the big yellow school bus.

Happy to talk more via PM

Hurlabrick Jan 11th 2017 1:48 pm

We recently had to decide on Toronto (suburbs) vs Ottawa (suburbs). We wanted to be within striking distance of a good sized city with international air links in Ontario (starts to narrow down pretty quick!).

We had no problem in choosing Ottawa - just really liked it! I think you will find house prices in general are cheaper in Ottawa if you compare 'like area with like area'. Ottawa seems to us to be big enough to have most things, but still small enough that within 10 miles you are in the countryside. The airport international flights, but not a huge choice of direct flights, but Montreal airport is only 1.5 to 2.0 hours drive away if you need a bigger international hub.

The climate in Ottawa is a bit more extreme than Toronto, sure - although winters are getting later and later these days! Summers can be hot and super-humid.

It's all a matter of opinion of course. If you have had previous recce's of Toronto, then a more detailed recce of Ottawa would be a good idea and provide the sort of comparison you need.

If your work is in Kanata, then you would be best to live around there, forget about living say to the east of Ottawa and commuting west - the commuter traffic if fierce. So you would seem to be looking in the right areas (we checked out Stittsville, lots of newer estates with young families). You could move a bit further out, like say Carleton Place or Almonte (very pretty town) and commute in to Kanata, but I don't think your kids would thank you!

Twink1978 Jan 11th 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks for all replies. Definitely looking for a community to hopefully make some friends:) At the moment we are a 25 min drive from the city so thats not overly important too. Girls are just looking for a gymnastics club as they are all keen gymnasts. Will check out some more of these places and then pm you all. Many thanks !!

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12149125)
We recently had to decide on Toronto (suburbs) vs Ottawa (suburbs). We wanted to be within striking distance of a good sized city with international air links in Ontario (starts to narrow down pretty quick!).

We had no problem in choosing Ottawa - just really liked it! I think you will find house prices in general are cheaper in Ottawa if you compare 'like area with like area'. Ottawa seems to us to be big enough to have most things, but still small enough that within 10 miles you are in the countryside. The airport international flights, but not a huge choice of direct flights, but Montreal airport is only 1.5 to 2.0 hours drive away if you need a bigger international hub.

The climate in Ottawa is a bit more extreme than Toronto, sure - although winters are getting later and later these days! Summers can be hot and super-humid.

It's all a matter of opinion of course. If you have had previous recce's of Toronto, then a more detailed recce of Ottawa would be a good idea and provide the sort of comparison you need.

If your work is in Kanata, then you would be best to live around there, forget about living say to the east of Ottawa and commuting west - the commuter traffic if fierce. So you would seem to be looking in the right areas (we checked out Stittsville, lots of newer estates with young families). You could move a bit further out, like say Carleton Place or Almonte (very pretty town) and commute in to Kanata, but I don't think your kids would thank you!

Atlantic Xpat Jan 11th 2017 2:31 pm

My Sister-in-Law & family live in Stittsville & we visit once a year or so. I rather like Ottawa & although the extremes in climate would take some getting used to, I'd much prefer to live there than the GTA.

Although Stittsville is a bit sprawly, there are some decent shops and restaurants/food trucks there. Plus a craft brewery where you can buy beer by the growler:thumbup:! My sil lives on the "Crossing Bridges" sub-division which is all slightly twee but not an unattractive place to live. I'd possibly be tempted by an older property with more land if I were looking in the area though.

One point I would bear in mind with older kids is that you will likely be doing a fair amount of chauffeuring around - although there is public transit to Ottawa & Kanata. (B-i-L gets the bus to work sometimes). Also probably need to budget a car for the kids when they get to that age. But thats the same across Canada IMHO.

Hurlabrick Jan 11th 2017 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12149187)
Plus a craft brewery where you can buy beer by the growler:thumbup:!

Not to mention to 'Old Mill' British style pub and micro brewery at the very quaint village of Ashton - about 12k from Stittsville (but for heaven sake don't live there, it is a tiny village!).

They will even lend you a kegerator if you buy a few kegs for a party (ask me how I know :beer::beer:)!!!

Atlantic Xpat Jan 11th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12149199)
Not to mention to 'Old Mill' British style pub and micro brewery at the very quaint village of Ashton - about 12k from Stittsville (but for heaven sake don't live there, it is a tiny village!).

They will even lend you a kegerator if you buy a few kegs for a party (ask me how I know :beer::beer:)!!!

Oh. I'll have to check that out when we visit in the summer. I have been to the Cheshire Cat but was a little disappointed as their only cask ale at the time was some godawful brown-ale/blueberry concoction which was vile.

Hurlabrick Jan 11th 2017 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12149210)
Oh. I'll have to check that out when we visit in the summer. I have been to the Cheshire Cat but was a little disappointed as their only cask ale at the time was some godawful brown-ale/blueberry concoction which was vile.

Youll love it. Really nice place in an old 19C mill building and several choices of their own brews!

Partially discharged Jan 11th 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12149246)
Youll love it. Really nice place in an old 19C mill building and several choices of their own brews!

I've been a number of times and yes it is nice and in the summer a nice place to sit outside at the back overlooking the river. In the winter it is on a crossroads of a few snowmobile routes so don't be surprised to see sleds outside.

Their beers are sometimes hit and miss and I prefer the Ashton IPA

Ashton Brewing Company

The same people who own the Ashton Pub also own a place on Bank Street called Quinn's which is a place full of character and characters

quinnsalehouse

One of the few places remaining where you can get Cinquante on draught in Ottawa

dbd33 Jan 11th 2017 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12149266)

One of the few places remaining where you can get Cinquante on draught in Ottawa

That certainly suggests character.

Partially discharged Jan 11th 2017 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12149287)
That certainly suggests character.

It is a rare artisinal beer now savoured by those in the know.

pdarwin Jan 11th 2017 11:20 pm

I live in Kanata for the past many years. If your job is in Kanata then the best place to live is likely Kanata. No point living in Stittsville or Westboro. North Kanata, where we live and where most of the technology sector is, is preferable - very little crime and nice neighbourhoods. You're welcome to PM me. I know the area well and many of the companies that operate here, especially with IT. There are some nice apartment blocks for renting. The one we used to live in costs about C$ 1200 pm now. You can rent a townhouse in the same area for about the same price. Usually all 2-bedroom.

Davomarc12 Jan 14th 2017 10:04 am

Hi,

We are strangely in a very similar situation to yourself. Visa permitting we are hoping to land early summer 2017, with our two children that are 10 & 6. We went on a fact finding holiday with the kids back in May 2016. Myself and my husband are back out in 8 weeks, just to help shed some clarity on which are to settle in.

Before we visited Ottawa last year we were completely sold on Stittsville, but upon our visit fell in love with Manotick. After returning home and doing our research the work commute has really left us sceptical if this is the right place for us. We haven't as yet secured a job, but I'm thinking that its more likely to be in Ottawa than anywhere else. At least you have a job secured and have a good idea of where you need to be for schools and commutes. Its hard planning such important things from a laptop.

Jodi :)