Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nexus and ESTA

Nexus and ESTA

Old Nov 18th 2014, 11:16 pm
RHC
Forum Regular

RHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really niceRHC is just really nice
Default Re: Nexus and ESTA

Originally Posted by Steve_
No, because NEXUS/SENTRI is a separate system and they don't look at it unless you use the RFID reader at the POE, or a GE machine.

Like I think I said earlier in this thread, the software has got some bugs in it, I had a chat with CBSA about it, they cannot for example change the issuing authority for your passport. So if you have a GOES record, it will say IPS issued your passport for example - and that cannot be changed, even when you get a Canadian passport.
Thanks Steve_! It's a relief to know that my rejection shouldn't cause any problems! The next time I can apply for Nexus, it might be worhtwhile me waiting and applying as a Canadian Citizen...unless they change the wait time for Citizenship from 3 to 4 years...
Old Nov 19th 2014, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

a18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond reputea18ion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
No, because NEXUS/SENTRI is a separate system and they don't look at it unless you use the RFID reader at the POE, or a GE machine.

Like I think I said earlier in this thread, the software has got some bugs in it, I had a chat with CBSA about it, they cannot for example change the issuing authority for your passport. So if you have a GOES record, it will say IPS issued your passport for example - and that cannot be changed, even when you get a Canadian passport.
Is the inability to change the issuing authority the same even in person at a Nexus/Goes capable office? We renewed our CAN passport and so were able to update the expiry date online, but not the issuing authority (changed from London to Gatineau). I wondered whether it was worth going in to LAX to fix at their office, but if it's a fundamental bug, maybe a waste of time. We've used the GE passport scanners since with no query about the mismatch in issuing office.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 1:22 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It's etched in stone, I was told. I've already been to the NEXUS office in person and they confirmed what CBSA told me on the phone. Some fields just cannot be edited, the option doesn't exist anywhere in their system, the developer apparently just decided those fields weren't important.

Perhaps FL knows more about it as he said he works in the NEXUS office.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Heres what I know about NEXUS
1. The liquor store is only about a 20 yard walk from the NEXUS office and my idea of a double double is 2 x shots of rum and 2 x shots of Baileys in my coffee.
2. Far too many are applying for the card and not using it for its intended purpose. Flying from Vancouver to Toronto isnt what NEXUS was designed for but travellers have clicked on that if you show the NEXUS card to security you end up in a shorter security line on domestic flights.
3. I get too many phone calls mainly from seniors stating they want to book an interview for NEXUS rather than scheduling their appointment via the GOES website which most members apply on.
4. If flying to the USA from an airport in Canada that has USCBP pre clearance you can insert the NEXUS card into the blue Global Entry kiosks and they work. No need for a passport.
5. Passports must be used if using Global Entry kiosks if no US pre clearance.
6. CANPASS Air cards cant be used with the new NEXUS kiosks.
7. The GOES website has a FAQ in the top right hand corner which answers most questions (hint quit phoning me )
A passport already registered in GOES can be updated according to this

Can I update my passport/lawful permanent resident card information in GOES?

Yes, you can update any passport or U.S. lawful permanent resident card that is in GOES. If the document information is not already in GOES, you must go to a trusted traveler enrollment center to add that information
https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/common/...q_cardholder_9

8. I am doing enrolments every 15 minutes I cant afford to be spending 10 minutes on the phone explaining what NEXUS is read the NEXUS website.
9. If you can use an ATM then a NEXUS/GLOBAL Entry kiosk should be easy but dont expect to withdraw money from them.
10. I have no idea about the software I only know what I can change in my system and the issuing office is not in my system. The USCBP have their own system as well. Both CBSA and CBP are linked to the GOES website.
11. The NEXUS cards are issued in the USA so I have no idea how long they will take to get to your mailing address.
12. Sorry ladies we dont have hair dryers, curlers or brushes or make up when we take your photo for the card.
13. I dont care how sweet you think your little Jasmine or Brad is if they are small they wont have their Iris scanned so they cant use the NEXUS kiosks.
14. Read the conditional approval letter in your GOES inbox as it clearly states PRINT OFF THIS LETTER and take to the enrolment centre for your interview. READ THE DAMN LETTER.
15. NO your NEXUS card wont get you through UK Customs any faster.
16. GLOBAL Entry is NOT the same as NEXUS.
17. NEXUS includes TSA PRE, and GLOBAL Entry so dont pay the extra $185 for those programmes just pay the $50 and join NEXUS.
18. I take cream and 2 x sugars in my coffee.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 7:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes, you can update any passport or U.S. lawful permanent resident card that is in GOES.
Well no-one can update the issuing authority for the passport, been told that by CBSA on the phone and also at the NEXUS office at YYC. On the phone the woman I was talking to said there were various problems with the software but she didn't enlighten me further.

Unless they've fixed it recently.

Far too many are applying for the card and not using it for its intended purpose. Flying from Vancouver to Toronto isnt what NEXUS was designed for but travellers have clicked on that if you show the NEXUS card to security you end up in a shorter security line on domestic flights.
Such a relief though to be able to do that.

I dont care how sweet you think your little Jasmine or Brad is if they are small they wont have their Iris scanned so they cant use the NEXUS kiosks.
Can you wear contact lenses? CBSA said I couldn't but the CBP inspector gave the CBSA inspector a strange look when she said that so I'm not sure if she was right.

Last edited by Steve_; Nov 26th 2014 at 7:32 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

To get the clearest iris photo during enrolment, you must remove your eyewear (prescription glasses and contacts, as well as sunglasses and coloured or patterned contacts). At passage, you do not need to remove your prescription glasses or contacts, but you do need to remove sunglasses and patterned contacts.

So the short answer yes you can wear contacts or glasses but NOT for the initial iris scan.