Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia, Hubbards

Nova Scotia, Hubbards

Old Nov 19th 2015, 2:59 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia, Hubbards

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I think they likely know that.I was just giving them my personal info. If you read it, it even quotes numbers. Hopefully that will help in their research.
You asked if you had said something wrong. I said no. I was giving the other side to the coin. It was nothing about you. They may know that, and probably do, but lots of advice may help decide. I don't understand why you're taking it so personal.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 7:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
...I don't understand why you're taking it so personal.
If I may....

There is a general 'tone' on this forum that this part of Canada - Maritimes, Atlantic Canada, Nova Scotia, however you want to describe it is a place where nobody wants to live; isolated; rural...and that's just the "nicer" terms applied.

Some of it is, of course, good humoured. But even good humoured can be repeated so much it seems more like taking the piss and, quite frankly, it gets a bit wearing.

Whenever those of us happily living here suggest we do have running water, electricity, banking and all the rest of it (I'm being 'nice' about this too ) we tend to feel anything from thought of as naive or simple to actually feeling bullied a bit.

"Of course, you live out in the sticks and love it..." can be read in two ways; either in the way explained - with people having different preferences or when one is part of a group always put on the defensive the tone my be misinterpreted as the more usually sarcastic "of course you do" as in "you would say that wouldn't you."
Old Nov 19th 2015, 7:18 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If I may.... There is a general 'tone' on this forum that this part of Canada - Maritimes, Atlantic Canada, Nova Scotia, however you want to describe it is a place where nobody wants to live; isolated; rural...and that's just the "nicer" terms applied. Some of it is, of course, good humoured. But even good humoured can be repeated so much it seems more like taking the piss and, quite frankly, it gets a bit wearing. Whenever those of us happily living here suggest we do have running water, electricity, banking and all the rest of it (I'm being 'nice' about this too ) we tend to feel anything from thought of as naive or simple to actually feeling bullied a bit. "Of course, you live out in the sticks and love it..." can be read in two ways; either in the way explained - with people having different preferences or when one is part of a group always put on the defensive the tone my be misinterpreted as the more usually sarcastic "of course you do" as in "you would say that wouldn't you."
Agreed.It can be very tough to hear this constantly from those that havent even been here.It is different to hear it from someone who has lived here and left, but again, everyones story is different. Some leave because its simply not an area for them (this can apply to anywhere in the world lets face it) Others because they couldnt find or get a job they wanted/neededOthers because they went back to the UK because being away from the UK was what made them miserable. Whatever the reason, all our experiences vary. Some are happy here, very happy, but I like Bristol UK feel exactly the same way about the negativity. His post is spot on.

Last edited by Howefamily; Nov 19th 2015 at 7:22 pm. Reason: one paragraph, wheres the post about fixing this again?
Old Nov 19th 2015, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The North American equivalent of where I live in Scotland. No work ! Nice buildings !
Old Nov 19th 2015, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If I may....

There is a general 'tone' on this forum that this part of Canada - Maritimes, Atlantic Canada, Nova Scotia, however you want to describe it is a place where nobody wants to live; isolated; rural...and that's just the "nicer" terms applied.

Some of it is, of course, good humoured. But even good humoured can be repeated so much it seems more like taking the piss and, quite frankly, it gets a bit wearing.

Whenever those of us happily living here suggest we do have running water, electricity, banking and all the rest of it (I'm being 'nice' about this too ) we tend to feel anything from thought of as naive or simple to actually feeling bullied a bit.

"Of course, you live out in the sticks and love it..." can be read in two ways; either in the way explained - with people having different preferences or when one is part of a group always put on the defensive the tone my be misinterpreted as the more usually sarcastic "of course you do" as in "you would say that wouldn't you."
Most of the people that are negative about the Maritimes are those that have lived there though - there does seem to have been a mass exodus of forum members for other parts of Canada recently, and those folks are perfectly entitled to air their views too.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 8:32 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

If I may....

This is the way I meant it, but as I explained to Howe on PM, it's hard to get accross in words on a forum/email/message, etc.

My preference is busy, varied, close to amenities etc which is why I didn't get on in NS as a whole, because I got bored very quickly. Howe's preference is quiet, away from town, out in the sticks if you will. We don't know what the OPs preference is, which is why I offered that advice of researching first. It is very easy to to be pulled in to a huge house with a very attractive price tag, I was simply explaining why it is so cheap. There is not a lot of work in Hubbards, so travel is essential.
Anyway, I'm sure the OP is already doing their research. After all, it is the obvious thing to do.

Having lived in NS for 6 years, I feel I am allowed an opinion on the place. I'm sorry if people get offended, but not everything is rosy, and people deserve to hear both sides before they make perhaps the biggest and most expensive leap of their lives. It's great if it works for you, but emigrating doesn't work for everyone.
If you don't like to hear from people who weren't, or aren't happy in NS or the Maritimes, don't come on here. Simple.

Last edited by Lorry1; Nov 19th 2015 at 8:54 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 10:06 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
This is the way I meant it, but as I explained to Howe on PM, it's hard to get accross in words on a forum/email/message, etc.

My preference is busy, varied, close to amenities etc which is why I didn't get on in NS as a whole, because I got bored very quickly. Howe's preference is quiet, away from town, out in the sticks if you will. We don't know what the OPs preference is, which is why I offered that advice of researching first. It is very easy to to be pulled in to a huge house with a very attractive price tag, I was simply explaining why it is so cheap. There is not a lot of work in Hubbards, so travel is essential.
Anyway, I'm sure the OP is already doing their research. After all, it is the obvious thing to do.

Having lived in NS for 6 years, I feel I am allowed an opinion on the place. I'm sorry if people get offended, but not everything is rosy, and people deserve to hear both sides before they make perhaps the biggest and most expensive leap of their lives. It's great if it works for you, but emigrating doesn't work for everyone.
If you don't like to hear from people who weren't, or aren't happy in NS or the Maritimes, don't come on here. Simple.
Yes NS was definitely not for you but why was that? What was the reason?
I know you feel that Halifax was boring but be fair, did it really have less than an average town of that size in the UK? Personally it far outweighs many towns in the SE for bars and nightlife (not Brighton or London of course) but I do have more options than I used to have living in the SE of England in a comparable size town.
And Hubbards is like a pretty quaint English village, hardly any work so you have to commute. But it's really not that far and it really doesn't have to cost a fortune, it's on a par with living in Lindfield and working in Brighton. But at a $1 a litre for gas.

I am ambitious and am in a far more progressive company than I have worked at in my life.

So, let's be fair. Let's remember the positives too.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 10:32 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Yes NS was definitely not for you but why was that? What was the reason? I know you feel that Halifax was boring but be fair, did it really have less than an average town of that size in the UK? Personally it far outweighs many towns in the SE for bars and nightlife (not Brighton or London of course) but I do have more options than I used to have living in the SE of England in a comparable size town.And Hubbards is like a pretty quaint English village, hardly any work so you have to commute. But it's really not that far and it really doesn't have to cost a fortune, it's on a par with living in Lindfield and working in Brighton. But at a $1 a litre for gas. I am ambitious and am in a far more progressive company than I have worked at in my life. So, let's be fair. Let's remember the positives too.
I've never been to the Maritimes, but if they're anything like New England, Maine and the other NE US states, it sounds idilic. Some people can work from home and are self-employed, so don't need to worry about the job situation. They can just enjoy the scenery.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 11:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Most of the people that are negative about the Maritimes are those that have lived there though
I don't think that's true at all. As much as I enjoy most of dbd's posts, he probably has as many negative posts about it as all the others put together.
But you know how when someone says they don't like where they live in the UK and they want to move to Canada, you and many others - quite reasonably - suggest they consider somewhere else in the UK.
By the same token when someone doesn't like living in, say, rural NS why not also consider another part of NS or another part of a different province or even a bigger town or a bigger city?

Why is it accepted that because they didn't like that one part of it it's fine to dismiss the whole?

- there does seem to have been a mass exodus of forum members for other parts of Canada recently
I don't think that's true either.

Someone left and went to Ontario and it's quite obvious they'd rather have stayed. Someone else is on the way. A forum regular who doesn't post much any more was quite damning but for a few years after moving to NS said how great it was compared to where she was earlier.

There's plenty who stayed. What there has been an exodus of is members, especially those in NS, who don't post anymore or post little because of the tone of many posts. And I'm not just thinking of ontheboatout

My PMs box over the years has told me all about those folk.

...folks are perfectly entitled to air their views too.
They certainly are. Even when facts show them to be wrong.

I keep hearing of a lack of opportunity. But I posted all those employers earlier and stated it was much the same in Saint John and the Provincial capital of Fredericton.

That doesn't sound like a lack of opportunity. Half of the population of NB lives in these three areas.

It might not be as good away from these areas. So don't move away from these areas then. Don't dismiss an entire region because because of something peculiar to one part (or even several parts) of it when there are different parts.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 11:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that's true at all. As much as I enjoy most of dbd's posts, he probably has as many negative posts about it as all the others put together. But you know how when someone says they don't like where they live in the UK and they want to move to Canada, you and many others - quite reasonably - suggest they consider somewhere else in the UK.By the same token when someone doesn't like living in, say, rural NS why not also consider another part of NS or another part of a different province or even a bigger town or a bigger city? Why is it accepted that because they didn't like that one part of it it's fine to dismiss the whole? I don't think that's true either. Someone left and went to Ontario and it's quite obvious they'd rather have stayed. Someone else is on the way. A forum regular who doesn't post much any more was quite damning but for a few years after moving to NS said how great it was compared to where she was earlier. There's plenty who stayed. What there has been an exodus of is members, especially those in NS, who don't post anymore or post little because of the tone of many posts. And I'm not just thinking of ontheboatout My PMs box over the years has told me all about those folk. They certainly are. Even when facts show them to be wrong. I keep hearing of a lack of opportunity. But I posted all those employers earlier and stated it was much the same in Saint John and the Provincial capital of Fredericton. That doesn't sound like a lack of opportunity. Half of the population of NB lives in these three areas. It might not be as good away from these areas. So don't move away from these areas then. Don't dismiss an entire region because because of something peculiar to one part (or even several parts) of it when there are different parts.
If you enjoy an area, just enjoy it. Who cares about the comment made by others? It always amuses me reading the comments about Victoria being God's waiting room. Maybe it is. Who cares? I like it as a city and enjoy visiting/shopping etc etc.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Mellios is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you speak French, Mellios?
Very little, enough to just about get by in France. Not that that would help too much here, the French spoken round here is something I've never heard before. There are a couple of places nearby where French is the 1st language but fortunately for me it isn't in my area.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 11:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mellios
Very little, enough to just about get by in France. Not that that would help too much here, the French spoken round here is something I've never heard before. There are a couple of places nearby where French is the 1st language but fortunately for me it isn't in my area.
Ah. I wondered because, when we were in Yarmouth this year, I was surprised how French/Acadian it was.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Mellios is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah. I wondered because, when we were in Yarmouth this year, I was surprised how French/Acadian it was.
Yep, Wedgeport, Quinnan, Pubnico and a few more have a strong French influence. It's such an odd French language though, there's a guy here who has French as a first language and I have told him words that he's never heard. Car for example, when I said Voiture he didn't know the word. They call it L'Automobile. There are tons of examples like that, it's fascinating hearing them talk to each other as at least one or two words per sentence are just English words with Le or La put before them!
Old Nov 20th 2015, 4:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Wedgeport, Quinnan, Pubnico and a few more have a strong French influence. It's such an odd French language though, there's a guy here who has French as a first language and I have told him words that he's never heard. Car for example, when I said Voiture he didn't know the word. They call it L'Automobile. There are tons of examples like that, it's fascinating hearing them talk to each other as at least one or two words per sentence are just English words with Le or La put before them!
That's quite interesting. French (from France) has of course adopted many words from English in recent decades, le tennis, le weekend for example, but I think I'm right in saying that all such words are assigned as masculine.

Experts?
Old Nov 25th 2015, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I was living in Yarmouth until a little under two years ago... maybe we have met? How long have you been there?
I so totally inderstand what you are saying about the French spoken there. i speak fluent French - from France - but omg what a struggle to understand them. Clare Acadians do speak a French closer to what I speak and I could hold a very slow conversation with them but if I tried speaking to somebody from Pubnico there was no chance!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.