Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

not sure about the move from England to Canada

not sure about the move from England to Canada

Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: not sure about the move from England to Canada

Hes a truck driver so would be driving over there, he used to do that before moving to england..There isnt a reservation school on the reserve..so the kids would have the same education as any other canadian kids there

Last edited by jaynie35uk; Aug 24th 2015 at 6:21 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the prospects for truck drivers in Sudbury but I can say with certainty that Canadian schools are not created equal and a reservation school in the boonies is not going to offer the same education as a school in a sought after postal code. The same is true of healthcare.

Do you know of anyone else who was not born on a reserve who moved to one?
Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

the kids would be in a school in sudbury and not on reserve..
Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:40 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

At the very least go and visit for yourself. I can't speak for the reserves in Sudbury, but around here they're pretty grim. Unemployment is around 70-80%. Crime, alcohol and drug abuse are prevalent.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

dbd33 where in ontario are you living, and whats it like?
Old Aug 24th 2015, 7:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk
dbd33 where in ontario are you living, and whats it like?
Recent thread with some posts about that here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...please-863444/

However, when I had children at home, I lived in Toronto and they went to school in Toronto.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

This might be useful

2006 Aboriginal Population Profile for Sudbury

If your husband is a driver then will he be away from home much?
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

thanks dbd33 for the info ....bats..not sure, hes been looking at a 2 week on and 2 week off job..but when he lived in canada all the well paid jobs were working away from home foe a length of time..
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:38 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My husband wants to live on a reserve near sudbury..hes a native american and has family there...hes just been there with our 3 children for nearly a month and thinks it would be a better life for the kids, im not convinced so wanted others views on what they think of canada in general...(i know its not a reservation that most will be living on).. saying that he could leave his car open with loose change in it with no problem and it is a nice reserve..My worry is the lack of variety, from what i see, its lakes and pine trees(northern ontario) where we live in england we are near the coast, close to the dales and not too far from the lake district, have castles and everything to hand...and my fear(maybe unfounded) is boredom and nowhere to go for a day trip etc..with everything being so far apart..BUT i really dont know as ive only been briefly and that was just travelling to a couple of places with 1 yr old twins in tow so didnt really get a feel for the place, but have been left with an opinion of this area that isnt very good....thankyou for everyones opinions so far, and i welcome more ..whats it like where you are all living as anywhere in canada might be a compromise rather me refusing to go..lol xx
This is ONE reason we are thinking of moving to Ontario (from Alberta), we would move to Southern Ontario, it is becoming increasingly likely our big move will be back to the UK though as we are not sure Ontario will be enough of a fix for us. A lovely thing to happen would be for the oilfields to pick right up, hire everyone in sight, get the economy booming like it was 10 years ago so we could sell up at an unreal profit and buy a place in Ont and a place in the UK, either that or a big lottery win and I think the chances of either happening are slim to none
Old Aug 24th 2015, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
He's romanticizing it. The cultural differences will be too great for you imo. There is so much discrimination of First Nations/Indian people plus, there are so many documented social problems on reserves. They are not places many outsiders would choose to live, let alone take their children there for an extended period of time. I think you’d just be exchanging one unhappy/discontented person for another.
Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think your fear is unfounded and, unless you're homeless and about to lose your drug connection, I don't see how a reserve near Sudbury can offer a better life to your children than you have now. I think moving to Canada but off the reserve is a sensible compromise only inasmuch as, off the reserve, your children would have a shot at an education and healthcare.
These 2 posts pretty much sum up my feelings. You asked for opinions and I have to be honest and say this sounds like a really bad idea.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 9:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to check that you would be allowed to live on the reserve as a non-native as some of them have by-laws prohibiting this. Additionally, it's possible you may not be able to own land or buildings on some reserves, so if something happened to your spouse or you separated, you could be forced to move elsewhere.

Six Nations revisits residency bylaw | Brantford Expositor
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

oh i never thought of that Siouxie..thanks xx
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:28 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker
I was sure before we came but for the first 3 years I could have gone back to the UK in a heartbeat! I found it very different to the UK, particularly the people. After 4 years I feel a little more settled and we will stay here. There are lots of positives about living here but do I think we made the right move? The jury's still out. If I had to leave my children then there is no way I would do it personally, but if you don't try it then you may always regret it. I don't envy you making the decision lol!
I was the opposite. The first 4 years I couldn't see myself leaving.

Now that I have more career aspirations I get itches and pangs to head back to the UK all the time.

Moving from the UK to Sudbury sounds pretty extreme to me. Chalk and cheese. If the OP has reservations I can see why.

In a city she could carry the aspiration that her children could visit her via a 7 hour flight. I can't imagine Sudbury being convenient to visit as they tend to charge an arm and a leg for short haul domestic flights across Canada.

Last edited by JamesM; Aug 25th 2015 at 12:32 am.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:33 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

My husband wants to live on a reserve near sudbury..hes a native american and has family there...

And where you'd be living would probably be worse than that...

Sudbury is actually quite a nice town, I have a friend there, but the winters are epic. All I can say is, all the years I've been on this forum, the people who move to the small towns or the middle of nowhere are the ones who moan the most. I was just watching the fall in the price of nickel on CNBC and I've encountered several people from Sudbury who moved here because they couldn't find work in Sudbury.

Is your husband a Jay Treaty Indian? Is that how he came to be living in the UK?

Jay Treaty Indians are British, Canadian and have an automatic claim to US LPR status by birth, so perhaps you should explore the third option as well. He could claim LPR status in the US and sponsor you as F2A but that takes a couple of years.

I think a better idea would be to move to somewhere like Aurora which would be less of a shock to you and your kids and he can always head up the 404 if he wants to visit family.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Ice storms don't happen regularly. We have socialized medicine so there are few healthcare costs and supplemental insurance (ie. for prescription drugs, dental work, etc.) are usually provided through one's employer and do not have high co-pays.
You know a lot of people even working full-time at low wages don't get insurance through work, and even if a professional may not get any benefits since casual employment is very popular in some sectors, healthcare workers being one such sector where casual employment is the norm for many professionals.

Prescription drugs while lower cost then the US can cost a small fortune in Canada without coverage, and even in a province who has prescription benefits like BC you still have to meet the deductible before cover kicks in and then it's only partial and some medications are not covered.

Dental work is not cheap either, basic things can cost several hundred, and more complicated procedures can easily be over 1,000, and without coverage dental visits can and are cost prohibitive for some people.

Healthcare costs in Canada need to be considered by anyone moving here, and one cannot assume or rely on an employer providing benefits. Great if they do, but a lot of employers offer no benefits.

Even with coverage you still may end up out of pocket a fair amount.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 25th 2015 at 12:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.