Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OK, I have to be totally honest here

OK, I have to be totally honest here

Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK, I have to be totally honest here

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Top comparison!

Even the on-line version resembles Sunday Sport (or whatever it is) with some of the photos on the right of the page.
I know, I do secretly love the Sidebar of Shame though.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Dava
Hello Fellow British Ex-Pats in Canada. I am a new poster to the Canada Forum, although I have been following it for over a year. The reason why I am posting is that I came to Canada last October 2014 because my partner was offered a job in the University sector. We live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. After a very hard winter, during which my partner fractured his wrist, we have decided to return to the UK. My own concerns with Canada is that it seems to be a country firmly rested where the UK was in the 1970's. I've read a lot of posts concerned about space, quality of life etc. I am not convinced about this - there are lots of places in the UK which feel off the beaten track, but which still are connected - which is more than I feel in Canada. I have met lots of very nice people, and hope I can return their hospitality in the UK, but to be blunt, I hate it here.

Do not base your opinion of Canada on your experiences in one small part of the country.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

So, what do you expect?

How about we expect someone to base their opinion of the country on experiences in more than one small part of it? I have lived in Canada most of my life so am obviously very familiar with life here and I would wager that I wouldn't be happy living in Cape Breton either. But if that were the case I would let my experiences in Cape Breton form the basis for my opinion about Cape Breton, not the rest of the country. Since it is the second largest country in the world there are vast differences in experiences depending on where one lives.

Saying that you do not like Canada because of your experience in Cape Breton is like saying you do not like Europe because of your experience in Guernsey.

It's probably the Scottish/Irish Heritage approximation of Norfolk! Coming from the East of Scotland, it is totally alien to me, which was surprising. We don't seem to have a choice here - my partner has handed in his notice and his NSP nomination revoked, although we are well underway with PR checks etc. TBH, If I had wanted to live in scrubby woodland, I would have chosen the West of Scotland, not here!
Nice attitude.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Surely you actually put some thought into it before the move?

Apparently not.

They didn't spring it upon you that drugs were not covered unless you have extended benefits.
Working for a university they will have extended coverage.

Last edited by colchar; Aug 3rd 2015 at 4:27 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Anybody that considers the Daily Mail a reputable newspaper needs a reality check

Are you trying to say that it isn't the epitome of journalistic integrity???
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 6:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Are you trying to say that it isn't the epitome of journalistic integrity???
Maybe not quite. But if I want to read about how those awful immigrants are ruining the UK, or what the Kardashians are up to today, then I know where to go to.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

What use is this thread? The original poster has a negative view of Canada based on very limited experience and is already packing her bags to go back to the UK. Clearly, she will be contributing nothing useful to help anyone else come and settle here. Does anybody really care what she thinks?
P.S. I am also from the east coast of Scotland where people certainly are not brusquely cheerful unless you count "schadenfreud" as a kind of joy.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:26 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I am wondering if the OP is just feeling the need to vent.

Honestly to have a TWP to a university in Cape Breton Is to me rare. It's almost like finding a pig that flies.
There are not many jobs up there for the locals so I am surprised at this.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
Does anybody really care what she thinks?
Judging by the comments, I suspect not. Seems to be a whining thread and no contribution to any other content. One opinion, limited by 10 months in country and one isolated community. After 10 months we had not even begun to settle in, 2 years in, many still get homesick, but stick it out and go on to become successful.

Immigration is not for everyone. Sometimes I believe the 'old days of immigration' of once you move you're gone was easier than today of being anywhere in the world in 24 hours or so. Like marriage, to easy to give up nowadays, easier than working at it.

If anyone expects to make a decision to immigrate or not based on a public forum, they should probably stay where they are. A great place to get some answers, the tried and tested method of boots on the ground and do your own due diligence. Too much reliance on the Internet and e-mail these days'.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

My own concerns with Canada is that it seems to be a country firmly rested where the UK was in the 1970's. .
...and that is what makes it so great.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:57 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am wondering if the OP is just feeling the need to vent.

Honestly to have a TWP to a university in Cape Breton Is to me rare. It's almost like finding a pig that flies.
There are not many jobs up there for the locals so I am surprised at this.
UCCB as it was known used to be affectionately referred to as The University of Crayons and Coloring Books. All you had to do to get in was pass "The Pittsburgh Test" which is to breath on a cold glass. If it fogged up a little you were in !
My wife is from Sydney so I do know what a depressing dump the place is. She couldn't wait to get away from there too. I have studiously avoided going there for many years now.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 9:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Fair enough. But let's imagine a wannabe immigrant to the UK from, shall we say Nova Scotia. S/he applies for a so-called University position in perhaps Hull. Get's the "job". Feels good about New Life.

Now let's imagine that the person from NS has to stay in that "job" or ****ity ****ity off back to NS. Because we all know that Nova Scotians working at Hull "University" are depriving true born British folk of a "job".

Would it be entirely fair of other posters on here to suggest that s/he should try living in Somerset or the Shetlands before deciding s/he'd been conned?

I don't think so.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 9:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Would it be entirely fair of other posters on here to suggest that s/he should try living in Somerset or the Shetlands before deciding s/he'd been conned?
The Shetlands has a university?
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

Apparently it's " The University of Sheep and long Wellies"

Surely if some one has the honesty to admit not liking Canada then others should be polite enough to accept that and wish them well!!

Canada can be a hard place to adjust to, people are different and sometimes cultural differences can be hard to adjust to.

All I can say, at least you gave it a go..... Sadly it wasn't for you so I wish you the best of luck on your next moved

Last edited by Aqua; Aug 3rd 2015 at 10:22 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 12:53 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Do not base your opinion of Canada on your experiences in one small part of the country.
I don't see why this isn't fair. Canada's physically wide but homogenous, life in Cape Breton is going to be very similar to life in another part of Canada with a similar population density. It's different, granted, from life in a city but the OP has noted that.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 4:08 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
She generalized and some are objecting

people do this here all the time, they often say the Uk is sh!t but then just refer to the particular town they came from ?
^^
This

The hypocrisy by many posting on this thread is brilliant!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.