Nova Scotia

Old May 19th 2016, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

ShugMcGunnigle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nova Scotia

Hi Everybody,

I am seeking some advice on possibly moving out to Halifax Nova Scotia.

It is a massive step and I am hoping to get as much info as possible before coming to a final decision.

I am being offered a salary of 80000 Canadian Dollars, which I believe is an average salary. Tax is roughly 30%?

So the things I am looking for advice on is:-

Cable TV/Internet/Phone $200?
Utilities $200
Car Insurance No idea
Average Cost of Car $400?
3 Bedroom Apt $1200-$1300?

I am almost undoubtedly missing several other expenses, but no idea what?

I appreciate all the feedback and help form anyone.
Old May 19th 2016, 12:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by ShugMcGunnigle
It is a massive step and I am hoping to get as much info as possible before coming to a final decision.
Any children or other dependents?
Old May 19th 2016, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
Any children or other dependents?
I have a wife and 4 year old daughter
Old May 19th 2016, 12:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a wife and 4 year old daughter
Then it's not clear cut. My thought was that Halifax is passably lively town in an attractive province, a single person on $80,000 should be able to have a blast.

Three people requires a more mature consideration. There aren't a lot of jobs in NS so, if you don't like or lose that one, you may be stuck. If your wife wants/needs to work that may be difficult to arrange. If you're looking really long term then you should be reconciled to the idea of the daughter growing up and leaving.

Still, nice place, scenic, squiddly diddly music, not as bleak as Newfoundland.
Old May 19th 2016, 1:48 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Few places are....
Old May 19th 2016, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

With a wife and kid, and assuming they aren't going to work you will need to factor some costs in for adding them to your employee health insurance plan.
Old May 19th 2016, 6:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Then it's not clear cut. My thought was that Halifax is passably lively town in an attractive province, a single person on $80,000 should be able to have a blast.

Three people requires a more mature consideration. There aren't a lot of jobs in NS so, if you don't like or lose that one, you may be stuck. If your wife wants/needs to work that may be difficult to arrange. If you're looking really long term then you should be reconciled to the idea of the daughter growing up and leaving.

Personally I think $80k with a small family would be enough to live on in NS - though your point about the lack of other employment is a good point. I would suggest the OP (should they decide to move over) apply for Permanent Residency asap so they can move elsewhere if needs be!

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
With a wife and kid, and assuming they aren't going to work you will need to factor some costs in for adding them to your employee health insurance plan.
Not necessarily - my healthplan was fully paid by my employers. It's negotiable - I don't know whether they would be covered under the Provincial Healthcare but I'm sure knowledgeable people will come along to advise.

@ShugMcGunnigle

Hello and welcome to BE!

Exciting times

Has the company offered you a position subject to getting a LMIA? Relocation package? Sponsorship for PR?

As to costs - there's a few threads on the subject here and there (for food ones, look for the groceries thread in the maple leaf forum) but here's one to be going on with: http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...scotia-877067/

Whilst it's probably not completely accurate this numbeo will give you an approximation of costs. http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...a&city=Halifax

For salary deductions (bearing in mind if your wife isn't working you can claim her tax allowance as well - this calculator won't show that) see this post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad.../#post10240575

Last edited by Siouxie; May 19th 2016 at 6:51 pm.
Old May 20th 2016, 3:03 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

just for your info - $80k in NS is higher than average. If its a good company with decent opportunities for growth you may well be fine.
Old May 24th 2016, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

expor83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everybody,

I am seeking some advice on possibly moving out to Halifax Nova Scotia.

I am being offered a salary of 80000 Canadian Dollars, which I believe is an average salary. Tax is roughly 30%?

So the things I am looking for advice on is:-

Cable TV/Internet/Phone $200?
Utilities $200
Car Insurance No idea
Average Cost of Car $400?
3 Bedroom Apt $1200-$1300?

I am almost undoubtedly missing several other expenses, but no idea what?

I appreciate all the feedback and help form anyone.
Myself and my partner moved to Halifax, NS from UK so can provide some input around specifically Halifax as we've lived in 3 different places in the last 2 years.

Depending where you want to live in NS will have a big difference, my understanding is that Halifax is relatively pricey at least on the peninsula so I can only guide you on our experience, we've paid between $1100 and $1500 for a two bedroom house / apartment. However I'm sure you could get something for the $1300 for a 3 bedroom, you're just not going to be downtown.

Because we have no car insurance history in Canada we pay on the high end of insurance, at around $1500 per year for a 2005 Elantra.

Cable / Internet is about right on the money at $200, it is the internet that is at least $100 but once you get your tv package and addons like HD, DVR etc then you're at about the $200 mark.

Utilities will vary obviously but roughly $200 would cover it, it will depend if you have oil heating (which does work out to be a bit more expensive) we've used both heat pump and oil, and the pump does come in cheaper. For the electric you're stuck to basically NS Power, bit of a monopoly in that area:P

In comparison to the UK we've found it fairly comparable, some food items seem higher but it pretty much balances out at least in our experience. Possibly slightly more expensive than what we were used to, but not enough to make it a problem.
Old May 25th 2016, 7:44 am
Just Joined

I just want to thank you all for your responses.

I have been offered the job subject to LMIA, so it may not end up happening anyway.
Old Jun 21st 2016, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

debbie2801 is an unknown quantity at this point

When we moved to NS, my husband was offered two jobs prior to arriving and started two weeks after getting here. I had three months off and then it took me another three months to find a job that I really liked but had other offers, so there are plenty of jobs, depending on your skills. Childcare costs vary, but for a friend, she has her little one in an excellent day care for $350 per month per day. Costs seem to balance out compared to the UK, some higher, some lower but vehicles and gas so much cheaper.

It takes time to 'do the deed' but so worth it and we've never looked back.