Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NHS pension transfer question.

NHS pension transfer question.

Old Aug 21st 2015, 4:21 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default NHS pension transfer question.

So I think we probably dropped the ball on the pension front and I've read endless boringly dry newspaper/pension websites and still feel no nearer to knowing the answer. I suspect it's deliberately confusing as all the previous changes have been!

I imagine (although not certain) we should have transferred our NHS pension out to QROPS and I was wondering if there is any provision in the new terms and conditions that allow for NHS pension holders who have already left the country? Some sort of grandfathering clause that allows us to still move it?

What are the ramifications of leaving the NHS pension or any other pension contributions to the future? I feel like we're almost writing these pensions off as I'm unsure that they will be of any value in the future. Given that we are both members of the scheme it feels a little worrying to have "start again" on the pension front.

*Stinkypup- I can almost hear what you're going to say ... echoing our accountant but I do want to know about our old pensions too *
Old Aug 21st 2015, 4:28 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS pension transfer question.

Hmm I don't even know how I have managed to post this twice!!! Can a mod delete one please??

Thank you Christmasoompa
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
So I think we probably dropped the ball on the pension front and I've read endless boringly dry newspaper/pension websites and still feel no nearer to knowing the answer. I suspect it's deliberately confusing as all the previous changes have been!

I imagine (although not certain) we should have transferred our NHS pension out to QROPS and I was wondering if there is any provision in the new terms and conditions that allow for NHS pension holders who have already left the country? Some sort of grandfathering clause that allows us to still move it?

What are the ramifications of leaving the NHS pension or any other pension contributions to the future? I feel like we're almost writing these pensions off as I'm unsure that they will be of any value in the future. Given that we are both members of the scheme it feels a little worrying to have "start again" on the pension front.

*Stinkypup- I can almost hear what you're going to say ... echoing our accountant but I do want to know about our old pensions too *
Hi Tirytory,

Unfortunately the UK changed pension rules as from April of this year and you can now no longer transfer out of the NHS pension scheme.

Even though you reside in Canada you will have to keep your pension deferred in the NHS until normal retirement, at which time you will then receive your pension income in GBP.

If you still reside in Canada at that time ( which sounds like your intention ) you will then have to convert that income monthly into $ CAD if you wish to receive your income on a monthly basis.....................obviously not ideal.

Secondly as a deferred member of the NHS scheme, the Conservative government reduced the rate that this pension will grow until retirement when they got into power. Up until 1 April 2011 increases were linked to changes in the Retail Prices Index (RPI) from September to September with the increase being applied on the first Monday in April (which falls on or after 6 April) of the following year.

From 1 April 2011 the increases have been linked to changes in the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) from September to September with the increase being applied on the first Monday in April (which falls on or after 6 April) of the following year.

Historically CPI is generally around 0.5% - 1% lower than RPI so therefore this has reduced the growth on your pension and increased the savings for the government.

As discussed earlier other ramifications are receiving your pension income for the rest of your life in a different currency and the fluctuations on your income that this could produce into your retirement.

There are no provisions in the new terms and conditions that allow for NHS pension holders who have already left the country to transfer the pension out and there is no grandfathering clause that will still allow you to move it?
Old Aug 21st 2015, 9:01 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by mjwalker007
Hi Tirytory,

Unfortunately the UK changed pension rules as from April of this year and you can now no longer transfer out of the NHS pension scheme.

Even though you reside in Canada you will have to keep your pension deferred in the NHS until normal retirement, at which time you will then receive your pension income in GBP.

If you still reside in Canada at that time ( which sounds like your intention ) you will then have to convert that income monthly into $ CAD if you wish to receive your income on a monthly basis.....................obviously not ideal.

Secondly as a deferred member of the NHS scheme, the Conservative government reduced the rate that this pension will grow until retirement when they got into power. Up until 1 April 2011 increases were linked to changes in the Retail Prices Index (RPI) from September to September with the increase being applied on the first Monday in April (which falls on or after 6 April) of the following year.

From 1 April 2011 the increases have been linked to changes in the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) from September to September with the increase being applied on the first Monday in April (which falls on or after 6 April) of the following year.

Historically CPI is generally around 0.5% - 1% lower than RPI so therefore this has reduced the growth on your pension and increased the savings for the government.

As discussed earlier other ramifications are receiving your pension income for the rest of your life in a different currency and the fluctuations on your income that this could produce into your retirement.

There are no provisions in the new terms and conditions that allow for NHS pension holders who have already left the country to transfer the pension out and there is no grandfathering clause that will still allow you to move it?
Thank you for replying!

Boo! As I feared... I think we're going to get projections but assume that they are pretty worthless or that we were starting afresh on the pension front. Ho hum..
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 12:10 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Snoopdawg is actually the financial guru of the kennel but even she couldn't have summarised it better than MJW007 though she might deny this!
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 1:13 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Snoopdawg is actually the financial guru of the kennel but even she couldn't have summarised it better than MJW007 though she might dispute that comment!
You transferred out in time?
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 1:43 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Snoop is quite an organised little puppy although stock markets are a tad stormy St the moment (understatement of.... er August)
Old Aug 30th 2015, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

My wife and i both have NHS and private uk pension's, early August when in the UK on a visit we spoke to the NHS pensions and was told you could not transfer a NHS pension out of the UK but you can transfer to a private UK pension.

Looking at the UK Government pension website it says you can still transfer a UK pension to Canada as long as the new Canadian scheme is approved by the UK Governments pensions dept,

The following links tell you about transferring a Pension out of the country.

https://www.gov.uk/transferring-your...pension-scheme

And this link tells you the approved schemes in each country as of 17th August 2015.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-schemes-qrops

Hope this helps

Last edited by Nikki Ian; Aug 30th 2015 at 6:25 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nikki Ian
My wife and i both have NHS and private uk pension's, early August when in the UK on a visit we spoke to the NHS pensions and was told you could not transfer a NHS pension out of the UK but you can transfer to a private UK pension.

Looking at the UK Government pension website it says you can still transfer a UK pension to Canada as long as the new Canadian scheme is approved by the UK Governments pensions dept,

The following links tell you about transferring a Pension out of the country.

https://www.gov.uk/transferring-your...pension-scheme

And this link tells you the approved schemes in each country as of 17th August 2015.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-schemes-qrops

Hope this helps
We're you told you're able to transfer your private pensions out of the UK?