NEXUS card

Old Jun 8th 2016, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default NEXUS card

I was doing some reading on the NEXUS, and realised its not just for the land border, it works at the airport and US airports with Global Entry when entering from anywhere. At $50/5 years, it seems there is no reason not to have one. The only PITA is getting to Toronto for the interview, but I can do that over the summer... Are there any specific pitfalls I should know about? It looks like as a minor I am OK applying, but does the fact that my Canadian passport is expiring soon affect it at all? (ie will the NEXUS only be valid until my passport expires?)

It seems like an awesome thing to have for someone who travels at least once a year.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXUS card

Originally Posted by Gozit
I was doing some reading on the NEXUS, and realised its not just for the land border, it works at the airport and US airports with Global Entry when entering from anywhere. At $50/5 years, it seems there is no reason not to have one. The only PITA is getting to Toronto for the interview, but I can do that over the summer... Are there any specific pitfalls I should know about? It looks like as a minor I am OK applying, but does the fact that my Canadian passport is expiring soon affect it at all? (ie will the NEXUS only be valid until my passport expires?)

It seems like an awesome thing to have for someone who travels at least once a year.
Get your PP renewed first. AFAIK you have to go back to Pearson if there are any changes to the info you provided...ie address, PP, marital status etc.

It certainly makes entering or exiting Canada or the US very easy.

When using NEXUS make sure you declare goods brought into Canada. You are told during the interview that if you are caught bringing banned goods or over the limit goods you will be held to a much higher standard.

If you are travelling by road you can only use NEXUS if every person in the vehicle has NEXUS.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Get your PP renewed first. AFAIK you have to go back to Pearson if there are any changes to the info you provided...ie address, PP, marital status etc.

It certainly makes entering or exiting Canada or the US very easy.

When using NEXUS make sure you declare goods brought into Canada. You are told during the interview that if you are caught bringing banned goods or over the limit goods you will be held to a much higher standard.

If you are travelling by road you can only use NEXUS if every person in the vehicle has NEXUS.
Thank you... It looks like you are right re the info changes except for passports and address, which can be updated via GOES supposedly. NEXUS - Updates to personal information

May be better to renew the passport first just to be safe but doesn't look like you have to.

Re the customs goods - i'm too paranoid so I always declare everything so I am OK there
With road - we have always put off Nexus since we thought it was only for road. (we don't travel by road often) Now I know I can use it in the airport when I travel alone and thats good enough for me.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

It's also good for using priority security lanes at Canadian airports for domestic flights - which has saved me a lot of time and hassle over the years.

Your NEXUS card number is also your "known traveler(sic) number" (KTN) which, if entered on any US domestic (and US-Canada) flight bookings, should help you get TSA PreCheck which can be very useful where there's no explicit NEXUS line. IIRC, you can't just flash your NEXUS card to get in to priority lines in US airports any more - it's all about PreCheck now - but just remember that you need to enter this info yourself (or ensure it's on any frequent flyer record that you may link to - but always good to double-check a specific booking has it down).
Old Jun 8th 2016, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bgpz
It's also good for using priority security lanes at Canadian airports for domestic flights - which has saved me a lot of time and hassle over the years.

Your NEXUS card number is also your "known traveler(sic) number" (KTN) which, if entered on any US domestic (and US-Canada) flight bookings, should help you get TSA PreCheck which can be very useful where there's no explicit NEXUS line. IIRC, you can't just flash your NEXUS card to get in to priority lines in US airports any more - it's all about PreCheck now - but just remember that you need to enter this info yourself (or ensure it's on any frequent flyer record that you may link to - but always good to double-check a specific booking has it down).
Good to know, thank you! Priority security would be nice, that's always one of the annoying (but necessary!) parts of travelling.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 3:59 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Can Canadian PRs apply for NEXUS?
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Can Canadian PRs apply for NEXUS?
3 years of PR required first.

Temporary status before that doesn't count towards the 3 years.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:47 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
3 years of PR required first.

Temporary status before that doesn't count towards the 3 years.
Thanks I'll almost be able to apply for citizenship by then so Ill wait.

Please tell me its easier getting through the states with a PR card though - I get sick of all the questions. I was just hoping a NEXUS would make things easier
Old Jun 8th 2016, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Thanks I'll almost be able to apply for citizenship by then so Ill wait.

Please tell me its easier getting through the states with a PR card though - I get sick of all the questions. I was just hoping a NEXUS would make things easier
Yes it is...by road and by air.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you... It looks like you are right re the info changes except for passports and address, which can be updated via GOES supposedly. NEXUS - Updates to personal information

May be better to renew the passport first just to be safe but doesn't look like you have to.

Re the customs goods - i'm too paranoid so I always declare everything so I am OK there
With road - we have always put off Nexus since we thought it was only for road. (we don't travel by road often) Now I know I can use it in the airport when I travel alone and thats good enough for me.
Renew your passport first. If the passport expires then you need to update your details i.e. new passport details. You will have to have the new passport scanned by USCBP at an enrolment centre or a US airport with Global Entry. Global Entry kiosks which you have the privilege of using when entering the USA work by scanning your passport data page. If the new passport hasn't been scanned by USCBP then sometimes the kiosks will not work and then you piss off the US officers
Do not confuse the 2 programmes as they are different. NEXUS is for flying into Canada, driving into Canada or the US, boating Canada/US where allowed.
Global Entry is for flying into the US only.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Renew your passport first. If the passport expires then you need to update your details i.e. new passport details. You will have to have the new passport scanned by USCBP at an enrolment centre or a US airport with Global Entry. Global Entry kiosks which you have the privilege of using when entering the USA work by scanning your passport data page. If the new passport hasn't been scanned by USCBP then sometimes the kiosks will not work and then you piss off the US officers
Do not confuse the 2 programmes as they are different. NEXUS is for flying into Canada, driving into Canada or the US, boating Canada/US where allowed.
Global Entry is for flying into the US only.
NEXUS is for flying into the US too.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
NEXUS is for flying into the US too.
So why are the kiosks called Global Entry when entering the US? They removed the NEXUS kiosks (red in colour) from US Pre Clearance at Canadian airports over 3 years ago. NEXUS members get the privilege of using Global Entry kiosks which are blue in colour.
The NEXUS website where you click on the link NEXUS Air is out of date as it still mentions scanning your iris when entering the USA. The kiosks now take a photo and fingerprints and you scan your passport bio data page.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:40 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any specific pitfalls I should know about?
Bear in mind it doesn't necessarily get you out of having a passport (for international travel). IATA rules require you produce a passport at check-in and at the gate (if asked by an agent).

In practice, they all know what NEXUS is and will usually not care but I think you'd be very brave to show up without your passport. (Plus anywhere other than the US you've got to have a passport to get back.)

Personally I think it's the best $60 I've ever spent. I'd happily pay $600 for it. The number of times its saved my ass.

Be aware of crossing into Canada by land with it, because you're supposed to produce a traveller's declaration card. Personally I think it is the stupidest thing I've ever come across, because apparently you're supposed to either (a) know in advance what you will be bringing back or (b) have access to a printer to print the thing off before coming back.

Travellers - Frequently Asked Questions about the Traveller Declaration Card (TDC)

Usually the inspector is okay with a verbal declaration but you can run into jobsworths who insist on the form. And then next time, you have the damn thing and they don't know what it is.

Last edited by Steve_; Jun 8th 2016 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Renew your passport first. If the passport expires then you need to update your details i.e. new passport details. You will have to have the new passport scanned by USCBP at an enrolment centre or a US airport with Global Entry.
Does it have to be scanned? I thought updating the details on GOES was sufficient. Surely I don't have to go the enrollment centre for that?
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_
Does it have to be scanned? I thought updating the details on GOES was sufficient. Surely I don't have to go the enrollment centre for that?
Its supposed to but it doesn't always work and I speak from experience.
There is no requirement to have a TDC when using NEXUS crossing back into Canada.
A TDC (Traveller Declaration Card) is a form that allows Canadian residents who are members of the Trusted Traveller programs (TTP) entering Canada to declare goods purchased, received or otherwise acquired, and to pay any applicable duties and taxes, through the credit card information provided on the form.

I know thousands of NEXUS members who don't use the TDC as its voluntary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.