Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Occupational Therapist considering Canada?

Occupational Therapist considering Canada?

Old Aug 31st 2014, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Janie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Occupational Therapist considering Canada?

Hi there,

I am a mature student (43) in my second year of University studying Occipational therapy. I am married with 10 year old twins. We are starting to think about Canada as an option and understant that OT is on the 'wanted' list! My husband is a HGV class one driver and would want to work but not to stay away....are there any short haul jobs available?

Have been researching different areas od the country that would be good for family, pets, have good transport links and job opportunities. Really looking for quality of life.

We are likely to have approx $200,000 to come with. Will that be enough? Where could we buy a decent sized property for that in a safe area?

Any help would be so appreciated
Old Aug 31st 2014, 9:19 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Occupational Therapist considering Canada?

First thing would be to check what you need to do to be recognised as an amazing occupational therapist. It'll depend on the province.

The general trend is that an employed immigrant is a happy immigrant.
Do lots of research about that first.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 10:16 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Janie1
Hi there,

I am a mature student (43) in my second year of University studying Occipational therapy. I am married with 10 year old twins. We are starting to think about Canada as an option and understant that OT is on the 'wanted' list! My husband is a HGV class one driver and would want to work but not to stay away....are there any short haul jobs available?

Have been researching different areas od the country that would be good for family, pets, have good transport links and job opportunities. Really looking for quality of life.

We are likely to have approx $200,000 to come with. Will that be enough? Where could we buy a decent sized property for that in a safe area?

Any help would be so appreciated
1. As I assume you haven't completed your degree in OT and don't have at least 1 years experience as an OT you won't qualify as a Skilled worker at this time. So emigration is probably a moot point at this time.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

I wouldn't say it is a moot point as now would be the time to do the research. I have no doubt i will complete my degree. According to me research you can apply for jobs with certain employers at entry level without a years experience. You only need the years experience if you are applying for entry without having pre-arranged a job. Do i have that wrong?

Regards,

Jane

Last edited by Janie1; Aug 31st 2014 at 10:29 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, your husband can only do short haul if he has an open work permit off your back.
If you come here, under him as a trucker, then he will have to do long haul for you to gain PR.
If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks =0)
Old Aug 31st 2014, 10:58 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Janie1
I wouldn't say it is a moot point as now would be the time to do the research. I have no doubt i will complete my degree. According to me research you can apply for jobs with certain employers at entry level without a years experience. You only need the years experience if you are applying for entry without having pre-arranged a job. Do i have that wrong?

Regards,

Jane
1. If you are applying for Permanent Residence, then you need 1 year experience.

We will only process your FSW application if you have:

at least one year of continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time) work experience
in a single occupation,
within the last 10 years,
at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 edition of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC)

AND
You have this work experience in one of the eligible occupations,

OR
You have a valid offer of arranged employment,

OR
You are an international student who is enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or who graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet these criteria.

You should note that Immigration will change to Express Entry in Jan/15 and there probably will no longer be a list of occupations. Express Entry
Old Aug 31st 2014, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that is really helpful.