Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Office Manager/Executive PA looking for a job!

Office Manager/Executive PA looking for a job!

Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Sparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow Clan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Office Manager/Executive PA looking for a job!

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all having a great week! (I am looking forward to the long weekend!)

I have an IEC visa which I plan to activate later this year/early 2015. I will be staying in Hamilton, Ontario. My plan is to live there forever! So finding a stable and long term job is what I am looking for.

I have been an Office Manager/PA for almost 10 years. I currently work for a huge construction company 'Vinci Construction' (but not huge enough that I could transfer to Canada still working for them! - Although I am aware there is s 'Vinci Park' - Valet service out there!).

I was wondering if you could recommend agencies/companies that I can approach. Perhaps before I fly out and/or once I arrive?

I have registered with Randstad.ca. But I would like to increase my chances by registering with as many sites/agencies as I can!

Although I will be living in Hamilton I wouldn't mind the commute to Toronto or the surrounding area. Toronto seems like the place I would find the admin work I am looking for?!

What do you think? Has anyone had any luck with getting similar work?

Any help & advice is appreciated

Thank you!

Sparrow
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Office Manager/Executive PA looking for a job!

Originally Posted by Sparrow Clan
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all having a great week! (I am looking forward to the long weekend!)

I have an IEC visa which I plan to activate later this year/early 2015. I will be staying in Hamilton, Ontario. My plan is to live there forever! So finding a stable and long term job is what I am looking for.

I have been an Office Manager/PA for almost 10 years. I currently work for a huge construction company 'Vinci Construction' (but not huge enough that I could transfer to Canada still working for them! - Although I am aware there is s 'Vinci Park' - Valet service out there!).

I was wondering if you could recommend agencies/companies that I can approach. Perhaps before I fly out and/or once I arrive?

I have registered with Randstad.ca. But I would like to increase my chances by registering with as many sites/agencies as I can!

Although I will be living in Hamilton I wouldn't mind the commute to Toronto or the surrounding area. Toronto seems like the place I would find the admin work I am looking for?!

Thank you!

Sparrow
Just did a google search and there are tons of agencies in Toronto, think you will be spoilt for choice.
When you contact them I would try to be specific about when you are moving over otherwise they won't take you seriously as you are not an asset they can bank on.

Good luck with the move
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

*paging Siouxie, would Siouxie come to the forum please*.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
*paging Siouxie, would Siouxie come to the forum please*.
Is Siouxie a recruitment consultant?
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Is Siouxie a recruitment consultant?
Why the unsure face?

No, she's not a recruitment consultant but has been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. Siouxie had been looking for similar work in the same area over the past year or two, so I'm sure she'll have some good advice (and possibly contacts) for the OP.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why the unsure face?

No, she's not a recruitment consultant but has been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. Siouxie had been looking for similar work in the same area over the past year or two, so I'm sure she'll have some good advice (and possibly contacts) for the OP.
Oh I see. Only unsure because didn't know whether she was or not... There are lots of ads in the papers and many recruitment agencies so it shouldn't be difficult to find something even if to start with it's not perfect.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh I see. Only unsure because didn't know whether she was or not... There are lots of ads in the papers and many recruitment agencies so it shouldn't be difficult to find something even if to start with it's not perfect.
That's why I'm hoping Siouxie posts, I know that she's applied for a heck of a lot of jobs over the past goodness only knows how many months (possibly even years), and only just recently managed to find something! So I'm not sure it will be that easy for the OP actually, but hopefully Siouxie will give some advice based on her experiences.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 3:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Sparrow
Hello Sparrow

I, too, worked in the UK as an office manager and had held executive positions for more than 20 years prior to coming to Canada. I also live in the Hamilton area.

I think you will struggle to gain employment in this field around this area, unless you are prepared to work in Toronto and even then you may find it very difficult. Canadians love diploma's and certification (recent) and without them you will be lucky to even get an interview. The competition for these positions is fierce, every college is churning out newly qualified and certified administrative assistants/officers and whatever experience we had in the UK really counts for nothing. It's like starting from scratch, all over again.

All I can suggest is that you ensure your resume is 'Canadianised' and perhaps register with some temp agencies. Be prepared to go in and do tests for up to 6 hours!

List of employment agencies (placement or staffing agencies) List of Best Employment Agencies in Hamilton ON

PeopleStore - Staffing Solutions Inc
http://ca.livejobs.recruitadvantage....TOKEN=27172473
Search Jobs in Canada, find the perfect job - Hunt Synergie
Find a Job in Canada, Job Board Canada

Provided the OP goes to Toronto, possibly. However, a Canadian woman I know who has all the certification you can imagine and over 20 years experience in similar positions struggled to find a job even there. It took around 9 months before she was employed, despite applying for every job going that she was qualified to do.

That's why I'm hoping Siouxie posts, I know that she's applied for a heck of a lot of jobs over the past goodness only knows how many months (possibly even years), and only just recently managed to find something! So I'm not sure it will be that easy for the OP actually, but hopefully Siouxie will give some advice based on her experiences.
You are right christmasoompa, I applied for literally hundreds of jobs in the Hamilton area and secured 2 interviews in total. Prior to coming to Canada I had always been interviewed for any job I applied for and been offered the job, so this was a huge shock.

2 years on I still am not employed in office management / executive PA nor indeed ANY kind of office job and have given up. I now work as a remote freelancer for a UK company.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to Siouxsie's post.

We've talked about this before on other threads; I have a similar background, & substantial "Canadian experience".

I've been "decent" job-hunting for nigh on 2 years. I'm surviving on part-time on-call receptionist & freelance remote work (based on being lucky enough to have a second language). If I were able to move to a major city, I'd probably find something full-time.

S
Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello Sparrow

I, too, worked in the UK as an office manager and had held executive positions for more than 20 years prior to coming to Canada. I also live in the Hamilton area.

I think you will struggle to gain employment in this field around this area, unless you are prepared to work in Toronto and even then you may find it very difficult. Canadians love diploma's and certification (recent) and without them you will be lucky to even get an interview. The competition for these positions is fierce, every college is churning out newly qualified and certified administrative assistants/officers and whatever experience we had in the UK really counts for nothing. It's like starting from scratch, all over again.

All I can suggest is that you ensure your resume is 'Canadianised' and perhaps register with some temp agencies. Be prepared to go in and do tests for up to 6 hours!

List of employment agencies (placement or staffing agencies) List of Best Employment Agencies in Hamilton ON

PeopleStore - Staffing Solutions Inc
http://ca.livejobs.recruitadvantage....TOKEN=27172473
Search Jobs in Canada, find the perfect job - Hunt Synergie
Find a Job in Canada, Job Board Canada

Provided the OP goes to Toronto, possibly. However, a Canadian woman I know who has all the certification you can imagine and over 20 years experience in similar positions struggled to find a job even there. It took around 9 months before she was employed, despite applying for every job going that she was qualified to do.

You are right christmasoompa, I applied for literally hundreds of jobs in the Hamilton area and secured 2 interviews in total. Prior to coming to Canada I had always been interviewed for any job I applied for and been offered the job, so this was a huge shock.

2 years on I still am not employed in office management / executive PA nor indeed ANY kind of office job and have given up. I now work as a remote freelancer for a UK company.
Oh wow, that's stressful... I am on EI right now as I followed my husband out of Province and have been applying for all sorts of jobs... I even have my resume on indeed.ca and the only people who approach me are insurance related... they're all based so far away that for the moment it is not practical...
Fingers crossed I find a job before the money runs out
Old Aug 21st 2014, 10:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow, that's stressful... I am on EI right now as I followed my husband out of Province and have been applying for all sorts of jobs... I even have my resume on indeed.ca and the only people who approach me are insurance related... they're all based so far away that for the moment it is not practical...
Fingers crossed I find a job before the money runs out
I had my resume on workopolis, indeed, monster, jobbank, several temp/employment agencies, hospital groups, colleges and universities, City HR, Government employment services and just about every reasonably large corporation within the area.

Didn't do me one bit of good.

I wish you luck and I hope you manage to find something suitable soon!

If you even thought of becoming self employed, look into OSEB, you can participate if you have been on EI or maternity benefits at any point in the past 3 years and you are paid for 9.5 months while you build your business. http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/employe...mployment.html for Barrie - http://businessenterprise.ca/sea/

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 21st 2014 at 10:15 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I had my resume on workopolis, indeed, monster, jobbank, several temp/employment agencies, hospital groups, colleges and universities, City HR, Government employment services and just about every reasonably large corporation within the area.

Didn't do me one bit of good.

I wish you luck and I hope you manage to find something suitable soon!

If you even thought of becoming self employed, look into OSEB, you can participate if you have been on EI or maternity benefits at any point in the past 3 years and you are paid for 9.5 months while you build your business. Ontario Self-Employment Benefit for Barrie - Self Employment Assistance Barrie, South Simcoe

Wow, thank you for that, most definitely worth considering. Where I am living it's all manufacturing jobs and I can't see myself on an assembly line...
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 1:39 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mean to be negative but it would a good idea to have a back up plan just in case you can't stay in Canada. I'm looking at staying as well but have put things in place just in case I have to return
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Small world - I worked for Vinci for about 9 years, but back in the Norwest Holst days.

My wife worked for them as an Office Manager until early 2013 as well.

She's wondering if she knows you! She says PM me and tell me who you are...

Apart from running a few car parks, Vinci do own a few construction companies over here actually:

VINCI Locations: Canada
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to Siouxie

Canadians looooveeee their titles and letters. It's bloody ridiculous but hey this is the reality

Good luck with the searches, guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.