Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No longer happy

No longer happy

Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No longer happy

Originally Posted by Shard
My point was that UK tax is not 50% as stated up thread .
But up the thread referenced was referring to sales taxes and the environmental levy (embedded taxes) plus income taxes.
How does the UK compare when you add VAT and other embedded taxes as Aviator states?

Last edited by Steve_P; Aug 10th 2013 at 11:11 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I was using the word most a bit loosely (as in most higher-earners)
Ah, gottit. Apologies.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:16 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Certainly seems to be where most Canadians go! When they not visiting Kelowna or Wasaga Beach, that is!
There's what approximately 35 million Canadians and you're saying "most" go to Mexico and other resort places south, Kelowna or wasaga Baech.

That's a bit of an overstatement if ever there was one.

Not unusual for this forum, sadly.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 11:19 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
But up the thread referenced was referring to sales taxes and the environmental levy (embedded taxes) plus income taxes.
How does the UK compare when you add VAT and other embedded taxes as Aviator states?
VAT at 20% is higher, obviously. I've already stated that UK fuel duties are higher (hence double the price of petrol). It's really only the assertion that UK tax is 50% that I quibble on. I took it to mean personal income tax. It was 50% (at highest band) for a few weeks, but is no more. I don't think the argument that you get significantly overtaxed in Britain compared to BC is watertight. As BristolUK had noted, most people in Britain pay 20% Income tax or less.

Last edited by Shard; Aug 10th 2013 at 11:23 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 1:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Also, I find it better living here because wherever you travel, people generally speak English.

I suppose I should have explained that the daughter speaks foreign. Her partner speaks another kind of foreign. They're game to visit places where an nth kind of foreign is spoken. Me too, as it goes.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There's what approximately 35 million Canadians and you're saying "most" go to Mexico and other resort places south, Kelowna or wasaga Baech.

It's not unfair though, surely. Canadians who can afford a cottage go there, those who can't go to a packaged holiday resort. It's very rare to meet a Canadian who's gone anywhere that it was necessary to order food in a foreign language.

Understand that I don't mean that as a knock against Canada or Canadians. The fact that nothing happens in Canada and that Canadians don't do very much is the essence of the appeal of the country, among those to whom it appeals.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 11th 2013 at 1:35 am.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 1:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Gives a good idea where Canadians travel, if anyone is interested.

http://www.flightnetwork.com/blog/wh...s-travel-most/

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 11th 2013 at 1:59 am. Reason: forgot to add link
Old Aug 11th 2013, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Who crapped in your cornflakes?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
The UK has a 50% income tax bracket and charges 20% VAT on Goods and on prepared meals out.

B.C. has some of the lowest personal taxes in Canada (believe it or not).

The only taxes I don't like here are the ones on fuel, but that's still lower than England.
They dropped it now to 45%. When they did so there was uproar about he "same old Tories" even though the 50p rate had not raised any revenue as it put us on the wrong side of the laffer curve.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I suppose I should have explained that the daughter speaks foreign. Her partner speaks another kind of foreign. They're game to visit places where an nth kind of foreign is spoken. Me too, as it goes.
But have you been to Syria?
Old Aug 11th 2013, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

As a young person, I've certainly realised Canada isn't where I want to be at this moment in time. It is a cracking country though and I'm moving to Montreal in January for a University exchange - hopefully I find that more to my tastes.

Calgary, despite having some brilliant hiking and scenery surrounding it, is a pretty piss poor place to live (for someone in their early 20s) compared to the West End of Glasgow where I lived before. In saying that, I'm sure it would be great if I was middle aged.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

lottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond repute

That is rather a simplistic and silly comment. With all of north america to see, you consider Canadian holidays as only to commercial resort in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

How very very sad. Perhaps you'd like Canada more if you chose to see more of it.
Sorry, I was more or less referring to going abroad when you live in Canada. I've been to Vancouver and driven through the mountains in Calgary, both of which I found quite lovely, particularly the mountains. But with regards to camping, and so on, I REALLY don't like that sort of thing, particularly in places deep in the wilderness... Just my own personal preference! x
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
But have you been to Syria?
I'm, more or less, in Damascus.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm, more or less, in Damascus.
I've been. It was beautiful 4 years ago.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 7:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

VAT at 20% is higher, obviously. I've already stated that UK fuel duties are higher (hence double the price of petrol). It's really only the assertion that UK tax is 50% that I quibble on. I took it to mean personal income tax. It was 50% (at highest band) for a few weeks, but is no more. I don't think the argument that you get significantly overtaxed in Britain compared to BC is watertight. As BristolUK had noted, most people in Britain pay 20% Income tax or less.
Plus VAT isn't payable on everything, so although 20% is higher than sales tax in Canada, at least we don't have to pay it on things like children's clothing, basic food items, books etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.