Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario College of Teachers

Ontario College of Teachers

Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:34 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario College of Teachers

Originally Posted by lmartin1000
Regulation specifies "four semesters". Which may or may not mean two years. In that classic Canadian way obviously.

So can undergraduates take teacher ed courses/credits that would count towards the four semesters?
Old Feb 12th 2017, 12:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramallblade
I'll email you tomorrow. I'm going to appeal but will probably be a complete waste of time.
Did you do a PGCE in addition to the 3-year degree?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Comebackseason is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Now a PR in Canada and have had my application for membership of the Ontario College of Teachers rejected. Obviously I can appeal but I have been told that I need to complete another years worth of full time study at undergraduate level.

Totally farcical. I have been teaching in the UK for the last 10 and a half years and 5 years of this as a Deputy Head Teacher. The OCT application does not even consider professional experience merely academic experience in the application process.

I am not looking for a lecture on this, just anyone with any knowledge of the OCT application process, successful appeals etc.

Cheers.
Teaching in Ontario is just not a thriving career. Many teachers who have graduated within the last 5 years are simply supply teaching hoping to get full time hours and working another job on the side.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Comebackseason
Teaching in Ontario is just not a thriving career. Many teachers who have graduated within the last 5 years are simply supply teaching hoping to get full time hours and working another job on the side.
I'd hazard a guess that you could substitute Ontario in your post with Canada and it would be just as true. It certainly is here in Newfoundland. (My wife is a teacher) and I have a Brother in Law who could only get a teaching position in BC if he headed way north. (Terrace).

Teaching is a (relatively) well paid career in Canada once you have broken into it. That breaking in can take years & of course one needs to eat in the meantime.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:09 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'd hazard a guess that you could substitute Ontario in your post with Canada and it would be just as true. It certainly is here in Newfoundland. (My wife is a teacher) and I have a Brother in Law who could only get a teaching position in BC if he headed way north. (Terrace).

Teaching is a (relatively) well paid career in Canada once you have broken into it. That breaking in can take years & of course one needs to eat in the meantime.
1. Don't forget in BC the recent court case win by the BCTF has the provincial gov't dumping buckets of money into hiring new teachers. $50 million this year. BCTF wins landmark Supreme Court of Canada ruling over B.C. government | Vancouver Sun
Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

they are very well paid in Canada! I don't doubt that but from what I understand the author wrote she is applying to the ONTARIO college of teachers..

Many people come to Ontario thinking it will be as easy to get a teaching position as it is in England but that's not the case. Even B.Ed education has be changed to 2 years rather 1 to lower the amount of students trying to go into the profession.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...ng-talent.html

Also for OP in Canada teaching in generally a 5 year post secondary level of education. In Ontario it has now been made 6 years, so I believe that was a fair enough assessment.

http://www.macleans.ca/work/jobs/two...ull-time-work/

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/21...rio-are-scarce

edit: oops sorry just read your whole post. The state of teaching in Canada is just so sad, people are having less children and the uni's keep pumping out graduates with little to no hope of even part time supply jobs for the next 5-10 years.

Also OP, I had a similar problem I am Canadian who moved to the UK. I did a 2 year accelerated Bachelor's in Nursing program here in Ontario and the NMC told me the length of my nursing education was inadequate and I was asked to practically re-train. I took it as a chance to retrain in a completely different career path which I enjoy now. Maybe you might consider doing the same? Or would you like to possibly to a B.Ed by distance education?

Last edited by Comebackseason; Feb 24th 2017 at 5:40 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

edit: oops sorry just read your whole post. The state of teaching in Canada is just so sad, people are having less children and the uni's keep pumping out graduates with little to no hope of even part time supply jobs for the next 5-10 years.

Also OP, I had a similar problem I am Canadian who moved to the UK. I did a 2 year accelerated Bachelor's in Nursing program here in Ontario and the NMC told me the length of my nursing education was inadequate and I was asked to practically re-train. I took it as a chance to retrain in a completely different career path which I enjoy now. Maybe you might consider doing the same? Or would you like to possibly to a B.Ed by distance education?
Yes, thats my point. This isn't something specific to Ontario, it is likely the same in other provinces. It's also not just an impact to the new immigrant - if we wanted to move from Nfld to ON my wife would go right to the bottom of the seniority list with the OCT and have to subsitute for years before getting into contract and then permanent position. Or in other words start at the bottom. She already did that in Nfld when she returned home (with me in tow) after teaching in the Uk for 5 years.

Teaching. Nursing. Lawyering. All professions where if you didn't study or work in Canada it doesn't really count.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 10:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Or would you simply prefer to wave two fingers at the ****ed up bureaucracy in Canada?
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:04 am
Just Joined

The OCT response:

As stated in Section A) of the credential assessment report dealing with Academic requirements you received, to be acceptable, the degree must be considered equivalent to a degree granted by an Ontario postsecondary institution. It must also represent a minimum of three years of study, or three years and four semesters of study if the program combines academic and professional coursework.

As Bachelor of Education (Honours), which combined academic and professional coursework, was three years in duration, this credential does not represent three years and four semesters of study in total, and therefore, it does not satisfy the academic registration requirement.

As stated in Section B) of the credential assessment report, we have allocated two years of your three-year Bachelor of Education (Honours) program towards satisfying the College’s academic registration requirement.

To become certified to teach in Ontario, you must complete five full degree-credit courses (equivalent to one year of full-time study) at an approved postsecondary institution.

I will probably be submitting an appeal.
Applying for an appeal would be your first step.

If they still ask you to complete 1 year of further undergraduate education is it possible for you to do this through distance education? I know Athabasca university is a good option for this. I don't know of any uni's in the uk that may offer this
Old Feb 25th 2017, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Or would you simply prefer to wave two fingers at the ****ed up bureaucracy in Canada?
Unfortunately my problem was with the nursing midwifery council, but hey what can I do. I decided to move knowing that there was a chance my qualifications wouldn't matter.

Like mentioned above professional designations are hard to achieve as a foreign graduate.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Pminette is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmartin1000
Regulation specifies "four semesters". Which may or may not mean two years. In that classic Canadian way obviously.
Yes it is now two years in a b.ed program which is in addition to your undergrad.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Oink is probably correct, and they will be unmovable on the requirements.

Best thing is (as Oink says) find all your past PD evidence and submit that to show progression. If not, you will likely have to do a bridging course of some kind. Can they specify what units exactly you are missing?

"Four semesters" is specified instead of two years because some people not take them consecutively (ie, someone may take a semester off etc).
Old Mar 1st 2017, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

Hey all.

I have submitted an appeal. It dawned on me that I had completed the Outstanding Teaching Programme in the UK which is accredited by the National College of Teachers and Leadership. I have contacted the various people and got that sent over. Whether it makes much difference, I doubt but for the sake of $99, an appeal is a no brainer.

I am considering enrolling into a online masters. It will easily meet the certification requirements and it will be an investment in myself.

I am also considering signing up as an English tutor online for Chinese based students to prop up my income.

I'll keep you updated with how I am getting on.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

lmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pminette
Yes it is now two years in a b.ed program which is in addition to your undergrad.
No, it is four semesters. Which technically may, or may not, be a B.Ed.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

lmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all.

I have submitted an appeal. It dawned on me that I had completed the Outstanding Teaching Programme in the UK which is accredited by the National College of Teachers and Leadership. I have contacted the various people and got that sent over. Whether it makes much difference, I doubt but for the sake of $99, an appeal is a no brainer.

I am considering enrolling into a online masters. It will easily meet the certification requirements and it will be an investment in myself.

I am also considering signing up as an English tutor online for Chinese based students to prop up my income.

I'll keep you updated with how I am getting on.
I did offer to advise if you messaged me. Good luck though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.