Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Noise in the apartment building

Noise in the apartment building

Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:26 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Noise in the apartment building

So I live in a brand new high rise apartment building and most nights we get this subtle noise that seem to be coming from the floor directly above us. The noise resembles as if someone is assembling and moving furniture around (light hammering, tools picked and put back, nails dropping, heavy stuff dragging etc)

It usually starts late evenings and sometimes lasts until 1-2 AM with intervals that are absolutely random every single time the incident happens. Sometimes when I don't hear it at all in the night then the action starts early in the morning. I have checked from the outside of the building to see which tenant has lights on so I can pin point to the source of this nuisance but that has produced mixed results as its not always the same apartment every time the noise is on.

It has been an absolute nightmare and indeed since I have moved in and so far I have approached the management of the building numerous times to discuss this. But they are reluctant to accept that these noises are caused by another tenant on the upper floor. The tend to think (or pretend) that these noises are caused by a mechanical system (heating etc.). On one occasion they blamed it on the building being brand new and going through its 'natural settling process'.

From those of you who know about these things do you agree with what the management is telling me or do you think they are BSing cuz they don't want to take the trouble to deal with the source of the problem?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noise in the apartment building

You basically describe what we hear at various times in the day. (at times it sounds like someone is bowling upstairs, dragging a couch, dropping things etc.)

I just assume its the person upstairs.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 12th 2017 at 7:41 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like BS from management.

You need to identify the source but going outside isn't the way to do it. You should be able to do it from inside. The next time you hear the noise, go up to the apt above you and listen to see if you can identify which one it is coming from. Knock on the door, introduce yourself and politely ask if they are creating the noise or if they can hear it. Then do the same to neighbouring apts until you find it. Once you have established the source, you can go back to management if they refuse to cease and desist.

I've lived in lots of apt buildings over the years and had similar issues. At one apt building I lived in, a couple living above me would come home late at night (and I mean every single night of the week!) and walk around on their hardwood floors wearing what sounded like clogs for what seemed like hours - well into the early hours of the morning! I had to confront them ("could you at least remove your shoes?") and then eventually ask management to deal with them.

I always tried to get an upper floor apt because I hated listening to people walking across my ceiling although there's still the possibility of noisy neighbours below (loud music, tv, etc). It never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate other apt tenants can be sometimes. New builds really should have better sound proofing but that's a cost developers or landlords don't appear to want.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How high is "high rise" ..... and is it concrete or steel framed, or is it timber framed.

In North America it is common, indeed usual, for flats/apartments/condos to be timber framed for buildings up to at least 10-12 floors high, and timber-framed buildings are very susceptible to noise transmission between floors.

That said, it sounds like you are being BS'ed. .... Are there rules/restrictions on permitted flooring? It is common for hard surface floors being restricted and/or carpeting and rugs being required/ specified. If there are such rules and they are apparently being broken then it absolutely IS up to the building management to investigate the reports of any problems.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
So I live in a brand new high rise apartment building and most nights we get this subtle noise that seem to be coming from the floor directly above us. The noise resembles as if someone is assembling and moving furniture around (light hammering, tools picked and put back, nails dropping, heavy stuff dragging etc)

It usually starts late evenings and sometimes lasts until 1-2 AM with intervals that are absolutely random every single time the incident happens. Sometimes when I don't hear it at all in the night then the action starts early in the morning. I have checked from the outside of the building to see which tenant has lights on so I can pin point to the source of this nuisance but that has produced mixed results as its not always the same apartment every time the noise is on.

It has been an absolute nightmare and indeed since I have moved in and so far I have approached the management of the building numerous times to discuss this. But they are reluctant to accept that these noises are caused by another tenant on the upper floor. The tend to think (or pretend) that these noises are caused by a mechanical system (heating etc.). On one occasion they blamed it on the building being brand new and going through its 'natural settling process'.

From those of you who know about these things do you agree with what the management is telling me or do you think they are BSing cuz they don't want to take the trouble to deal with the source of the problem?
Do you live in my condo unit without me knowing about it?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:58 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You need to identify the source but going outside isn't the way to do it. You should be able to do it from inside. The next time you hear the noise, go up to the apt above you and listen to see if you can identify which one it is coming from. Knock on the door, introduce yourself and politely ask if they are creating the noise or if they can hear it. Then do the same to neighbouring apts until you find it. Once you have established the source, you can go back to management if they refuse to cease and desist.
I would have definitely done that by now but unfortunately they have limited tenants' access only to their own floors through key fobs. Therefore, my only recourse so far has been to check the lights from the outside of the building.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:00 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How high is "high rise" ..... and is it concrete or steel framed, or is it timber framed.
Its a 14 story building. The floors are concrete and I don't know about the structure but it is definitely not timber.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I would have definitely done that by now but unfortunately they have limited tenants' access only to their own floors through key fobs. Therefore, my only recourse so far has been to check the lights from the outside of the building.
That sounds great for security, in theory, but what do you do in the event of an emergency (fire/earthquake or similar), where you can't use the lift and you get halfway down the building and find the stairs on the floors below are blocked?

(Yes, ok, my mind is going into overdrive, lol)
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:13 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Its a 14 story building. The floors are concrete and I don't know about the structure but it is definitely not timber.
Are they a young couple? They might simply be shagging each other senseless.

That's not as silly as it seems. A mate of mine moved out of an apartment for that reason. The female neighbour was apparently a bit of "a screamer".
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:29 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
That sounds great for security, in theory, but what do you do in the event of an emergency (fire/earthquake or similar), where you can't use the lift and you get halfway down the building and find the stairs on the floors below are blocked?
You can get into the stairs through the staircase door on each floor however, you cannot get back in onto any floors as the doors only open one way. So the only place you can land is the ground floor.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:49 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
You can get into the stairs through the staircase door on each floor however, you cannot get back in onto any floors as the doors only open one way. So the only place you can land is the ground floor.
Exactly my point. Scary, in the event of an emergency!
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Exactly my point. Scary, in the event of an emergency!
Edo should buy himself an axe in case of emergencies.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Sounds like BS from management.

I've lived in lots of apt buildings over the years and had similar issues. At one apt building I lived in, a couple living above me would come home late at night (and I mean every single night of the week!) and walk around on their hardwood floors wearing what sounded like clogs for what seemed like hours - well into the early hours of the morning! I had to confront them ("could you at least remove your shoes?") and then eventually ask management to deal with them.

I always tried to get an upper floor apt because I hated listening to people walking across my ceiling although there's still the possibility of noisy neighbours below (loud music, tv, etc). It never ceases to amaze me how inconsiderate other apt tenants can be sometimes. New builds really should have better sound proofing but that's a cost developers or landlords don't appear to want.
You would think, you would also think new builds would be better insulated.

Better off looking for a well cared for older building from the 60's and 70's, those tend to be bigger, quieter, and better insulated, at least the one's I have lived in.

the 3 built in the 2008 to 2014 time frame have been cold, poorly insulted, and noisy.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
You would think, you would also think new builds would be better insulated.

Better off looking for a well cared for older building from the 60's and 70's, those tend to be bigger, quieter, and better insulated, ....
An older and less "exciting" building is likely to attract a quieter type of tenant too.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a case for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.