Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NEXUS for PR - how useful is it?

NEXUS for PR - how useful is it?

Old Jul 3rd 2015, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default NEXUS for PR - how useful is it?

I'm a PR of Canada with a VWP-eligible passport. So every time I visit the US via a land border, I have to queue in my car to reach the booths, then go to secondary and queue again to pay the $6 VWP fee and get the I-94W stapled in my passport...

Would getting a NEXUS card speed this up? I'd still have to queue to pay the $6 and get the I-94W, right ?!
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXUS for PR - how useful is it?

Another thought: what about the Whirlpool Bridge, it's NEXUS only so there is no wait... But can I get an I-94W there?
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Its handy in so much as you have been vetted by both Canadian and the US authorities and are considered a trusted traveller with low risk if holding a NEXUS card.
As far as Im aware you can get the I94 waiver at all entry points now.
Is it worth it Yes.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks FL
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely worth it if you go back and to the U.S. quite a bit. If you use the Whirlpool Bridge there is almost no queue to cross. Also very handy when flying in or out of Canada or the U.S.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Jerseygirl but that's from the point of view of a US/Cdn citizen? I wonder if Nexus really improves things when you need to visit secondary each and every time for the I-94W?
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Thanks Jerseygirl but that's from the point of view of a US/Cdn citizen? I wonder if Nexus really improves things when you need to visit secondary each and every time for the I-94W?
No it won't its usually 1st come 1st served but having that NEXUS card might alleviate any suspicions the US have about why you would be visiting the USA.
They will probably be less inclined to run you through various data bases as you have already been vetted.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 11:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
I am a UK/US citizen....in Canada on the Super Visa.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 12:03 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Is the NEXUS (I always think of bladerunner when talking about this ) of use for a Canadian citizen, with a Canadian passport who could be making frequent trips into the US? curious as my girlfriend is American, and thus there will be trips to visit her family and friends there.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 12:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sharkus
Is the NEXUS (I always think of bladerunner when talking about this ) of use for a Canadian citizen, with a Canadian passport who could be making frequent trips into the US? curious as my girlfriend is American, and thus there will be trips to visit her family and friends there.
Americans and Canadians can apply for NEXUS. It makes entering and leaving either country a breeze. I used it recently when leaving Pearson for the UK...same on entering Canada.

Being in Toronto we use the Whirlpool Bridge road crossing when going to and from the U.S. Usually there are only a couple of cars there...max we have seen is about 10...but the queue moves very quickly because everyone has been prescreened.

Two things to bear in mind...if traveling by car...everyone in the vehicle must have NEXUS passes. You are held to a higher standard than non NEXUS users when it come to declaring goods...so make sure you declare everything.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 1:18 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Americans and Canadians can apply for NEXUS. It makes entering and leaving either country a breeze. I used it recently when leaving Pearson for the UK...same on entering Canada.

Being in Toronto we use the Whirlpool Bridge road crossing when going to and from the U.S. Usually there are only a couple of cars there...max we have seen is about 10...but the queue moves very quickly because everyone has been prescreened.

Two things to bear in mind...if traveling by car...everyone in the vehicle must have NEXUS passes. You are held to a higher standard than non NEXUS users when it come to declaring goods...so make sure you declare everything.
Thanks for the info, especially the travelling by car bit, as that would be how we'd go into the US, and she doesn't have a nexus card.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sharkus
Thanks for the info, especially the travelling by car bit, as that would be how we'd go into the US, and she doesn't have a nexus card.
I don't know if things have changed because this was a year ago... NEXUS booths at Lewiston were only open at peak times. Whirlpool is the way to go. Sometimes we've had a 2+ hr wait at Lewiston when crossing into the U.S....therefore NEXUS is definitely worth it