Nexus Card

Old Jul 25th 2015, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nexus Card

Originally Posted by macadian
Worth having imo, has saved us a lot of time at both border x and airports. However, on occasion the NEXUS booth at border X's has not been manned (Staff shortage's?) meaning a long wait in the standard line up. Nothings perfect eh!
We are lucky we have a dedicated NEXUS crossing at Whirlpool. Last time we came through Lewiston the NEXUS lane was only open for a couple of hours in the mornings and evenings.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

Although I live only about 10 miles from a bridge connecting Canada and the US, I very rarely visit the US. I did last week, though, just for a couple of hours and, as usual, was told at the border into the US to park my car and go into the border office. After about 10 minutes of waiting (there were a couple of families ahead of me), I was called to the counter and paid up my US$6 (the 'entry fee' to the States, as I call it). Then I had my fingers prints taken from both hands, then a photo taken of my face.

They then handed back my passport to me, along with my car keys (I had never had to hand over my car keys before.....don't know if they checked out the car or not, while I was in the border office). They stamped my British passport (I'm still British, though have lived in Canada for a number of years), handed it back to me, and told me that it would last for 90 days.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 11:58 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not clear there's any real advantage to NEXUS if you aren't Canadian/American/Mexican.

You still do have to go into secondary to do OBIM when you visit the US by land and you have to OBIM at primary by air. It might save you a little bit of time but not much. It does save time going through security domestically though.

I've found over the years that I've had one that it sometimes gets better, e.g. more NEXUS security lanes at the airport and sometimes get worse, e.g. there are more people standing in line now to use the NEXUS machine because more people have cards.

The real problem is getting an appointment to apply or renew it, it's gotten to insane proportions now, when I renewed my card I had to do it 8am on a Saturday morning. And that's in Calgary so in Vancouver or Toronto it must be a nightmare.

For land use you're probably better off getting an EDL but Alberta doesn't issue one so I have to get NEXUS.

It has definitely saved my ass on various occasions, but I did detail a problem I had at Coutts with it last year elsewhere.

CBSA seem to have become less trusting of NEXUS over the years, when it started they barely paid any attention to NEXUS members, now you're treated more like a regular traveller. Definitely helps on the American side though.
Old Jul 26th 2015, 9:33 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

At our highway crossed bags there are at least 2 dedicated nexus lanes, plus if my white 3 month slip hadrun out and You have to go to secondary , there's a sep Nexus line up - I've obly ever waited another 10 mins in secondary now, whilst the mainine was looking at 2 hrs!
Old Jul 27th 2015, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It depends on where you live and how you use it. Many are simply getting one to use for domestic flights to avoid the long line ups going through security.
As you get Global Entry privileges along with it you can use the US kiosks when flying into the US from anywhere in the world and some of those line ups for US Customs are horrendous.
Ask the drivers crossing at Douglas or Pac Highway if its worth it or not.
Some people are under the impression that if you have a NEXUS card it exempts you from going through Customs which of course is BS.
Exactly why I got one......I use Vancouver, Calgary & Edmonton airports regularly for internal flights and it saves me so much time rather than having to wait in the normal security line !! If you travel a lot for work, I think its a great thing to have !
Old Jul 27th 2015, 9:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'm not clear there's any real advantage to NEXUS if you aren't Canadian/American/Mexican.

You still do have to go into secondary to do OBIM when you visit the US by land and you have to OBIM at primary by air. It might save you a little bit of time but not much. It does save time going through security domestically though.

I've found over the years that I've had one that it sometimes gets better, e.g. more NEXUS security lanes at the airport and sometimes get worse, e.g. there are more people standing in line now to use the NEXUS machine because more people have cards.

The real problem is getting an appointment to apply or renew it, it's gotten to insane proportions now, when I renewed my card I had to do it 8am on a Saturday morning. And that's in Calgary so in Vancouver or Toronto it must be a nightmare.

For land use you're probably better off getting an EDL but Alberta doesn't issue one so I have to get NEXUS.

It has definitely saved my ass on various occasions, but I did detail a problem I had at Coutts with it last year elsewhere.

CBSA seem to have become less trusting of NEXUS over the years, when it started they barely paid any attention to NEXUS members, now you're treated more like a regular traveller. Definitely helps on the American side though.
Coming back into Canada last week at Pt. Roberts the Nexus lane had almost as long a wait as the normal lane did, but neither was more then 5 mins.

I don't find the border waits long enough to justify paying the fees and doing all the red tape needed.

Not enough benefit for me.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 10:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Point Roberts is a bit of an odd border crossing because it is low volume, at Peace Arch and Pacific Highway the wait is usually a lot shorter.

If you don't fly much though I think in BC the better option might be the EDL.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I just get a passport, not a Canadian citizen. Using a passport isn't hard.

I never use peach arch, but Pacific always has a 5 to 10 wait for non nexus when we have crossed so nothing major.

Point Roberts is a bit of an odd border crossing because it is low volume, at Peace Arch and Pacific Highway the wait is usually a lot shorter.

If you don't fly much though I think in BC the better option might be the EDL.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 11:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I just get a passport, not a Canadian citizen. Using a passport isn't hard.

I never use peach arch, but Pacific always has a 5 to 10 wait for non nexus when we have crossed so nothing major.
US and Canadian citizens are eligible for NEXUS.

I suppose it depends which US/Can border crossings you use and how often you fly in and out of IS and Canadian airports. For us it is definitely worth it.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 2:21 am
Account Closed

I meant I can't get a BC edl as I am not Canadian citizen.

We fly like every 2 or 3 years or more and we just don't cross enough. Not worth all the red tape and fees for us.

My friend who crosses weekly really benefits.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
US and Canadian citizens are eligible for NEXUS.

I suppose it depends which US/Can border crossings you use and how often you fly in and out of IS and Canadian airports. For us it is definitely worth it.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 12:07 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Bit of a silly restriction.

Time to apply for Canadian citizenship then.
Old Jul 31st 2015, 5:36 am
Account Closed

Bit of a silly restriction.

Time to apply for Canadian citizenship then.
Some day, just have more important things to spend money on, its on the list of eventual things to do, but I may be saying the same thing 20 years from now...lol

My wife's mom keeps saying one day one day, and she has been here 50 years now..
Old Sep 17th 2015, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Just to resurrect this one, as I don't see the answer to my question:

Do you have to have been a Permanent Resident for 3 years or be a Permanent Resident and have been living in Canada for 3 years?

i.e. if you were a TFW for 2 years and then a PR for a year, is that the qualifying 3 years, or do you have to be a PR for 3 years?

Just trying to figure if I've got to wait until the end of October 2016 (TFW + PR = 3 years) or September 2018 (3 Years PR) to get one!
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Just to resurrect this one, as I don't see the answer to my question:

Do you have to have been a Permanent Resident for 3 years or be a Permanent Resident and have been living in Canada for 3 years?

i.e. if you were a TFW for 2 years and then a PR for a year, is that the qualifying 3 years, or do you have to be a PR for 3 years?

Just trying to figure if I've got to wait until the end of October 2016 (TFW + PR = 3 years) or September 2018 (3 Years PR) to get one!
Holders of work/study permits ie TFWs & Students are not considered PRS's so not eligible to apply for NEXUS. The 3 years is for those who have been PR's for 3 years as a landed immigrant.

9. To clarify and expand the eligibility criteria for the NEXUS program, the following amendments to Section 6.1 of the Presentation of Persons (2003) Regulations are proposed: (a) Paragraph 6.1(a) will be amended to replace the reference to paragraphs 6(a) to (f) with a reference to paragraphs 6(a) to (e).
(b) A condition will be added requiring permanent residents of Canada within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and permanent residents of the United States to have resided only in one or more of the following countries during the three-year period preceding the day on which the application is received and up until the day on which the authorization is issued: (i) Canada or the United States;
(ii) a foreign country in which the person is serving as a member of the Canadian Forces or the United States Armed Forces;
(iii) a foreign country in which the spouse, common law partner or person of whom they are a dependent is serving at a Canadian or American diplomatic mission or consular post or serving overseas as a member of the Canadian Forces or United States Armed Forces.

(c) The residency requirement would not apply to citizens of Canada or the United States. This requirement would also not apply to children adopted abroad who hold a permanent resident status in Canada or the United States.

10. These proposed amendments apply exclusively to the NEXUS program.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

The main thing they've proposed with those regs is to make the criminal record restriction much tighter, which I told CBSA I thought was stupid because CBSA use their method of comparing a foreign offence with a domestic offence which works for simple entries but the definition they're going to use for NEXUS cards is narrower, so for example, someone convicted in Hong Kong for public disorder protesting against a totalitarian government might be precluded from getting one.

Which is mad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.