Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OH in Halifax - Advice Needed!!!

OH in Halifax - Advice Needed!!!

Old Apr 12th 2009, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

tinyteds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OH in Halifax - Advice Needed!!!

Hi everyone
I am in a bit of a panic as my husband and son flew into Halifax on Friday just to check things out and to find out about job opportunities etc, BUT, he's really not liking what he's seeing so far!
I've said to him that it is probably just the time of year that is making things look so bleak and that he's maybe just looking in the wrong areas, and that its Easter weekend so things will be closed etc etc. He hasnt been into Halifax itself yet, just checking out surrounding sub-divisions, but says hes having trouble finding things like cinemas, bowling (just general things for the kids to do if we were to move out there)
I am just wondering if any of you helpful souls can give some advice on where he may be going wrong out there! He doesnt know anyone there and i'm now deeply regretting sending him without me! I'm really really sorry for rambling on but he asked me to post this in the hope that someone can give him some advice to help him be positive as he feels like he is letting the family down!
Thanks, Amanda
Old Apr 12th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default Re: OH in Halifax - Advice Needed!!!

Hi,

Everything is closed over Easter, so no surprises about not finding much to do.

They these places for shops/cinemas etc
http://www.dartmouthcrossing.com/
http://micmacmall.shopping.ca/
http://www.halifaxshoppingcentre.com/
http://www.empiretheatres.com/
http://www.hydrostonemarket.ca
http://www.bayerslakepark.com/

Head to Spring Garden Road in Halifax for smaller shops

Anything else you need just ask
Old Apr 12th 2009, 7:58 pm
Since 010205

l i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nice

Which area are they staying in whilst they are here?
Old Apr 12th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

all I can say is MEN

sexist yes but of yours is anything like mine then heaven help you

get him out into the country side it really is paradise

wet his appetite by looking at some bargain property

get him in a local legion amomgst the locals for a few beers and soak up the atmosphere

tell him to vist a volunteer firehall for some proper boy camaraderie

as for bowling alleys and cinemas there is far far to much free active stuff to get involved in

the great outdoors, swmming in lakes skating skiing, fishing hunting , camping community stuff etc eg the real canada

be careful he doesnt enjoy himself to much and not go back to the UK ever though

we came a year ago next week with a couple of bags to have a scout around and get a feel and we never left

oh and by the way we had never set foot in NS before and did not know a sole

Last edited by chumley; Apr 12th 2009 at 8:30 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

He probably had a 'man' look
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Well if I was him I would be at the legion!
Doing man things!
You learn alot over a beers or two with the locals!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
Well if I was him I would be at the legion!
Doing man things!
You learn alot over a beers or two with the locals!
exactly you cant beat it
Old Apr 13th 2009, 1:28 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
Hi,

Everything is closed over Easter, so no surprises about not finding much to do.

They these places for shops/cinemas etc
http://www.dartmouthcrossing.com/
http://micmacmall.shopping.ca/
http://www.halifaxshoppingcentre.com/
http://www.empiretheatres.com/
http://www.hydrostonemarket.ca
http://www.bayerslakepark.com/

Head to Spring Garden Road in Halifax for smaller shops

Anything else you need just ask
hey sockdogg.
good post. those links are a keeper!
hows the world of research treating you?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 2:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinyteds
Hi everyone
I am in a bit of a panic as my husband and son flew into Halifax on Friday just to check things out and to find out about job opportunities etc, BUT, he's really not liking what he's seeing so far!
I've said to him that it is probably just the time of year that is making things look so bleak and that he's maybe just looking in the wrong areas, and that its Easter weekend so things will be closed etc etc. He hasnt been into Halifax itself yet, just checking out surrounding sub-divisions, but says hes having trouble finding things like cinemas, bowling (just general things for the kids to do if we were to move out there)
I am just wondering if any of you helpful souls can give some advice on where he may be going wrong out there! He doesnt know anyone there and i'm now deeply regretting sending him without me! I'm really really sorry for rambling on but he asked me to post this in the hope that someone can give him some advice to help him be positive as he feels like he is letting the family down!
Thanks, Amanda
Where do you live now?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

tinyteds is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your advice and very useful links. I know he'd usually love the idea of going to the legion but he has a 13year old with him so that is probably out! We would be taking full advantage of the great outdoors but we were just thinking about the other activities that keep the kids occupied during times when the weather is not so great!
Sending him out there without me has been a massive mistake as i am quite a resourceful person i.e if i cant find what i'm looking for i will ask, but he seems to be just driving about aimlesslay hoping he'll find things, aarrgghh! When we went on a recce to BC last year things werent all laid out for you there either, you had to ask what was on and where, i even asked the kids working in the Dairy Queen what there was for teenagers to do! The thing is he loved where we went to in BC and i think he is now compairing the two!
Here's hoping the rest of the week will be more possitive!!

We live in Perthshire at the moment and he is staying in an apartment up in Oakfield (to answer a few questions as i dont know how to answer with the quotes yet!!)
Amanda
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future

The world of research is good, not found any disease causing genes in a little while though

Originally Posted by wbexpat
hey sockdogg.
good post. those links are a keeper!
hows the world of research treating you?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sockdogg
The world of research is good, not found any disease causing genes in a little while though
You must get sick of that line of work!
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

barrett will become famous soon enoughbarrett will become famous soon enough

Oakfield is quite removed from the city & entertainment and on a rural route, so while it is a nice area it's a crappy commute. I can see why his perspective is skewed. Can he change locations for base camp?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I have sent you a PM, tell the OH to get in touch if he needs advice.