Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Bit pointless moving if the issues are the same ...
I've read the previous threads, and Siouxsie's beautifully phrased, gentle admonishment

Perhaps Delta and her OH are working on a mutually acceptable compromise

Sorry I can't help with NS.

Best of luck, Delta, still following your journey with interest & sympathy, & sending you good thoughts.
SB
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:42 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I've read the previous threads, and Siouxsie's beautifully phrased, gentle admonishment

Perhaps Delta and her OH are working on a mutually acceptable compromise

Sorry I can't help with NS.

Best of luck, Delta, still following your journey with interest & sympathy, & sending you good thoughts.
SB
Maybe they are working on their relationship .. Hence the query. Otherwise why waste time giving info on NS of nothing has changed ?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:56 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Delta, I fear as time goes on, I am in danger of becoming a one trick poney....as my main worry would be....What About The Weather? I have heard really nice things of Halifax, and work with a couple of people from Nova Scotia, and it sounds super, indeed the Annapolis Valley looks stunning and my son went there for three weeks and loved it...but how would the weather on a BC island compare with the weather in NS?

Deva and Silverdragon...how do you find the winters?

I am waiting to have a Canadian renaissance...if the snow ever stops...

Delta from your previous posts, I can understand your need for more general life and vitality around you... I would be nuts in your shoes by now...but how do you feel about snow? There's not much in BC is there?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

Don't have much problem with snow. I've lived in snowy areas before, in the mountains, but then I was younger.... I like it when it snows actually. But I do understand that 5 months of it would wear on anyone.

And the bugs worry me some. I have a son in New Jersey, and I grew up partly in Atlanta Georgia. I do know about bugs.....chiggers in particular.

We would get a lot more for our money there too. That is a consideration for my husband. Looks like we might be able to get oceanfront for what our present house is worth. A little bit more and we would have a very nice place. He has been actually talking about it. First time and place he's been willing to say anything except a grunt.so I'm really hoping we have a winner here. Or maybe I've just worn him down.

NS is also,populated. I could jump in the car and be in a town in under and hour from most places it seems. I'm not a wild woman, but I like the idea of of a cup of coffee and a newspaper. I can't get either where I am now. I'd like to make some friends and go for bike rides, maybe the theatre here and there. Just a regular middle class like life.

The beauty of NS and the Brits there would be a plus for me too.
Well there be snow on the ground in April? I might see if I can't find a pet sitter and go see...
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:18 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent

Will there be snow on the ground in April?
I sure hope not. I'll be returning in a week or so.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Hi,

I haven't been here (NS) for long, but am happy to tell you about the different areas we've looked at. PM me if I can help. We are looking to settle in Dartmouth, which is fairly well populated, but there are lots of areas which are more rural. However, if you are on Facebook there is an expat website and you would get lots of advice on there. They are a nice bunch. I think, if you can, you should come for a visit.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:32 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

If you know about snow and can cope with it then NS might be a good choice for you. In many ways I like my life, I can do lots of things...there are all sorts of things available, bookshops with cafes etc, the cinema and theatre...I'm just hacked off in the tundra!

A man whose opinion I value, tells me that Halifax is one of the nicest he's lived in, and he's travelled a bit. You need to sort out a decent radius of it and see where your fancies might carry you

My post clashed itch Maplease...but that sounds great

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 22nd 2014 at 8:34 pm. Reason: I merged your posts for you - if you need to add anything, you can do so by clicking 'edit' within 2 hours of posting :)
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone comment on the bug population in summer? Mozzies and deer flies?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Sorry, not been through a Summer yet. We've heard that there are a few weeks in May where the blackfly are a biatch! We have also been told that they tend to be in some areas more than others, obviously the standing water being the worse places.

Hopefully someone else can give you more info. I'd be interested too. Hate the bloody things
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived at the end of May last year. We missed the black fly so I can't comment on those. Mosquitoes were quite bad, though nothing compared to what I've seen from northern BC! June bugs are rather large, and bizarre, but only around for a little while (and they don't bite).

There is snow on the ground here just now, and maybe more to come on Wednesday, but it's definitely melting and I would think by mid-April it should be gone.

We're away untll 18th April, but if you time a visit for the end of April I'd be happy to meet for a chat and a coffee!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the invite. I'm waiting to see if I can find a sitter. I'll be in touch.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
Can someone comment on the bug population in summer? Mozzies and deer flies?
I live on the South Shore (between Bridgewater and Liverpool on Hwy 331) , right on the ocean. Tomorrow, I will have my 10th canniversary here , so I have been through 10 summers (and 9 winters) . We do get mozzies in the summer, however since we get a breeze from the ocean, on our property we usually don't have a problem with them. Our neighbour across the road from us, who is in the lee has more mozzies. So if you were looking for properties, you would have to take into account the prevalent wind direction in summer, which of course depends on which area you are looking at.

Summer 2012 was an exception though , it was the worst season for mozzies, EVER (according to my husband, who grew up here and has lived in this area for over 50 years) , we had them from August until December, but like I said it was an unusual year.

As to deer flies.. they are here, but I haven't seen too many yet. Nothing that I see as a particular problem (again.. just me... might be different for others)

Some people feel bothered by deer ticks, but again , it depends on which property you are on. We had none, others had an infestation of them.
I put it down to luck... we have better weather than the rest of the province, not many problems with insects, and generally think we live in the best place we can imagine...
Good luck with your decision!!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Silly questions...
Will I get birds at a bird table?
Do the trees change colour?
Four distinct seasons, yes?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:21 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Did you look at Vancouver Island? I know a lot of people retire to NS but a lot of people retire to Nanaimo. You could still live in a rural area and be within striking distance of Nanaimo or Victoria.

I think the problem with NS is that the air links aren't that stellar (to Europe), plus the weather is worse during the winter. Taxes are quite high too.

But Alexander Graham Bell seemed to like it.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

I'd like to get away from the west coast style.... But thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.