Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario car insurance - UK experience not being recognised

Ontario car insurance - UK experience not being recognised

Old Jan 21st 2015, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice
Default Re: Ontario car insurance - UK experience not being recognised

Unfortunately insurance prices in Ontario are brutal. Expect to pay somewhere from $1500-$3000 and likely closer to $3000 per car if you can't get any credit for your UK experience. That said, I vaguely remember they gave me something like 3 years credit for 10 years UK driving experience when I was there. I can't remember who the insurer was because it was such a long time ago but the name of the broker was McKee and McKee from Etobicoke.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:13 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

We pay $750 per car per year (first year we arrived) so not too bad- they took both our no claims into account. I've also had a no fault bump too and they were pretty good at sorting it all out for me. I don't think the insurance has gone down but we're just starting our second year here now.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tirytory
We pay $750 per car per year (first year we arrived) so not too bad- they took both our no claims into account. I've also had a no fault bump too and they were pretty good at sorting it all out for me. I don't think the insurance has gone down but we're just starting our second year here now.
You've probably got the best insurance rates of anyone I've ever met in all the time I've been in Canada. If you're not telling porkies that is.

Could you share the name of your insurance company please?
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:35 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxdb
You've probably got the best insurance rates of anyone I've ever met in all the time I've been in Canada. If you're not telling porkies that is.

Could you share the name of your insurance company please?
......and the level of coverage/liability/deductible etc.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 5:55 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

We are with TD Insurance, $1500 and $1600 for each of the two cars. I *think* that's with a deductible of $1k, and otherwise full coverage. Clean driving records for the two of us... and Husband didn't have proof of his no claims as he's just been on and off his parents' insurance for years. My Canadian coverage had been considered lapsed since I'd not been a primary for ages.

Most other places, including my parents' company (ING) where I was insured for years, all wanted roughly $3000 per car. TD was a steal - and the rate stayed the same when we renewed two months ago. (We were worried it was an 'intro' rate and would jump after a year, but ended up being the same!)
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also in Markham ON and for a 2005 Merc Estate it was $5500pa we got rid of that car (we had been sold a lemon) and bought a 2015 Toyota Corolla and the insurance went up to $7300pa. We shopped around extensively but couldn't get it cheaper. This is for a woman over 30 driving 10,000km per year, parked in a garage.

Johnsons wouldn't take my UK driving record or 5 years no claims (I only learnt to drive 5 years ago and never had an accident).

I agreed to have a black box in my car to record my driving which measures sudden declarations, quick accelerations and driving after midnight. You can potentially save 25% that way; after 6 months of having it in (although I've yet to have a quick acceleration event, I apparently have 3 per week of sudden declarations which I disagree with so I don't know how accurate it is)

Apparently Markham is one of the most expensive areas for car insurance.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
I'm also in Markham ON and for a 2005 Merc Estate it was $5500pa we got rid of that car (we had been sold a lemon) and bought a 2015 Toyota Corolla and the insurance went up to $7300pa. We shopped around extensively but couldn't get it cheaper. This is for a woman over 30 driving 10,000km per year, parked in a garage.

Johnsons wouldn't take my UK driving record or 5 years no claims (I only learnt to drive 5 years ago and never had an accident).

I agreed to have a black box in my car to record my driving which measures sudden declarations, quick accelerations and driving after midnight. You can potentially save 25% that way; after 6 months of having it in (although I've yet to have a quick acceleration event, I apparently have 3 per week of sudden declarations which I disagree with so I don't know how accurate it is)

Apparently Markham is one of the most expensive areas for car insurance.

Or loosely translated Markham has shit drivers who either live there or visit there
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

Undoubtedly! I'm often shocked at the crazy drivers here. Sometimes it's scary!
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 1:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Or loosely translated Markham has shit drivers who either live there or visit there
Well, yes, them's the demographics.
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 2:05 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
......and the level of coverage/liability/deductible etc.
Well I guess equivalent to fully comp (husband sorted it out)... I didn't pay anything for the bump although it wasn't remotely my fault, and had a free hire car. I'm not sure deductible if it's our fault though. I just know what comes out of our bank account.

It's The Personal....no porkies. It was initially $3000 but they halved it with 10yrs no claims from the UK for both of us. Oh and if we had snow tyres on both 4x4s that brought price down too.

It's a group insurance so maybe that makes a difference through my husband's job. Understandably we got our house insurance through them too!

Last edited by Tirytory; Jan 23rd 2015 at 2:20 am.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muskoka
I've only been here a few months and my car insurance is £2,900 for the year (UK experience not taken into account). I knew it was going to be in this region before I got here though. Just have to suck it up I'm afraid painful though it is.
Hi Muskoka! which insurance company do you use? thanks.