Reload this Page >

Oakville/Toronto/GTA

Oakville/Toronto/GTA

Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

crosswire is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Oakville/Toronto/GTA

Hi all.

We (my family) are in the process of immigrating to Canada, and after reading many posts we have found a hopefully nice area called Oakville, so I am going over there on Friday for a week to "check it out" to see if this is a better option for us as a family than Vancouver.

We visited Vancouver in 2003 so we know what its like there, and yes its excellent!

If anyone fancies catching up for a coffee and a chat let me know and we can share some thoughts. Would also be really interested to hear from Electricians as this is my main occupation.

Best Wishes!!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oakville/Toronto/GTA

Originally Posted by crosswire
Hi all.

We (my family) are in the process of immigrating to Canada, and after reading many posts we have found a hopefully nice area called Oakville, so I am going over there on Friday for a week to "check it out" to see if this is a better option for us as a family than Vancouver.

We visited Vancouver in 2003 so we know what its like there, and yes its excellent!

If anyone fancies catching up for a coffee and a chat let me know and we can share some thoughts. Would also be really interested to hear from Electricians as this is my main occupation.

Best Wishes!!
Ye Gods! Another one!

Previous discussions will tell you all you need to know about Oakville.

On the work side, I think you are probably looking at re-qualifying (ie apprenticeship). That appears to be the official position. However, when in Oakville, I suggest that you hit the Three Judges pub on Lakeshore. Plenty of expat Brits in Oakville work in the trades and a lot of them frequent that place. They're a nice bunch and can give you the low-down and maybe even some contacts. I think all you need to do is sit at the bar and tell the server what you're looking for. He/she will know if there's anyone in and will likely make an introduction.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Hi all.

Best Wishes!!
Might want to consider burlington as well as its just next to Oakville, not far from toronto but has a lot cheaper houses.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daisymoll
Might want to consider burlington as well as its just next to Oakville, not far from toronto but has a lot cheaper houses.
Many Thanks for the replies, I shall definitely visit Burlington too.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in southampton, but now live in Milton Ontario.
peterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura about

Hi all.

Best Wishes!!
Hi there
we are seriously thinking of moving to Canada, my cousin lives in Oakville and says its nice. I am also an electrician, have you had much luck on the job front ? i`ve sent my c.v to plenty of job site but no replys, was told that Toyata are opening a big plant in 2 years time in woodstock not far from oakville, hope your trip goes well, we are going over next month to do the same thing, let me know how it goes

best wishes

Peter Roulston.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:12 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peterroulston
Hi there
we are seriously thinking of moving to Canada, my cousin lives in Oakville and says its nice. I am also an electrician, have you had much luck on the job front ? i`ve sent my c.v to plenty of job site but no replys, was told that Toyata are opening a big plant in 2 years time in woodstock not far from oakville, hope your trip goes well, we are going over next month to do the same thing, let me know how it goes

best wishes

Peter Roulston.
Not far? It's a good sixty miles from Oakville to Woodstock.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in southampton, but now live in Milton Ontario.
peterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Oakville/Toronto/GTA

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Not far? It's a good sixty miles from Oakville to Woodstock.
what I meant was it`s not far if your still undecided where you want to live.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by peterroulston
what I meant was it`s not far if your still undecided where you want to live.
Well people, im here!!

What a beautiful place. Found all the good spots but where are the bad spots? There must be soe, any info appreciated!! Will go and check them out...Anyone want that coffee?? PM me if you do!..

Best Wishes
John
Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:08 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

I've been out to Toronto 4 times in the last 18mths.

Did not know of Oakville but one drive through it was enough. Its a great place in my opinion. my wife and I fell in love with it immediately.

Has fast access to downtown Toronto.
Great neighbourhoods and schooling.
Though GTA is generally safe this area felt really safe.
Great lakeshore and High Street.
Large expat community and has pubs!

Could go on and on......though again this is just my opinion....its something that felt right for us. In fact liked it so much we have jumped the gun and already bought a place even though have not heard anything re our application from CHC!

The only downside is its a little expensive compared to other areas!

Good luck.....I'm sure you will but do your own research and see what you feel comfortable with as I think everyone looks for different things and has different priorities on where they would like to settle.

Rgds
Mans
Old Aug 1st 2005, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Mans]I've been out to Toronto 4 times in the last 18mths.

Did not know of Oakville but one drive through it was enough. Its a great place in my opinion. my wife and I fell in love with it immediately.

Could go on and on......though again this is just my opinion....its something that felt right for us. In fact liked it so much we have jumped the gun and already bought a place even though have not heard anything re our application from CHC!

Hi, yes many thanks for the input. I wholehartely agree with you, this i a wonderful place. Did you go to Coronation Park when you visited? If you didnt, check it out when you get here. Wonderful relaxing place, just the right spot for a bar b q, and many do!.. Check out some pics ive got online if you want
www.ohcanada.co.uk
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=crosswire]
Originally Posted by Mans
I've been out to Toronto 4 times in the last 18mths.

Hi, yes many thanks for the input. I wholehartely agree with you, this i a wonderful place. Did you go to Coronation Park when you visited? If you didnt, check it out when you get here. Wonderful relaxing place, just the right spot for a bar b q, and many do!.. Check out some pics ive got online if you want
www.ohcanada.co.uk
Old Aug 1st 2005, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

just to let you know that the three judges has had a transformation from a pub to a more upmarket restaurant. the best pub to meet expats is the queens on church street (a block behind lakeshore)

ive lived here in oakville for 4 years and although housing is more expensive than most other areas it is a great place to live.

citizen
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=citizen]page not found
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by citizen
just to let you know that the three judges has had a transformation from a pub to a more upmarket restaurant. the best pub to meet expats is the queens on church street (a block behind lakeshore)

ive lived here in oakville for 4 years and although housing is more expensive than most other areas it is a great place to live.

citizen
Many Thanks for that. It didnt show your message a minute ago thats why i posted page not found!..The deannewton bit was all i got...
Old Aug 1st 2005, 3:01 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Went to the Queens,

Good place and got a nice serving of bangers and mash (though beans quite not the same!) with my Guiness

However, It felt great to be in a pub that was smoke free!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.