NEXUS card

Old Jun 9th 2016, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXUS card

Originally Posted by Gozit
Another question - on the application form, under "Citizenship" it asks to check all boxes that apply. So, do I check "Canadian" and "Other" and specify Maltese in the other section? Or do I just leave it as Canadian since my Maltese nationality has no bearing on my eligibility for Nexus? Same with the passports, it says "Passport" (2nd if applicable), so wondering if I should give the details of my Maltese passport or not.
i wouldn't bother mentioning Maltese citizenship or other passport.
At your age you could go on your own with the required letter of consent.
Personally I would renew your Canadian passport before you go for the Enrolment interview after applying as depending where you are it might take a few months to get an interview at the larger enrolment centres unless willing to drive or fly to another enrolment centre. You would take the new passport USCBP would scan it and thats it good to go.

There is a reason why Mericans hate me when i worked in the NEXUS enrolment centre. They paid $100 USD for Global Entry and $85 USD for TSA Pre and found out they couldn't use the NEXUS lanes when entering Canada so they paid another $50 USD for NEXUS. I told them had they just paid for NEXUS they would have had Global Entry and TSA Pre thrown in Notice the US don't advertise this little gem but Canada does on the NEXUS link
Travel often? Apply for NEXUS - Official Web site

Don't forget you can also use the ABC kiosks as well when flying back to Canada
Travellers - Automated Border Clearance
Old Jun 9th 2016, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Another question - on the application form, under "Citizenship" it asks to check all boxes that apply. So, do I check "Canadian" and "Other" and specify Maltese in the other section? Or do I just leave it as Canadian since my Maltese nationality has no bearing on my eligibility for Nexus? Same with the passports, it says "Passport" (2nd if applicable), so wondering if I should give the details of my Maltese passport or not.
I think you should.
In our interviews, we were specifically asked about what nationalities we held.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 4:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I thought too. In my post above though I think its just in terms of global entry you may have problems until you scan your new pp with CBP.
Has to be done at the NEXUS office by CBP. Apparently. This assumes you ever use a GE kiosk, you would only do that if you arrive in the US without going through pre-clearance, say you fly in from Kelowna. Not an issue with NEXUS kiosks, you use your card.

Can't say I've ever used one to date.

Yeah but I doubt it actually matters. A CBP inspector told me they asked for other nationalities so they could make sure you hadn't entered on your other passport and their records made sense, but personally I think it's only terribly important if you happen to be a dual US/Canadian citizen. Then it becomes important because obviously you have a right of entry to both countries.

Bear in mind there are various reasons you have to go back to the NEXUS office to get things updated, say you enter the US in a category other than visitor, you have to go back to the NEXUS office and have that added to your NEXUS record.

There is all kinds of guff that goes on with NEXUS. When I first got it I had to provide my vehicle details and CBSA told me I had to use that vehicle when entering on NEXUS. Shortly thereafter (and without telling me) they scrapped that. You only have your vehicle details go in now if you sign up for SENTRI. (And then you used to have to have a sticker in the windshield, then they scrapped that too).

Also had various issues with the issuing authority for passports, bug in the software apparently.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

I have my NEXUS interview on July 7 . How long does it usually take after the interview before I actually get the Nexus card ? will it be instantly after they approve me (hopefully) or is there another wait time involved? Thanks...
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
i wouldn't bother mentioning Maltese citizenship or other passport.
At your age you could go on your own with the required letter of consent.
Personally I would renew your Canadian passport before you go for the Enrolment interview after applying as depending where you are it might take a few months to get an interview at the larger enrolment centres unless willing to drive or fly to another enrolment centre. You would take the new passport USCBP would scan it and thats it good to go.
OK, that is helpful for info purposes... In all likelihood mum will come with me but in the case that she doesn't that is good. With the passport though - it doesn't expire until 14/09/2017. Can I still renew it before the usual 1 year before expiry date? And if I were to renew - over 16 is counted as an "adult passport" , right? (So when it expires I can do expedited renewal)

And it would be OK that I apply for Nexus on my old passport and show up to the interview with a new one?
There is a reason why Mericans hate me when i worked in the NEXUS enrolment centre. They paid $100 USD for Global Entry and $85 USD for TSA Pre and found out they couldn't use the NEXUS lanes when entering Canada so they paid another $50 USD for NEXUS. I told them had they just paid for NEXUS they would have had Global Entry and TSA Pre thrown in Notice the US don't advertise this little gem but Canada does on the NEXUS link
Travel often? Apply for NEXUS - Official Web site

Don't forget you can also use the ABC kiosks as well when flying back to Canada
Travellers - Automated Border Clearance
LOL yeah, Muricans kinda get screwed on that one.
So the ABC kiosks use your NEXUS card, not your passport?

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
I think you should.
In our interviews, we were specifically asked about what nationalities we held.
I think i'm going to, if they are going to ask anyways might as well let them know on the application.

Originally Posted by Steve_
Has to be done at the NEXUS office by CBP. Apparently. This assumes you ever use a GE kiosk, you would only do that if you arrive in the US without going through pre-clearance, say you fly in from Kelowna. Not an issue with NEXUS kiosks, you use your card.

Can't say I've ever used one to date.
Yeah, we'll see. I'm going to apply and think on renewing the passport.

Bear in mind there are various reasons you have to go back to the NEXUS office to get things updated, say you enter the US in a category other than visitor, you have to go back to the NEXUS office and have that added to your NEXUS record.

There is all kinds of guff that goes on with NEXUS. When I first got it I had to provide my vehicle details and CBSA told me I had to use that vehicle when entering on NEXUS. Shortly thereafter (and without telling me) they scrapped that. You only have your vehicle details go in now if you sign up for SENTRI. (And then you used to have to have a sticker in the windshield, then they scrapped that too).

Also had various issues with the issuing authority for passports, bug in the software apparently.
Interesting...Glad the vehicle thing isn't an issue - I don't have a car.

Originally Posted by woodworm
I have my NEXUS interview on July 7 . How long does it usually take after the interview before I actually get the Nexus card ? will it be instantly after they approve me (hopefully) or is there another wait time involved? Thanks...
The website says 2 weeks. Keep us posted on how it goes!
Old Jun 9th 2016, 2:30 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
As Gozit says, two weeks, that is what we were quoted at the interview. That 2 week period for us ends this weekend. No doubt they mean 14 business days.. If we are lucky.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

And it would be OK that I apply for Nexus on my old passport and show up to the interview with a new one?
We applied for my son under one passport and then by the time we got the interview his had been replaced (not just a renewal as he went from a child's passport to an adult one - I am assuming you will do the same, he is almost exactly the same age as you). We just took both passports (the old cancelled one and the new one) to the interview, absolutely no problem whatsoever.

BTW - thanks for this thread, reminded me to update my passport info on the GOES site as I just renewed it.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
We applied for my son under one passport and then by the time we got the interview his had been replaced (not just a renewal as he went from a child's passport to an adult one - I am assuming you will do the same, he is almost exactly the same age as you). We just took both passports (the old cancelled one and the new one) to the interview, absolutely no problem whatsoever.

BTW - thanks for this thread, reminded me to update my passport info on the GOES site as I just renewed it.
Perfect, thank you.

Another question - under employment it wants a 5 year history. For current employment I listed my employer that I have been employed at since Feb. of this year. It wants 5 years back, so for the 5 years back do I say I was a student until being employed at my work? (The issue being, I haven't ceased being a student.)

EDIT - got it, I could just list student as continuous employment along with my job.

Last edited by Gozit; Jun 9th 2016 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect, thank you.

Another question - under employment it wants a 5 year history. For current employment I listed my employer that I have been employed at since Feb. of this year. It wants 5 years back, so for the 5 years back do I say I was a student until being employed at my work? (The issue being, I haven't ceased being a student.)

EDIT - got it, I could just list student as continuous employment along with my job.
I think we just listed Student for him, I don't think they care about part time jobs that High School students have. If you want to put it down though, I don't think it will hurt.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Consent letters - they can just be in a signed format such as

I, [Mum], the parent of [Gozit], consent to his application for a NEXUS card and confirm that there are no custodial limitations to his travel outside of the country

Signed,

<signature>
[Mum]

then the same letter for Dad?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I think we just listed Student for him, I don't think they care about part time jobs that High School students have. If you want to put it down though, I don't think it will hurt.
Yeah thats what I did, then put student from 2003/09 -> current, as well.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Consent letters - they can just be in a signed format such as

I, [Mum], the parent of [Gozit], consent to his application for a NEXUS card and confirm that there are no custodial limitations to his travel outside of the country

Signed,

<signature>
[Mum]

then the same letter for Dad?
Pretty much and I would tell them to put in their contact details as well.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bgpz
It's also good for using priority security lanes at Canadian airports for domestic flights - which has saved me a lot of time and hassle over the years.
This is why I am thinking of applying
I came back from Halifax yesterday and there was a big queue to go through security at the airport. One of my colleagues had Nexus and her card enabled three of us to go in the priority lane which was very useful. Then I saw this thread so I am just now reading it.

S
Old Jun 9th 2016, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Pretty much and I would tell them to put in their contact details as well.
Thanks. Should I bring their marriage cert as well just to prove they are married and thus no custody probs?

Originally Posted by Snowy560
This is why I am thinking of applying
I came back from Halifax yesterday and there was a big queue to go through security at the airport. One of my colleagues had Nexus and her card enabled three of us to go in the priority lane which was very useful. Then I saw this thread so I am just now reading it.

S
If you travel at least once a year I would do it for sure. You also get TSA Precheck in the US and priority border crossings. The only hurdle is getting to the interview centre, its kind of a PITA as for me its 2hrs drive away in Toronto. Nice to know they were lenient in letting you (non-NEXUS holders) through with the NEXUS holder. Maybe they'll let me through when I go with family this summer.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't be too bad for me as I live in Vancouver and there are a couple of places it could be.

I'd only be concerned as to whether I would be approved. I have no reason to think I wouldn't but why might someone not be?

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.