Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OK, I have to be totally honest here

OK, I have to be totally honest here

Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:03 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK, I have to be totally honest here

I haven't posted. Dammit ... I have now.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:12 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
^^
This

The hypocrisy by many posting on this thread is brilliant!
But why register after watching for a year, come on here to whinge and contribute nothing elsewhere. The OP was not looking for help or any guidance it seems and has only posted in this thread. All seems a bit pointless to me.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 3:33 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
But why register after watching for a year, come on here to whinge and contribute nothing elsewhere. The OP was not looking for help or any guidance it seems and has only posted in this thread. All seems a bit pointless to me.
Because after a extended check she realised that hypocrisy, personal opinion and a quick but irrelevant bitching sessions were in fact the norm here

a quick glance and you may make the mistake that you might find some useful opinions on here

name the last time you found a factual relevant post with quality content and a well balanced section of comment and reviews to follow

Posting here is often totally pointless, but fills in bandwidth to help the moderators feel needed

Last edited by MikeUK; Aug 4th 2015 at 3:39 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

name the last time you found a factual relevant post with quality content and a well balanced section of comment and reviews to follow
This thread springs to mind http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-751783/
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:12 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh I so love that thread
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:20 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I haven't posted. Dammit ... I have now.
You haven't? Oh you have.

They're being a bit mean aren't they.

PS I wouldn't move to Cape Breton as I can't stand diddly diddly music.

Last edited by bats; Aug 4th 2015 at 5:27 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived in the east of Scotland for 10 years I would like to agree with all of the opinions expressed, depending on which of the many people I met we are talking about.

Secondly I don't like liver. Never have, and although I haven't tried it for nigh on 30 years I'm pretty sure I never will. No matter who cooks it, or which recipe they use. I am confident that this will not affect the enjoyment of those of you who are partial to the stuff.

What is wrong with Cape Breton? I haven't been, but it's on my 'list'. Isn't it scenic?
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear that Canada wasn't everything you hoped it would be.
I totally love it here and wouldn't dream of moving back, but then I didn't move to a backwoods.

I hope that everything works out for you on your move back to the UK and hope that you have learned from your experience.

Here are a few hints for you in case you consider doing it again.

Check out the place that you're planning on moving to.
Speak to some people that live or have lived there.
Google the place you're moving to - it should help you appreciate what kind of a place its going to be.
Check out historical weather for the area.
Have a holiday there - it's a good way to see what a place is like, before you move there.
In short - do some research.

To be honest, I'm totally gobsmacked that you moved to Cape Breton without having any concept of what it would be like to live there and I'm not surprised that it ended in tears. I can't for the life of me understand people that would do such a thing - but I suppose if we were all sensible, intelligent people that don't make rash decisions and do some "due diligence", the world would be a much more boring place.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 6:09 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5

What is wrong with Cape Breton? I haven't been, but it's on my 'list'. Isn't it scenic?
Yes, indeed it's scenic but that's about all. Accommodations, especially around the Cabot Trail, are not that plentiful and are expensive.
In 1969 I asked someone what it was about Cape Bretoners and was told that "they should give everyone of them a million dollars each and tell them to do one". Sounds crazy but, in the long run, it would have been cheaper than the billions of dollars that were poured into the place over many years for make work projects like the Heavy Water Plant in Glace Bay, (it never produced one drop of product !) Devco, Sydney Steel, propping up a failing coal industry and all the other industries that were lured there with tax payers' cash. They simply sucked up all the benefits and then left. A scenario which has been repeated over and over again. Sydney was referred to as Industrial Cape Breton. Now there is little or nothing there and unemployment is the norm.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the criticisms here are unfair. Read the original comments- they were hardly Canada bashing.

Cape Breton is a shit hole. Stunning scenery, but nothing else.
A significant portion of Canada would fall within the same description.
I've been to Sydney- it was depressing. I've been to every province, and would instantly discount ever moving to SK/MB/NS/NB/PE/NL/QC.

Suggesting the OP try somewhere else isnt really helpful. It's f***ing expensive to move to a different province- financially and emotionally. Making friends again, finding a job, schools for the kids, the physical aspect of packing/unpacking, finding rentals, etc, etc. Why bother risking it again? Chances are, it's cheaper to move home and you put it all down as an expensive life experience, and be back close to friends/family.

Fair play to the OP for giving it a try- most people live and die in the same town they were born in, so at least they had the chutzpah to try it.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

Liver!? Hmmmmm, what does that organ do for the body functions??? And then people eat it

On a moving note... I moved from Ontario to BC and it cost $5600 but they did break a few things as an added bonus for!
Old Aug 4th 2015, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

Did the Parrot make it? Is he now Prime minister of Canada?

Answers on a postcard
Old Aug 4th 2015, 7:34 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddmac
Really sorry to hear that Canada wasn't everything you hoped it would be.
I totally love it here and wouldn't dream of moving back, but then I didn't move to a backwoods.

I hope that everything works out for you on your move back to the UK and hope that you have learned from your experience.

Here are a few hints for you in case you consider doing it again.

Check out the place that you're planning on moving to.
Speak to some people that live or have lived there.
Google the place you're moving to - it should help you appreciate what kind of a place its going to be.
Check out historical weather for the area.
Have a holiday there - it's a good way to see what a place is like, before you move there.
In short - do some research.

To be honest, I'm totally gobsmacked that you moved to Cape Breton without having any concept of what it would be like to live there and I'm not surprised that it ended in tears. I can't for the life of me understand people that would do such a thing - but I suppose if we were all sensible, intelligent people that don't make rash decisions and do some "due diligence", the world would be a much more boring place.
Feel better after that?
Old Aug 4th 2015, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Feel better after that?
Do you?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 12:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqua
Liver!? Hmmmmm, what does that organ do for the body functions??? And then people eat it

On a moving note... I moved from Ontario to BC and it cost $5600 but they did break a few things as an added bonus for!
That is a lot of money for some and cost prohibitive and is a good example as why people end up stuck in high priced places they can't afford, moving is even more pricey and not something they can do.

Add in damage deposits, and other misc costs, and moving across Canada can cost someone 50% or more of their annual income.

Even using a uhaul becomes a fortune, looking at mid September the rate to rent the smallest truck 10' is 1,700 + taxes + insurance +gas + hotel stays.

2,000 for truck + insurance, probably end up close to 3,500 -4,000 to do it yourself even.

Moving is not something easily done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.