Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario car insurance - UK experience not being recognised

Ontario car insurance - UK experience not being recognised

Old Nov 5th 2014, 12:16 am
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default Ontario car insurance - UK experience not being recognised

Hi all,

I've found myself in a situation that I'm finding hard to resolve so I'm hoping someone here has been through similar and can let me know what steps they took! I changed my car license plates to Ontario from Quebec recently and I thought everything was fine and dandy. My car insurance from Quebec had transferred my file to Ontario and I received the details for that, which allowed me to get the plates. Fast forward just over a week (maybe two) and the Ontario division of the insurance company has come to me saying that they can't honour the insurance cost I've been paying because I 'don't have enough driving experience.' (Surely they should have checked that earlier??)

They're now saying that my Ontario license doesn't match the info Quebec provided. Quebec basically honoured my 10 years no-claims driving history in the UK and I've had no accidents in Quebec so I now have 13 years no-claims history. I asked about providing a DVLA driving history certificate and letters from my UK car insurance company as proof but they said that the problem lies in my Ontario license and that it shows me as being a new driver in Canada from October 2012 (which is the date I got my Quebec license, which I had to surrender to get my Ontario license) and so that's the only information the insurance company have to go on.

As a result of this, my new quote for continued coverage was $2,100 for just six months. Obviously I refused to pay that frankly extortionate amount (a full year of coverage would be just under what I paid for my car in 2013!) and so now I don't have any car insurance and can't use my car. It's a bit of a problem because it takes me over an hour to get into work by bus (just 10km!) so I'd like to resolve it as quickly as possible.

Has anybody been in this situation with the info held on the Ontario license and UK experience not being taken into account? How did you get round this? I'm hoping it would be as simple as taking my proof of UK experience (DVLA document, etc) to DriveSafe to see if they can add it to my electronic license info but maybe I'm dreaming...

Thanks for any help you can give!
Catherine
Old Nov 5th 2014, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario car insurance - UK experience not being recognised

I think you will find that most Brits in Ontario have had this problem. We just had to take a deep breath and pay it. My understanding from previous threads on here is that I don't think there is anything you can do about the licence but some people have managed to find insurance companies that will honour UK experience. I am sure someone will come along with more detailed info shortly.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Many insurance companies will only give you credit for driving experience in Canada and the US. Have you called around for multiple quotes to see if you can obtain credit for your UK driving experience? Also see if your bank (or another bank) or your employer can help. Some employers offer benefits such as car insurance discounts.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 5th 2014 at 1:58 am.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:02 am
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Have you called around for multiple quotes to see if you can obtain credit for your UK driving experience?
Yep but the brokers and insurance companies I've directly spoken to have all said the same thing. I guess I'm trying to find an elusive insurance company who'll take my UK history then. I don't want to pay almost $5,000 for insurance and, honestly, I don't even understand why it's so high considering my car is just a 2006 Mazda3 that I bought used in 2013 for just over $6,000. I'm really regretting switching away from Quebec licensing now for what is just a six month work contract in Ontario!

I'll ask my bank tomorrow about what they can offer and see if my employer has anything too.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Also try:

InsuranceHotline.com
MyInsuranceShopper.ca
Kanetix.ca
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Catpea, what part of Ontario are you moving to? Anywhere in the GTA, car insurance is amazingly expensive, UK no-claims discount or not.

For example, I live in Mississauga, 3 years clean Canadian driving record, 10 years clean UK driving record. I have an insurance company which takes my UK driving record into account. My premium is $2400/yr. Without the UK driving record, it was $3800/yr.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:37 am
is awesome

I'm in Kingston. We have the same driving experience too with 3 clean years in Canada and 10 clean years in the UK so I'd love to know who your insurance company is!
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Johnson Insurance. I'll send you the rep's contact details by private message.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 10:59 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

This is the status quo in Alberta too.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately that is the way of it in Ontario and you just have to "suck it up", as they say.

That said, we found a reputable broker who shopped the market for us and the price was still expensive but not overly extortionate.

Two years later, I now have that much vaunted "Canadian experience" and we are paying about $2K a year for two vehicles.

As for the general cost of car insurance, I think the winter conditions here are obviously a factor and, with all due respect, I have found Canadian drivers to be generally more complacent than those back in the UK. But that's for another thread.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
As for the general cost of car insurance, I think the winter conditions here are obviously a factor and, with all due respect, I have found Canadian drivers to be generally more complacent than those back in the UK. But that's for another thread.
I don't think the winter conditions are a significant influence. The cost of insurance in the mountain States isn't comparable to here, that's why I had CO plates for years. The difference is just that people here drive badly and are very litigious. They're also cursed with daytime running lights, my personally bugbear, I concede though that I don't have figures for how many accidents are caused by them.

We pay about $300/month per vehicle but that's due to a lucky set of circumstances, I'm expecting a big increase at renewal.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
We pay about $300/month per vehicle but that's due to a lucky set of circumstances, I'm expecting a big increase at renewal.
This is "lucky"? What vehicles are you driving?

Or is this premium partly due to your location?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
This is "lucky"? What vehicles are you driving?

Or is this premium partly due to your location?
Lucky because I walked to work for a couple of years so, for that period, I had no tickets and no accidents.

The vehicle makes very little difference to the premium in Ontario (excepting outliers such as modified vehicles), it's all about the driver and location. These vehicles are ordinary production line Fords.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:56 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Check a bunch of different insurance places... but insurance in Ontario is a problem, yeah. We are with TD Insurance. Two cars, paying $3100/year for both. ($1500 for the 2010 VW Golf Estate, and $1600 for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT.)

They were easily half the price of anyone else we spoke to.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Check a bunch of different insurance places... but insurance in Ontario is a problem, yeah. We are with TD Insurance. Two cars, paying $3100/year for both. ($1500 for the 2010 VW Golf Estate, and $1600 for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT.)

They were easily half the price of anyone else we spoke to.
We pay about $1100 for a 2007 Mazda 5, $1250 for a 2013 Ford Fusion and $3200 for a 2014 Hyundai Accent (with a 19 year old male as the primary driver). When we arrived ten years ago, we struggled to find anything less than $6000 for two of us with two cars, finally managed to get a 'deal' at $4500.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.