Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia. Driver's licence, buying and insuring the car.

Nova Scotia. Driver's licence, buying and insuring the car.

Old Oct 11th 2017, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Bobrovsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nova Scotia. Driver's licence, buying and insuring the car.

Hi,

I am planning to move from Manitoba to Nova Scotia.

I have several question about car insurance and driver's licences.

1) Driver's Licence.
I can exchange my Manitoba Driver's Licence (Class 5 Full) to a Novo Scotia Driver's Licence without any tests. Is it right? I've got Manitoba licence in March 2017, but I showed 10 years driving experience and 10 years driving without accidents. Will Nova Scotia driving authorities count this experience? Or I need to provide new driving references/abstract?

2) Buying the car.
If you buy the car in Manitoba from a private seller, the tax is 8%. Should you pay 15% in Nova Scotia? What about the inspection? Should it be done every two years? Is inspection compulsory when you buy a vehicle (from private seller)? You don't need an inspection when the car (that you are going to buy) was inspected within 1 month before the purchase date?

3) Car insurance.
In Manitoba everything is done at MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance). The car is registered/re-registered and insured in Autopac or MPI office. In Nova Scotia insurance is provided by private companies. When the car should be insured? Before the purchase or after the purchase? Is paperwork done online or in the office?
Is it legal in Nova Scotia to ask for the test drive if only the seller has insurance for the car?
Can my wife drive the car that is insured on my name? In Manitoba she can.
Now I pay about 90$ per month in Manitoba for 2007 Mazda.
What should I expect for the same car in Nova Scotia?

Is it worth to bring the car from Manitoba to Nova Scotia?

Thank you

Kind regards,
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia. Driver's licence, buying and insuring the car.

Canada and United States: People who have a valid regular Driver's Licence from Canada or the United States can usually exchange their licence for a Nova Scotia Driver's Licence, and they do not have to take a road test (Driving Examination). This applies to Class 5 licences (see classes of licences at the start of this section).
https://novascotia.ca/sns/paal/rmv/paal269.asp

Owners of out-of-province vehicles must present an out-of-province title.

Vehicles Entering from Outside Nova Scotia
A “used vehicle” entering the province, that is required to be registered (titled) in the province, will require a Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Inspection no later than 30 days after the date of the vehicle’s entry into the province and prior to registration (titling). A “used vehicle” that passes a Motor Vehicle Inspection will receive a sticker showing a two (2) year expiry date for a “type 1 vehicle” or one (1) year expiry date for a “type 2 vehicle”.
https://novascotia.ca/sns/rmv/registration/default.asp

1-800-670-4357
Old Oct 11th 2017, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia. Driver's licence, buying and insuring the car.

It strikes me that it would be less hassle to drive your current car from Manitoba to NS.

Very long drive I know, but I would live without the hassle of selling then buying and paying tax etc.

Unless of course you fancy a change of car anyway.....