Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nexus and ESTA

Nexus and ESTA

Old Jun 23rd 2014, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nexus and ESTA

Hiya - Happy Monday.

Quick question, I am a Brit, landed PR and now a Citizen of Canada , I also have a NEXUS card too.

Now, I know I don't need to have an ESTA if I travel to the USA from Canada, if I am travelling with my Canadian passport, but if for some reason I only had my UK passport with me and my NEXUS card, do I still need an ESTA?

I have searched the NEXUS and ESTA sites and I can't find the answer.

Any ideas? And thanks in advance.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 12:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nexus and ESTA

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
Hiya - Happy Monday.

Quick question, I am a Brit, landed PR and now a Citizen of Canada , I also have a NEXUS card too.

Now, I know I don't need to have an ESTA if I travel to the USA from Canada, if I am travelling with my Canadian passport, but if for some reason I only had my UK passport with me and my NEXUS card, do I still need an ESTA?

You don't need a PP to cross the US/Canadian border...just the NEXUS card.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya - Happy Monday.

Short answer Yes if travelling on the UK passport as the US Global Entry System now requires a passport when travelling by Air. NEXUS is now linked the the GOES system. Keep it simple travel with the Canadian passport and NEXUS card.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Short answer Yes if travelling on the UK passport as the US Global Entry System now requires a passport when travelling by Air. NEXUS is now linked the the GOES system. Keep it simple travel with the Canadian passport and NEXUS card.

A couple of months ago the US and Cdn officers working the NEXUS desk at Pearson...said to enter the US or Canada by air, road etc...we only need our NEXUS cards. Or is that because we are USC's?
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
A couple of months ago the US and Cdn officers working the NEXUS desk at Pearson...said to enter the US or Canada by air, road etc...we only need our NEXUS cards. Or is that because we are USC's?
Because you are USCs. As PRs can also get NEXUS cards they still have to meet the requirements of entry of their country of citizenship of which some may require a visa.
I was working in the NEXUS office today and the USCBP officer is now stating that the NEXUS machines in US Pre Clearance at Canadian airports have now been removed and replaced by the Global Entry Kiosks as NEXUS now includes membership into the GOES and if using one of these machines you have to scan the bio data page of your passport. If entering Canada there is only the NEXUS machines or the ABC machines.
Thank the Americans for any new confusion
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Because you are USCs. As PRs can also get NEXUS cards they still have to meet the requirements of entry of their country of citizenship of which some may require a visa.
I was working in the NEXUS office today and the USCBP officer is now stating that the NEXUS machines in US Pre Clearance at Canadian airports have now been removed and replaced by the Global Entry Kiosks as NEXUS now includes membership into the GOES and if using one of these machines you have to scan the bio data page of your passport. If entering Canada there is only the NEXUS machines or the ABC machines.
We crossed into the US at Lewiston last week...we asked why there wasn't any NEXUS kiosk and the IO just said there wasn't. Don't think there was a GOES kiosk either. At least there was a NEXUS kiosk at the Cdn border...scanned our card before we got to the kiosk and was waved straight through.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:48 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya - Happy Monday.

You don't need the passport at all when dealing with CBP, the only purpose of it when you have a NEXUS card (and are Canadian) is to comply with an IATA rule that requires you to use it to book your ticket and show it at check-in. At land borders you don't need a passport at all if you've got NEXUS unless you're on a bus (as the bus companies also require the same stupid rule when booking a ticket).

HOWEVER - make SURE you have gone to the NEXUS office and shown them your Canadian passport and have your GOES record updated to reflect that you ARE a Canadian citizen. Otherwise you're likely to have problems entering the US as the NEXUS record will pop up when you use your card and it will say you're British, not Canadian. Also get your card reissued so it says "CAN" on the front.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

We crossed into the US at Lewiston last week...we asked why there wasn't any NEXUS kiosk and the IO just said there wasn't. Don't think there was a GOES kiosk either. At least there was a NEXUS kiosk at the Cdn border...scanned our card before we got to the kiosk and was waved straight through.
GOES is the website, Global Entry is what the kiosks are now, on both sides.

I have found at US POEs with no card readers that they sometimes get iffy and ask to see my passport - which I refuse to show them. I didn't come up with this stupid WHTI thing, they did.

Too many stupid entry systems, they can't keep track of them all. I remember at Pacific Highway once the CBP inspector and I got so tongue-tied with acronyms I basically burst out laughing and he thought I'd gone mental (as American bureaucrats rarely have a sense of humour).

"Your NEXUS record says you're from Alberta."

"Yes."

"So the ALPR says this is a rental car?"

"Yes - I didn't know you used ALPR at NEXUS POEs in BC."

"Yes the ALPR is tied into the BC DMV at NEXUS POEs in BC."

Try and keep a straight face when someone says that to you.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

The Canadian crossing at Lewiston still has a NEXUS kiosk...or at least it did 5 days ago.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:05 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

NEXUS now includes membership into the GOES and if using one of these machines you have to scan the bio data page of your passport.
Global Entry, not GOES, that's the website, NEXUS has always been on GOES.

Well that is confusing because my understanding was also that you only need a NEXUS card. US LPRs entering the US need only use their LPR card, so it wouldn't make sense for them to use their Canadian passport, I thought it only worked with US passports.

You have to have your passport anyway at airports because of the IATA rule but it seems a backward step to require it for the GE booth.

I spoke to someone at the NEXUS office a few weeks ago and she told me they're having software issues with GOES and Global Entry, because for example, say you're a Canadian and are naturalized as an American and get an American passport, there's no way in GOES of changing the issuing authority for the passport, so it says you've got an American passport but the issuing authority is a Canadian passport authority which can cause the thing to go weird under some circumstances.

Say you roll up to GE and scan your American passport - does not compute.

Last edited by Steve_; Jun 24th 2014 at 2:11 am.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:06 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

The Canadian crossing at Lewiston still has a NEXUS kiosk...or at least it did 5 days ago.
I'm not sure what the signage is but they're all GE kiosks now, this is a specific make and model of kiosk, apparently. Or will be, according to what they told me.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Canadian POEs are still keeping NEXUS as that is for the US/Canada programme.
Global Entry kiosks are for entering the US from any country in the world.
Canada will also allow you to use the NEXUS kiosks from any country as well.
Canada does not use the Global Entry kiosks hence the confusion
BTW the NEXUS kiosk female voice can be a bit of a bitch at times. Please move forward, move to the right, move to the left and Please step back when scanning your Iris in the Air mode.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Jun 24th 2014 at 2:10 am.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Canadian POEs are still keeping NEXUS as that is for the US/Canada programme.
Global Entry kiosks are for entering the US from any country in the world.
Canada will also allow you to use the NEXUS kiosks from any country as well.
Canada does not use the Global Entry kiosks hence the confusion
What's even more confusing is that there were no Global Entry kiosks at Lewiston entering the US...only the regular ones. The US guy certainly didn't like it when we said we were temporarily living in Canada.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:14 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Yeah sorry you're right, I'm just looking at this e-mail they sent me and it does say GE kiosks in pre-clearance going into the US.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

NEXUS are red kiosks Global Entry are blue. They are just being phased in and new software being installed. Global Entry is instant access a NEXUS card is taking up to 6 weeks to be mailed to you then you have 30 days to activate online.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.