Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

North Vancouver visit help needed please.

North Vancouver visit help needed please.

Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute
Default North Vancouver visit help needed please.

I will be in spending 3 days in North Vancouver in mid October. My husband will be working all day so I need to occupy my self with shopping, walks, and tourist stuff. I wont have a car, I really need Vancouver peeps to guide me here, which area do I choose? if anyone can recommend a really nice hotel I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Vancouver visit help needed please.

Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain, Granville Island.

I usually stay at the Fairmont Waterfront, although we tried the Pacific Rim last time and it was not at all bad.

The Pan Pacific has nice views of the harbour.

All three are a short walk to the Sea Bus, so you husband can get to North Van and you are in the downtown area to sightsee.

Metrotown Shopping centre is accessible by Skytrain and Robson Street is a short walk from downtown.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 25th 2015 at 2:50 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dahab
I will be in spending 3 days in North Vancouver in mid October. My husband will be working all day so I need to occupy my self with shopping, walks, and tourist stuff. I wont have a car, I really need Vancouver peeps to guide me here, which area do I choose? if anyone can recommend a really nice hotel I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
The high-end hotels are mostly in downtown Vancouver. This is commutable as the Seabus crosses Burrard Inlet from downtown Vancouver to Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver every 15 minutes during the day.

The main walk-able shopping street in North Vancouver is Lonsdale so a hotel near there is a good idea. There is a hotel right near the Seabus terminal called, appropriately, the Lonsdale Quay Hotel. I have not stayed there so cannot give a recommendation but it is certainly in the right place. It means that you will be able to hop on the Seabus and explore Vancouver rather than being restricted to North Vancouver. The bus terminal is also nearby so you can get buses to places around the North Shore.

There is a market and a good food court at the terminal. Just avoid eating at the British pub. The food is very, ...er..., British.

There are several chain hotels around N Van which tend to be much of a muchness.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Dahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond reputeDahab has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. The only reason I thought N Van is because the person who will take my husband into our Vancouver office lives in N Van so I thought it would be easy for them. How feasible is it to stay in down town Vancouver and for my husband to be collected on the way through. The office is situated in Richmond V6X area.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 3:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. The only reason I thought N Van is because the person who will take my husband into our Vancouver office lives in N Van so I thought it would be easy for them. How feasible is it to stay in down town Vancouver and for my husband to be collected on the way through. The office is situated in Richmond V6X area.
Perfectly feasible but may be a bit of an inconvenience for the driver if they use the Second Narrows bridge to cross Burrard Inlet. From downtown you can get the Canada Line to North Richmond. You might even be able to find a station within walking distance of his office. Check out the journey here. TransLink - Trip Planning

Another option might be for you to stay in a hotel in Richmond near to his office. There are plenty of tourist standard hotels as you are very close to the airport. Some "posher" ones as well. E.g. Vancouver Airport Hotel | The Westin Wall Centre, Vancouver Airport Hotel You can then take the Canada Line to downtown Vancouver to explore.

This might be more convenient but it will be more fun to be downtown and let him commute.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on which way that person goes to work.

He/she will go over the Knight, Oak or Arthur Laing bridges to get in to Richmond.

They will either travel over Lions Gate Bridge and through Vancouver or if they live in East North Vancouver they MAY take HW1 to Boundary Road and down that way.

If they go over Lions Gate, pretty much any downtown hotel is easily accessible without much of a detour.

Personally I would choose Vancouver over the North Shore for convenience, but for under $10 for a Transit day pass, Vancouver is your oyster! I wouldn't go for an airport hotel (or any for that matter) in Richmond either.

Last edited by withabix; Aug 25th 2015 at 3:48 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 4:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

For me there is no question other than stay downtown. I feel sure for 3 days it won't be a big inconvenience.

From Richmond to North Van, the driver could go past the Fairmont or for sure go past the Westin Bayshore which in on the approach to the Lions Gate.

Might be worth your OH looking into getting picked up from the Seabus terminal on N Van.

If he loves you, he won't leave you stuck in North Van or Richmond!
Old Aug 25th 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Don't waste your time visiting the new MacArthur Glenn Outlet shopping centre near the airport.

Higher prices than 'normal' shops to start with (and the discount applies to the second item purchased etc) - aimed at the oriental shopper who thinks they are getting a bargain just because the shop tells them they are.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 8:41 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a nice hotel in North Van called The Pinnacle and it's right on lower lonsdale and 5 mins from the sea bus.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by withabix
Don't waste your time visiting the new MacArthur Glenn Outlet shopping centre near the airport.

Higher prices than 'normal' shops to start with (and the discount applies to the second item purchased etc) - aimed at the oriental shopper who thinks they are getting a bargain just because the shop tells them they are.
Good to know..we were planning on stopping by from the island when we are coming to activate our CoPR...will give that a miss then! Liked the MacArthur Glenn in Scotland, thought it might be the same. Washington shops it is then!
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
Good to know..we were planning on stopping by from the island when we are coming to activate our CoPR...will give that a miss then! Liked the MacArthur Glenn in Scotland, thought it might be the same. Washington shops it is then!
Nothing like the European MacArthur Glenn places or any other Outlet Village I've ever been to.

Also one of their 'features' is that you're right under the glidepath of the landing planes at YVR. Given that you are a whole 500-1000 metres from the end of the runway, lets just say the planes are 'quite low'...
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Aviator
For me there is no question other than stay downtown. I feel sure for 3 days it won't be a big inconvenience.
To be fair to the OP I probably didn't stress this enough. North Richmond is a mix of industrial and commercial. Pretty it isn't. Stay downtown and let the OH make the journey to the office.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by withabix
right under the glidepath of the landing planes at YVR.
Being somewhat of a pedant, one hopes an a/c is not 'gliding'. Being on the end of the active, one can be on the climb out, and full power, or on the approach and reduced power, never the less noisy. A glidepath would be nice and quiet, if not a bit alarming for the pax!
Old Aug 26th 2015, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aviator
Being somewhat of a pedant, one hopes an a/c is not 'gliding'. Being on the end of the active, one can be on the climb out, and full power, or on the approach and reduced power, never the less noisy. A glidepath would be nice and quiet, if not a bit alarming for the pax!
Being pedantic back, I believe my use of the word is as per the Dictionary definition...
Old Aug 31st 2015, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: North Vancouver visit help needed please.

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. Apparently the guy who is giving my husband a ride to the office has recently moved to Coquitlam, so no need to be looking at N Vancouver.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.