Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No longer happy

No longer happy

Old Aug 9th 2013, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No longer happy

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I agree that visiting and living are two completely different things - though most importantly, it really depends on the person. A lot of people don't care about political issues, or CCTV watching them every moment, or being taxed to death. These were things that really bothered me in England, but I can understand other people not really caring about it. I also think it's true that the country you were born or grew up in is not necessarily the place you are best suited to.
And so you moved to B.C. You'll have to explain that one to me
Old Aug 9th 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
being taxed to death.
And so you moved to B.C. You'll have to explain that one to me
The UK has a 50% income tax bracket and charges 20% VAT on Goods and on prepared meals out.

B.C. has some of the lowest personal taxes in Canada (believe it or not).

The only taxes I don't like here are the ones on fuel, but that's still lower than England.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:01 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Easy to say from the perspective of us that are 18+++. It must also complicate things for the OP with one parent happily emigrated to Canada and the other back in Blighty.
It is easy to say, and it should be easy for an 18 year old with dual nationality to do. My friends kids are all over the place, heck one even came to Canada. There's no need to be worried about whether or not it's the right thing to do, she's young. Just do it and see where life takes you. You can be too sensible too young.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:23 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
It is easy to say, and it should be easy for an 18 year old with dual nationality to do. My friends kids are all over the place, heck one even came to Canada. There's no need to be worried about whether or not it's the right thing to do, she's young. Just do it and see where life takes you. You can be too sensible too young.
Yes I agree on getting out there, I was certainly adventurous at a young age, and would encourage it. However everyone's temperament and situation is different, and I wouldn't say it's always easy to do.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

lottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that visiting and living are two completely different things - though most importantly, it really depends on the person. A lot of people don't care about political issues, or CCTV watching them every moment, or being taxed to death. These were things that really bothered me in England, but I can understand other people not really caring about it. I also think it's true that the country you were born or grew up in is not necessarily the place you are best suited to.

I agree that it shouldn't all be about affordable accommodation or your salary when immigrating, it should be about following a dream. Heck, Vancouver is one of the worst places in the world for those two things, and I am very happy living here.

If it had turned out to be a bad decision coming to Canada, I could have gone home, I didn't bring all my possessions with me, and I had family in England. I think the idea of a 1-2 year working holiday that people have suggested is a great idea.

I actually met a mother one time who was British and immigrated with her kids, they also loved England and wanted to live there every time they visited.

To the OP - I'm curious what part of England you would be moving to if you did want to go back.
I would probably move back to Yorkshire, where I'm from, originally. However, if I were to meet a potential partner while there who lives in a different part of the country, I can see myself being more than happy to live elsewhere in the UK. xx
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

lottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond repute

Easy to say from the perspective of us that are 18+++. It must also complicate things for the OP with one parent happily emigrated to Canada and the other back in Blighty.
As I've gotten older I've started to think more about how my dad back in England must have felt and still is feeling - although I understand and agree that my mums marriage to him wasn't for the best, my dad was still a big part of my life when I lived there. In a way I see it must feel unfair to him that my mum brought my sister and I to an entirely different country, so we only get to see our dad when we go back to visit.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
My daughter, the one who emigrated to London, loves it because the opportunity to go abroad presents itself every weekend.
I agree! I used to go on a fair amount of holidays when I was little. We went to Paris, Greece, Spain. I was a bit older when I went to Greece and remember it quite well; it was lovely. I'm far more interested in travelling and seeing Europe, Canadian holidays usually are to over-commercialized resorts in Mexico and Dominican Republic, not really my cup of tea. It would be cheaper to get flights to Europe from Blighty, anyway. x
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lottie95
As I've gotten older I've started to think more about how my dad back in England must have felt and still is feeling - although I understand and agree that my mums marriage to him wasn't for the best, my dad was still a big part of my life when I lived there. In a way I see it must feel unfair to him that my mum brought my sister and I to an entirely different country, so we only get to see our dad when we go back to visit.
I think whether it's across the street or across an ocean a family break up is hard on all the members.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:39 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The UK has a 50% income tax bracket and charges 20% VAT on Goods and on prepared meals out.

B.C. has some of the lowest personal taxes in Canada (believe it or not).

The only taxes I don't like here are the ones on fuel, but that's still lower than England.
Then the PST, which hits us all, now the HST has gone and we'll find it being built into pricing as an embeded tax from producers, then we pay PST again at Point of Sale.

The new recycling levy that is coming to all producers for 2014, which will end up as an environmental fee or embedded in price, so we don't see. On the surface we may look as though taxes are low, but added up, we get hit with closer to 50% tax on income when all said and done.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:53 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Aviator
Then the PST, which hits us all, now the HST has gone and we'll find it being built into pricing as an embeded tax from producers, then we pay PST again at Point of Sale.

The new recycling levy that is coming to all producers for 2014, which will end up as an environmental fee or embedded in price, so we don't see. On the surface we may look as though taxes are low, but added up, we get hit with closer to 50% tax on income when all said and done.
UK top rate currently 45% (over £150K)
but for most people 40% (over 32K)
(20% below 32K)
so broadly similar to BC.

Not quite so competitive on fuel duty, however.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 8:57 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lottie95
Canadian holidays usually are to over-commercialized resorts in Mexico and Dominican Republic, not really my cup of tea.
That is rather a simplistic and silly comment. With all of north america to see, you consider Canadian holidays as only to commercial resort in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

How very very sad. Perhaps you'd like Canada more if you chose to see more of it.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That is rather a simplistic and silly comment. With all of north america to see, you consider Canadian holidays as only to commercial resort in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

How very very sad. Perhaps you'd like Canada more if you chose to see more of it.
Certainly seems to be where most Canadians go! When they not visiting Kelowna or Wasaga Beach, that is!
Old Aug 10th 2013, 9:30 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Certainly seems to be where most Canadians go! When they not visiting Kelowna or Wasaga Beach, that is!
Plenty simply go camping. Then there's the entire USA.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

UK top rate currently 45% (over £150K)
but for most people 40% (over 32K)
Most?
It's always hard to find conclusive information on this sort of thing. Even "average" is a bit meaningless when distorted by so many high earners, but some figures I have seen over the years suggest most people do not earn anything close to what many believe.

I remember reading when average earnings were being reported as about £25k that most people were on less than £20k for example.

A few months ago in the guardian there was reference to low and middle earners - which sounds like the majority to me - needing pay rises above inflation for several years to hit something like £26k.

So...I was just googling on this 40%/£32k and in all the newspaper sites I found references to it (Mail, Telegraph, Independent) and other agencies, the highest figure I can find for UK taxpayers earning above the £32k is just under 4m.

Not sure of the size of the UK workforce but I'm fairly sure that 4m is a long way from being most of them.
Old Aug 10th 2013, 10:58 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Most?
It's always hard to find conclusive information on this sort of thing. Even "average" is a bit meaningless when distorted by so many high earners, but some figures I have seen over the years suggest most people do not earn anything close to what many believe.

I remember reading when average earnings were being reported as about £25k that most people were on less than £20k for example.

A few months ago in the guardian there was reference to low and middle earners - which sounds like the majority to me - needing pay rises above inflation for several years to hit something like £26k.

So...I was just googling on this 40%/£32k and in all the newspaper sites I found references to it (Mail, Telegraph, Independent) and other agencies, the highest figure I can find for UK taxpayers earning above the £32k is just under 4m.

Not sure of the size of the UK workforce but I'm fairly sure that 4m is a long way from being most of them.

Yes, I was using the word most a bit loosely (as in most higher-earners), I think your average figure of 26K is about right. There is a percentile chart on BBC somewhere.

My point was that UK tax is not 50% as stated up thread .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.