NEXUS card

Old Aug 26th 2016, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXUS card

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yay!! Interview is done, everything good to go. They did ask me for both passports, so noting my Maltese citizenship was the correct thing to do.

Now, in GOES it still lists my old Canadian passport, even though I got it renewed since my original application and the new one is what was scanned today at the interview. Should I go ahead and update to my new Canadian passport in GOES?? Would doing so affect use of Global Entry? (It shouldn't since the new passport is what they scanned today at the interview right?)

Niagara falls/Ft Erie centre was very easy to get to, take QEW towards Niagara and get off at very last exit, turn right and immediately left into the centre.
I think they were a little weirded out that I was the only one in the family applying, and the US guy didn't seem to like that I don't travel to the US often, but it was fine in the end.
Update the details and thats it. Global Entry kiosks will recognize the new passport when scanned and providing fingerprints and the kiosk will take a picture and answer the questions on the touch screen. Flying into Canada and using the NEXUS kiosk you simply insert the NEXUS card do the Iris scan and answer the questions on the touch screen and collect the ticket. Passport remains in your pocket. Driving just hold up the NEXUS card to the card reader just before you stop and then hand it to the US or Canadian officer.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Update the details and thats it. Global Entry kiosks will recognize the new passport when scanned and providing fingerprints and the kiosk will take a picture and answer the questions on the touch screen. Flying into Canada and using the NEXUS kiosk you simply insert the NEXUS card do the Iris scan and answer the questions on the touch screen and collect the ticket. Passport remains in your pocket. Driving just hold up the NEXUS card to the card reader just before you stop and then hand it to the US or Canadian officer.
Great, cheers

GOES says my membership is valid until 27/01/2022 as well which is nice
Old Aug 26th 2016, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Question-If I fly into a Canadian airport where there is no NEXUS option (such as YXU), can I use the special services / crew counter or do I just use the regular line?
Old Aug 26th 2016, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Question-If I fly into a Canadian airport where there is no NEXUS option (such as YXU), can I use the special services / crew counter or do I just use the regular line?
They will normally accept NEXUS if the line is marked NEXUS, Crew or Special Services.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
They will normally accept NEXUS if the line is marked NEXUS, Crew or Special Services.
Cheers

For whoever mentioned the issue with the issuing authority on passports, I can confirm thats still an issue, when I updated my passport info, I was not able to change the issuing authority. (Thankfully, both my old passport and new passport were issued by London)
Old Sep 6th 2016, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Card arrived in the mail, activated in GOES, all is well. One thing I noticed is, on the card it states my name as "Lastname, Gozit Middlename" (as it appears in my passports and on my birth certificate), whilst the MRZ is LASTNAME<<GOZIT with no middle name, whereas the passports state LASTNAME<<GOZIT<MIDDLENAME ... Just a weird thing. I suppose all is fine on their end so i'm not worried about it.

Also when I entered the KTN in my reservation for our Delta flights in december, that automatically updated my name from "Lastname, Gozit Middlename" to "Lastname, Gozit" only, as the MRZ in the card states. So clearly the systems talk to each other very fast.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 5:29 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by withabix
3 years of PR required first.

Temporary status before that doesn't count towards the 3 years.
This appears to be wrong. I just called the Nexus info line and asked them this question. The answer was that:
  • You need to hold PR (or be a citizen) at the time you apply
  • You need to have lived in Canada for three years at the time you apply
You do *not* need to have held PR for three years.

I asked specifically because the Nexus websites are ambiguous on this point.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by benlast
This appears to be wrong. I just called the Nexus info line and asked them this question. The answer was that:
  • You need to hold PR (or be a citizen) at the time you apply
  • You need to have lived in Canada for three years at the time you apply
You do *not* need to have held PR for three years.

I asked specifically because the Nexus websites are ambiguous on this point.
PRs have a 3 year residence requirement (irregardless of status whilst resident) , citizens can apply from anywhere in the world irregardless of the country they live in or previous residence in Canada.
Old Sep 29th 2016, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

PRs have a 3 year residence requirement (irregardless of status whilst resident) , citizens can apply from anywhere in the world irregardless of the country they live in or previous residence in Canada.
To clarify, if I have been a PR since March 2015 and resident in Canada since June 2012 I can apply for Nexus now?

Thanks,

Dom
Old Oct 1st 2016, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Update:

Things didn't go smoothly for me at the Nexus interview yesterday

I had my Iris scan done and had the finger prints but the US officer spent a long time discussing the fact that my PR card doesn't quite match my name on my passport as it is written. This is because my name on my PR card is truncated by one letter as for the old design there was a maximum of 15 letters/spaces for first/middle names and I have 16.
So my name on my passport appears as:

XXXXXXXXXX XXXXA XXXXX

and on my PR card/BC DL as above but with the A missing.

The officer said she would write the name as on my passport.
The she said she wanted me to get an ESTA. I could go to the computer terminal in the room; make another appointment to come back or withdraw my application. I applied for the ESTA which was approved and gave her the paper. She said I was good to go and would receive the card in two weeks. She gave me the leaflet about Nexus which we all got.

My husband and daughter went through minimal discussion.

They got update approval to the GOES account straightaway but I have had nothing. I feel bad because I have never been arrested, I have no criminal record and never have had one. I have never violated any customs rules etc and I feel like my honesty is being questioned but there isn't anything that seemed to be discussed except the "A" omitted from my PR card. I am on the system with CIC with my full name. I wrote things exactly as they were on the Nexus application (i.e. my full name but then for the PR card section of the form, the truncated version).

When will I hear? I assume I'll get a refusal through the GOES account.
Is it possible to call and ask for an update so that at least I know?

Snowy

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 1st 2016 at 2:45 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Update:

Things didn't go smoothly for me at the Nexus interview yesterday

I had my Iris scan done and had the finger prints but the US officer spent a long time discussing the fact that my PR card doesn't quite match my name on my passport as it is written. This is because my name on my PR card is truncated by one letter as for the old design there was a maximum of 15 letters/spaces for first/middle names and I have 16.
So my name on my passport appears as:

XXXXXXXXXX XXXXA XXXXX

and on my PR card/BC DL as above but with the A missing.

The officer said she would write the name as on my passport.
The she said she wanted me to get an ESTA. I could go to the computer terminal in the room; make another appointment to come back or withdraw my application. I applied for the ESTA which was approved and gave her the paper. She said I was good to go and would receive the card in two weeks. She gave me the leaflet about Nexus which we all got.

My husband and daughter went through minimal discussion.

They got update approval to the GOES account straightaway but I have had nothing. I feel bad because I have never been arrested, I have no criminal record and never have had one. I have never violated any customs rules etc and I feel like my honesty is being questioned but there isn't anything that seemed to be discussed except the "A" omitted from my PR card. I am on the system with CIC with my full name.

When will I hear? I assume I'll get a refusal through the GOES account.
Is it possible to call and ask for an update so that at least I know?

Snowy
Sometimes you get an instant response sometimes you have to wait for the update approval. I can't see any reason why it would be refused. As for calling the GOES helpline unless you have sadistic tendencies and waiting for hours and then only to be told we can't help you then go ahead and call
Old Oct 1st 2016, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your response. So you think I shouldn't lose hope yet? I will update you. I felt really embarrassed about saying what happened but feel better that I have done so.

Ironic really. The only reason my husband and daughter applied is because I filled out the forms and applied for them. They had never thought of applying. Now I'm really upset and they both wish we'd never applied! My daughter can see that trip to Seattle I promised her getting further and further away whereas before she was quite hopeful we'd go if all approved.

I hope it's not because I don't have a European sounding name.
The PR card truncation is a pain: BC will only issue DL licences in the PR card name.

I forgot to mention in my previous post: the middle name that seems to be causing the issue used to be my maiden name so I had to explain all that as well because I think she asked me my maiden name or if I'd had any other surnames (something like that).

S
Old Oct 1st 2016, 5:06 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I also think you will be fine Snowy, they did your iris cards which I don't think they would have done if they were declining you. Sorry they put you through the wringer though.

:f ingerscrossed:

All claw on all four paws crossed

Last edited by Stinkypup; Oct 1st 2016 at 5:08 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you!

I will update this thread. I was embarrassed to admit what had happened but at the same time, I wanted to let you all know. xxxx

S

PS: the CBSA guy did the Iris scan before I moved over to speak with the US person.

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 1st 2016 at 5:14 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Thank you!

I will update this thread. I was embarrassed to admit what had happened but at the same time, I wanted to let you all know. xxxx

S

PS: the CBSA guy did the Iris scan before I moved over to speak with the US person.
The Iris is for NEXUS so it wouldn't matter which side you see first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.