Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario driving license for a UK visitor?

Ontario driving license for a UK visitor?

Old May 20th 2015, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Redgamble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ontario driving license for a UK visitor?

Hey, quick question. Getting nowhere searching online.

I have an Ontario driving license from when I was over there on a work permit, I've had no need to swap it in for a UK one since I've been back in the UK. The only difference is, since I've been away my parents have moved house, meaning I'll have to go in to a service Canada to change the address on the license.

Am I physically able to do this if I'm there as a visitor, or do they ask for proof of landing (work permit, PR number etc). The license is valid thru 2017, so it's comfortably in date.

Thanks.
Old May 20th 2015, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario driving license for a UK visitor?

Originally Posted by Redgamble
Hey, quick question. Getting nowhere searching online.

I have an Ontario driving license from when I was over there on a work permit, I've had no need to swap it in for a UK one since I've been back in the UK. The only difference is, since I've been away my parents have moved house, meaning I'll have to go in to a service Canada to change the address on the license.

Am I physically able to do this if I'm there as a visitor, or do they ask for proof of landing (work permit, PR number etc). The license is valid thru 2017, so it's comfortably in date.

Thanks.
If not currently working or living in Canada then why not swap it back for a UK one?
2 x scenarios I can imagine happening with your current Ontario licence.
1. CBSA examine you on entry and find the licence what are your answers. No work permit, not a PR, not a student and parents still living in Canada
mmmmm red flags anyone
2. Driving along in Canada pulled over by the Police for whatever. Cop asks to see or what your status is in Canada mmmm several hour delay or suspected of being an illegal and taken into custody.
Of course these are just scenarios and never happen to real life people.
You decide what driving licence you would be more comfortable with.
Old May 20th 2015, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Yeah. That's fair enough. I just wasn't sure if I was physically allowed an Ontario license if just a visitor. I know my mum got one while she was technically a visitor waiting on her PR card. But if it's more hassle than it's worth, I'll just swap it back.
Old May 21st 2015, 11:58 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redgamble
Yeah. That's fair enough. I just wasn't sure if I was physically allowed an Ontario license if just a visitor. I know my mum got one while she was technically a visitor waiting on her PR card. But if it's more hassle than it's worth, I'll just swap it back.
Why would you want an Ontario licence anyway when you live in the UK?
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:40 am
Just Joined

I just didn't get round to changing it back when I moved back to England. I've not needed a car here, so it didn't even cross my mind. It was only when I was packing for this visit I remembered I had it.

I called service Ontario the other day to ask them if I could use it as a visitor and they said it's fine as long as it's it's in date.