Nurse query

Old Jun 19th 2017, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Sarahann1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurse query

Hi all, looking at possibly emigrating to Canada. I'm aware you have to sit an exam to become registered as a nurse. I'm three years post qualified, I'm getting the incline it would be better to do the newly qualified exam? But a bit confused! Also read the annual leave is rubbish. In order for you to renew your Pr you need to live there for 2 years without any breaks I presume? If I'm going to apply under a nurse as skill do I have to apply to the state I want to go to via their NMC I know my friend emigrated but didn't sit the exam but she got out there under her nurses qualification? Please could someone also advise how much it would roughly cost? Also would it be better to do agency nursing? Thanks
Old Jun 19th 2017, 9:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse query

Hi, welcome to the Canada side of the forum!

I can't help with the nursing side of things, but there are loads of threads if you do a search which will get you started, until our lovely nurses come along to help you work it all out.

Originally Posted by Sarahann1990
In order for you to renew your Pr you need to live there for 2 years without any breaks I presume?
It's 2 years out of every 5 year period, so you can have breaks i.e. holidays abroad etc, but must spend that amount of time in Canada to maintain PR status.

Please could someone also advise how much it would roughly cost?
Not sure if you mean just getting your nurses qualification sorted, or the whole process and move? If the latter, then is it just you or do you have a family too?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Thank you, it would be me and my partner (unmarried)?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, it would be me and my partner (unmarried)?
OK, so at a rough guess figure between £15-20k, not sure how much you'd have to add on to that for the nursing side of things though, and if you would want/need to do a recce trip to find a job first, then you'll obviously need to add that too.

As long as you and your partner have lived together for a year or more (and can prove it), then you would be deemed 'common-law spouses' and be able to go on the same visa application.

HTH.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so at a rough guess figure between £15-20k, not sure how much you'd have to add on to that for the nursing side of things though, and if you would want/need to do a recce trip to find a job first, then you'll obviously need to add that too.

As long as you and your partner have lived together for a year or more (and can prove it), then you would be deemed 'common-law spouses' and be able to go on the same visa application.

HTH.
Yikes that's a lot more than what I was expecting. When I looked into Australia it was about 6k why is it so much?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP: Canada doesn't have states. It has Provinces and Territories.

As far as the cost I believe it can be done less expensively. Many people come here and don't need/have £15-20k.

Last edited by plasticcanuck; Jun 19th 2017 at 11:02 am.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:00 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes that's a lot more than what I was expecting. When I looked into Australia it was about 6k why is it so much?
Not a question anyone on here can answer, the Canadian government set the fees.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not a question anyone on here can answer, the Canadian government set the fees.
Sorry so you need about 15-20 to come out with so how much does the visas cost then?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Presumably that was just for your visa fees? You need to add on all sorts of other stuff i.e. medicals, IELTS exam, ECA, flights, insurance, shipping, rental deposits, etc - I was meaning a total move cost, which I would guess would be the same (possibly even more) for Oz. This thread might give you a better breakdown of some of it, although most were moving families, but it will give you an idea at least. http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...canada-735341/

HTH.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
As far as the cost I believe it can be done less expensively. Many people come here and don't need/have £15-20k.
I'd love to know how they do.

Visa fees for a couple - $2080 .
Medicals x 2 - £500
IELTs x 2 - £400
ECA x 2 - £400
Flights (not sure where the OP is going but let's say £600 each) - £1200
Shipping/cost of replacing furniture etc when there - £2000 or so (a very low estimate)

So that's just over £6000/$10,000 just for the basic move costs (could be quite a bit more on that list, depending on various things, could be less if they don't need the spouses points for education etc, but most do), add on the $15k+ that the government want to see in your account when you arrive for setting up life in Canada (which we always say is far too low and spent far too quickly!), and that's £15k. If the OP needs to pay other costs in the UK i.e. loses money on a car finance deal, has to pay to stay in a hotel after leaving their home, or other costs when arriving in Canada i.e. hotel rental, car hire, utility deposits, etc, then obviously it will be quite a bit more.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 19th 2017 at 11:19 am.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Medicals x 2 - £500
IELTs x 2 - £400
ECA x 2 - £400
Shipping/cost of replacing furniture etc when there - £2000 or so (a very low estimate)

So that's just over £6000/$10,000 just for the basic move costs (could be quite a bit more on that list, depending on various things, could be less if they don't need the spouses points for education etc, but most do), add on the $15k+ that the government want to see in your account when you arrive for setting up life in Canada (which we always say is far too low and spent far too quickly!), and that's £15k. If the OP needs to pay other costs in the UK i.e. loses money on a car finance deal, has to pay to stay in a hotel after leaving their home, or other costs when arriving in Canada i.e. hotel rental, car hire, utility deposits, etc, then obviously it will be quite a bit more.
Thanks for the breakdown. Do we both need ielts? I thought it was only me if using my skill for the visa?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the breakdown. Do we both need ielts? I thought it was only me if using my skill for the visa?
It depends - you'll get extra points if you both take it, so it depends on if you need those points or not.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:45 am
Just Joined

It depends - you'll get extra points if you both take it, so it depends on if you need those points or not.
ok thanks
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:51 am
Just Joined

So I used this http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp says I got 387 on score am I on the right one? Filled out one yesterday and said I'm eligible for express entry?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Medicals x 2 - £500
IELTs x 2 - £400
ECA x 2 - £400

Just for info for the OP, Australia would be about the same in total, once you add everything on. The visa fee is just part of it,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.