Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario Driving License - After 3 months

Ontario Driving License - After 3 months

Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice
Default Ontario Driving License - After 3 months

Stupidly really I have only just realized there is a time limit on when you can exchange your UK driving license for an Ontario driving license, mainly because I haven't had to drive since moving to Canada.

I'm currently on a TWP, and its been much longer than 3 months now. Does this mean I can't swap my UK license for an Ontario one at all?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Driving License - After 3 months

Do you intend on driving in Canada as you state you havent needed to so far.
Personally Id just visit the nearest Ontario Driving centre and ask them can you do the reciprocal swap over. I tend to think the time scales are to do with if caught driving after the alloted time to change over.
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/faq/Faq.aspx
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Phoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nicePhoresis is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Do you intend on driving in Canada as you state you havent needed to so far.
Personally Id just visit the nearest Ontario Driving centre and ask them can you do the reciprocal swap over. I tend to think the time scales are to do with if caught driving after the alloted time to change over.
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/faq/Faq.aspx
I'd like the option to be able to drive in Canada, and it made sense to me to exchange my UK license before it expires in September. Looking on the DriveTest site they don't seem to make any mention of a 3 month period and infact all they ask for is the driving license, passport, and $75.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

They never asked me how long I had been in Canada when I switched it, all I needed was my UK Licence, and $75, I cannot remember if I needed my passport, probably did.

But its really easy! Might as well try, worst they can say is no!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:24 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottyxx
They never asked me how long I had been in Canada when I switched it, all I needed was my UK Licence, and $75, I cannot remember if I needed my passport, probably did.

But its really easy! Might as well try, worst they can say is no!
I didn't need my passport, just used my Permanent residency card and it was good enough. $75 and you get a 5 year drivers license (in my case replacement as I handed my last one 'ICBC drivers license' in while in BC last year.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wonderwoman1st
I didn't need my passport, just used my Permanent residency card and it was good enough. $75 and you get a 5 year drivers license (in my case replacement as I handed my last one 'ICBC drivers license' in while in BC last year.
I don't have permanent residency ... yet.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Best ask an MTO agent.

Driver and Vehicle Licensing:
416-235-2999 or 1-800-387-3445
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/faq/FAQ.aspx#19 and http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/exchangeoutprov.aspx

A newcomer to Ontario who holds a driver-license from another province or country is required to apply for an Ontario driver's licence within 60 days of taking up residence in the province.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 14th 2012 at 10:11 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
http://www.drivetest.ca/en/faq/FAQ.aspx#19 and http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/exchangeoutprov.aspx

A newcomer to Ontario who holds a driver-license from another province or country is required to apply for an Ontario driver's licence within 60 days of taking up residence in the province.
Very true.
But only if they intend to drive. I could arrive here with a valid UK driving licence with no intention of driving and they (Ont) would not know I was here and holding a UK licence. Now the question is lets say 6 months down the road I now want to drive the question should be is will they let me swap over or will they insist that I start from scratch.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Wags18uk is just really niceWags18uk is just really niceWags18uk is just really niceWags18uk is just really niceWags18uk is just really niceWags18uk is just really niceWags18uk is just really niceWags18uk is just really niceWags18uk is just really nice

Don't forget you give up your UK licence so if you back to the UK you will need to apply and pay for a new one
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

So just an update. I went and exchanged my license. It turned out to be incredibly simple, all I needed was my passport, driving license and $75.

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoresis
So just an update. I went and exchanged my license. It turned out to be incredibly simple, all I needed was my passport, driving license and $75.

Happy driving
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

is that just for ontario or is it that easy in other provinces? say alberta?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You can check for yourself Google is your friend

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/drivers_licence.cfm
Old Jul 24th 2012, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
is that just for ontario or is it that easy in other provinces? say alberta?

Yep, same here. All you will need is your passport and something with your Canadian address (your bank statement will do).

It cost me $53.90

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.