Oshawa - UOIT

Old Jan 20th 2018, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough
Default Oshawa - UOIT

Hello,

University of Ontario Institute of Technology in Oshawa has a 4 year Bachelor Program in Medical Laboratory Science. The end degree is in Bachelor of Health Science Honours in Medical Laboratory Science.
I believe this is the only program in Ontario that gives qualifications to work in the lab as the medical laboratory scientist.

This is a new-ish University and my son who is interested in applying this year is wondering if anyone heard any good/bad opinions about it.

He worries that the Oshawa University isn’t known/recognized enough and maybe he should wonder off somewhere like UBC or University of Alberta for similar program.

Is Oshawa a nice place itself to study in or is it similar to places like Thunder Bay ( Lakehead University ).

Could anyone share their opinion?

Thank you,
Old Jan 20th 2018, 11:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oshawa - UOIT

Oshawa is horrible. It's an industrial town that the industry left. If I were him I'd try for UBC.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oshawa is horrible.
I drove through it on my way to Montreal. dbd comment sums it up well based on my stop over. The parking lot and all the closed down shops. I was thinking this is so close to Toronto but a world away.

If I think Mississauga is bad, Oshawa is dire to be kind. Good luck with your move.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.facebook.com/pg/myuoit/reviews/
The University of Ontario Institute of Technology (StudentsReview) - Comments, Reviews and Advice, Student Life at The University of Ontario Institute of Technology
https://yconic.com/discussion/univer...echnology/t748
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:16 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean Medical Laboratory Technologist then there are more choices.

https://www.cma.ca/En/Pages/medical-...echnology.aspx

Also read this, College of Medical Radiation laboratory Technologists Ontario

http://www.cmlto.com/index.php?optio...221&Itemid=748

And this
https://www.csmls.org/

Though they are 6 year courses with placements so it might not be what you are thinking of.

Last edited by bats; Jan 22nd 2018 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

To add, speaking with a colleague today. Canadian born and breed, he had nothing good to say about the place except the property is on the up, based on prices 5 years ago.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oshawa is horrible. It's an industrial town that the industry left. If I were him I'd try for UBC.
I agree if the OP is fabulously wealthy, UBC is a good university and beautiful campus but the living costs are huge. The university cannot even accommodate most of its students in university accommodation now as they sold most of it privately to fund their new building programs.

For the cost of living and as good education I would got for UoA.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I agree if the OP is fabulously wealthy, UBC is a good university and beautiful campus but the living costs are huge. The university cannot even accommodate most of its students in university accommodation now as they sold most of it privately to fund their new building programs.

For the cost of living and as good education I would got for UoA.

Fake news !!!!!

UBC has NOT "sold most of its university accommodation"

True facts:-

Most of the recent (last 10-20 years) building around the central UBC campus has been on the Endowment Lands, lands that were set up by the government in 1907 (!!!!!!!) to provide income for the support of the university.

Houses and condos built on those lands can be bought by the public but are leasehold from the university. Many are also let or sold at reduced prices to faculty and staff. They are also part of an unincorporated community, but with an Official Community Plan to govern how development takes place. No mayor or council, but they elect a Metro Vancouver Director for what is known as Vancouver Area A.

Money obtained from those houses have been used to build residences on the campus itself, which are available for letting ONLY to UBC students.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 2:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I agree if the OP is fabulously wealthy, UBC is a good university and beautiful campus but the living costs are huge.
My daughter went there because it was the economical option. She was not fabulously wealthy and lived in a rooming house nearby like, you know, like a student.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough

Thank you so much for all responses. After further research he is gong to UBC.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 1:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Fairy Tales
Thank you so much for all responses. After further research he is gong to UBC.
Good luck to him.