Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Czar Harper tightens grip on party.

Czar Harper tightens grip on party.

Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:57 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Czar Harper tightens grip on party.

Harper stacks deck against challenger to Tory deadbeat

CALGARY - Got the political itch? Well, scratch the Conservatives.
They've secretly approved an accelerated process for selecting candidates that gives party headquarters new powers to protect current MPs from those who dare to want their job. Outsiders need not apply unless they can somehow mobilize a challenge on barely one week's notice.

Under the new rules, introduced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and rubber-stamped in private at last week's Conservative caucus retreat, local ridings will no longer have the power to set nomination dates or be responsible for notifying the party membership.

The unwritten bylaw of Bytown: Fall in line or fall out of favour

By way of illustration, on a recent trip, the Prime Minister was asked by a flight attendant to turn off his cellphone and BlackBerry. Mr. Harper declined. The pilot then made a request, saying it was for safety purposes. The PM relented. But, at the end of the journey, one of his staffers gave the pilot some news: His services would no longer be required on prime ministerial trips.

The aviator should have known that this is the new Ottawa. In Harpertown, you fall in line or fall from favour.

My opinion. It's only going to get worse.:scared::scared:
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:03 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czar Harper tightens grip on party.

Originally Posted by Hangman

They've secretly approved an accelerated process for selecting candidates that gives party headquarters new powers to protect current MPs from those who dare to want their job. Outsiders need not apply unless they can somehow mobilize a challenge on barely one week's notice.

Under the new rules, introduced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and rubber-stamped in private at last week's Conservative caucus retreat, local ridings will no longer have the power to set nomination dates or be responsible for notifying the party membership.

The unwritten bylaw of Bytown: Fall in line or fall out of favour

By way of illustration, on a recent trip, the Prime Minister was asked by a flight attendant to turn off his cellphone and BlackBerry. Mr. Harper declined. The pilot then made a request, saying it was for safety purposes. The PM relented. But, at the end of the journey, one of his staffers gave the pilot some news: His services would no longer be required on prime ministerial trips.

The aviator should have known that this is the new Ottawa. In Harpertown, you fall in line or fall from favour.

My opinion. It's only going to get worse.:scared::scared:
fantastic, just when i thought i was getting away from one egotistical power crazed fanatic, i find i'm getting another one, or is it naive of me to think that politicians will be any better wherever you go.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
fantastic, just when i thought i was getting away from one egotistical power crazed fanatic, i find i'm getting another one, or is it naive of me to think that politicians will be any better wherever you go.
Politicians in Canada at both provincial and federal level are every bit as much if not more corrupt, egotistical, incompetent and downright stupid than in the UK. (I do generalise here a bit). One irony is the the neo-con posterboy now running Canada is not as far up George Dubbyah's nether regions than the good Mr Bliar.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

They've secretly approved an accelerated process for selecting candidates that gives party headquarters new powers to protect current MPs from those who dare to want their job.
The Liberals did the same thing until Paul Martin changed the party policy in 2004. Then he decided he wanted to select candidates for some ridings to give them a better chance of going Liberal, so said to hell with my new rules and appointed them anyway. As many on here say, same s**t, different bucket.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:04 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnyaT
The Liberals did the same thing until Paul Martin changed the party policy in 2004. Then he decided he wanted to select candidates for some ridings to give them a better chance of going Liberal, so said to hell with my new rules and appointed them anyway. As many on here say, same s**t, different bucket.
I tend to agree with you, but and it's a big but, Mr Harper and his Conservative cronies campaigned on the platform of open and transparent government.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to agree with you, but and it's a big but, Mr Harper and his Conservative cronies campaigned on the platform of open and transparent government.
Yes, but no one had cause to believe him. Harper had a squalid history of betraying politicians who were conservative but not Bushites. Anyone remember David Orchard ? How about Peter Mackay, Harper lied to him publicly and directly, no one has cause to think Harper reputable even by the dismal standards of Canadian politicians.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:18 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Canadians didn't so much vote Harper in, as much as they voted the Liberals out due to corruption in the Quebec wing of the party. People basically felt that the Liberals had to be sanctioned.

If the Liberals can only get their act together in time, Harper might not be around for all of 2007.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Canadians didn't so much vote Harper in, as much as they voted the Liberals out due to corruption in the Quebec wing of the party. People basically felt that the Liberals had to be sanctioned.

If the Liberals can only get their act together in time, Harper might not be around for all of 2007.
I agree with you there. Where I suspect we disagree is that I think the Liberal's best shot is to get behind Belinda; a charismatic person to the right of the party . If they run a wishy-washy left of party person I think Harper and Layton will take their votes.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Stuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond reputeStuarty has a reputation beyond repute

Come on guys, stop it, you are scaring those of us not yet in Canada :scared:
No way we can go to a country that actually believes a blind word any politician says
Stuarty