Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NOC 7372 drilling wanting to move to Canada!

NOC 7372 drilling wanting to move to Canada!

Old Jun 17th 2017, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Bigred01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NOC 7372 drilling wanting to move to Canada!

Hello to you all!

This is my first post and if anyone can help with my situation please do πŸ‘

My name is Joe, I'm 30yrs old from the uk. I've visited Canada twice before on holidays and have been completely in love with Canada, Everything about it suits me perfectly, the culture, way of life and scenery is amazing. I was in Vancouver/whistler and didn't want to leave to come home.

Since December I have been looking into what would be the best way to move to Canada, I don't have the most glorious job that holds 100x qualifications and certificates but do think my trade and my experience is a wanted trade. I'm currently hoping to move to BC or maybe AB.

I work as a piler for a construction company, I have 10 years + of piling/drilling/ construction experience and hold a certificate for brick laying. I have sent me cv to 5 companies in Canada and didn't hear anything at all back.. Worrying but I don't think it will discourage me!

Could anyone advise and advice that may help me moving forward with the process? I'm 100% genuine and wanting to move as soon as possible.

Many thanks, Joe.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC 7372 drilling wanting to move to Canada!

Originally Posted by Bigred01
Hello to you all!

This is my first post and if anyone can help with my situation please do πŸ‘

My name is Joe, I'm 30yrs old from the uk. I've visited Canada twice before on holidays and have been completely in love with Canada, Everything about it suits me perfectly, the culture, way of life and scenery is amazing. I was in Vancouver/whistler and didn't want to leave to come home.

Since December I have been looking into what would be the best way to move to Canada, I don't have the most glorious job that holds 100x qualifications and certificates but do think my trade and my experience is a wanted trade. I'm currently hoping to move to BC or maybe AB.

I work as a piler for a construction company, I have 10 years + of piling/drilling/ construction experience and hold a certificate for brick laying. I have sent me cv to 5 companies in Canada and didn't hear anything at all back.. Worrying but I don't think it will discourage me!

Could anyone advise and advice that may help me moving forward with the process? I'm 100% genuine and wanting to move as soon as possible.

Many thanks, Joe.
Well, as perhaps you know the Oil business in Alberta (Canada's main Oil region) has taken a downturn with many employees having been laid off. Canadian companies do not respond/react well to receiving CVs and much prefer face-to-face meeting, so perhaps you'd have better luck/reception if you came over on a Recce and tried to meet some prospective employers.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Hey and thanks for the reply. I had no idea that there were problems in Alberta, interesting to know. The drilling I do is more for piling in foundations for construction. I've read there is many company's about in Canada which is reassuring. I think your rite about possibly coming over to Canada and see if any possible employers would want to see me.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I didn't fully u'stand your occupation. When I hear driller I (dumber than shit) obviously think of oil. I learned something and much Good Luck.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Joe, when are you are 31 and do you have any other citizenships? (Irish, for example).

If you're not 31 until next year, you could get yourself in the IEC pool when it opens for the 2018 season later in the year and see if you got an invitation to apply for 2 year open work permit:

Find out if you’re eligible – International Experience Canada

If you are invited before turning 31, you're good; if not, that's unfortunate. For Irish citizens, the age is under 36.
Old Jun 18th 2017, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the reply. I turn 31 on th 30th of July, I've applied for a working visa and I'm currently in the pools, have been since this years one opened. Don't think they will pick mine before I turn 31.

I think I may have to go over to Canada and scope potential employment. Hopefully speak to some companies and see if they will see me. Failing that try and apply through express entry. There's too many options and that are all confusing!
Old Jun 19th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigred01
Hey and thanks for the reply. I had no idea that there were problems in Alberta, interesting to know. The drilling I do is more for piling in foundations for construction. I've read there is many company's about in Canada which is reassuring. I think your rite about possibly coming over to Canada and see if any possible employers would want to see me.

Thanks again.
BC is likely to be a better fit for piling work. The city has a lot of high rises going up, and the city is about to make moves to densify previously single family home neighborhoods and that is going to mean even more condo units. In addition, the high seismic risk and lots of alluvial sediments here in the BC lower mainland means most buildings taller than 3 or 4 stories are going to need some sort of piling, most likely end bearing on bedrock.

As others have said getting a job in Canada is hard without actually having permission to work especially in the construction trade. Face-to-face is usually the way it is done.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
BC is likely to be a better fit for piling work. The city has a lot of high rises going up, and the city is about to make moves to densify previously single family home neighborhoods and that is going to mean even more condo units. In addition, the high seismic risk and lots of alluvial sediments here in the BC lower mainland means most buildings taller than 3 or 4 stories are going to need some sort of piling, most likely end bearing on bedrock.

As others have said getting a job in Canada is hard without actually having permission to work especially in the construction trade. Face-to-face is usually the way it is done.
Hi and thank you for replying to me. I've been looking and it seems to be a lot of drilling/piling works going on in BC which is where initially wanted to go. Defiantly seems more appealing with this work going.

Would you suggest i speak to some piling contractors in BC and tell them I'm coming over and see if they would want to meet? And potentially see if they would sponsor a uk worker then apply for a work permit?

Thanks for your input.