Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nexus 5 or OnePlus One

Nexus 5 or OnePlus One

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nexus 5 or OnePlus One

All of the children are wanting smartphones this Christmas. One is insisting on an IPhone 5S but the other two seem to rate the Nexus 5 as the one to go for to replace their Samsungs. They say the OPO is better on paper but quite new.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
All of the children are wanting smartphones this Christmas. One is insisting on an IPhone 5S but the other two seem to rate the Nexus 5 as the one to go for to replace their Samsungs. They say the OPO is better on paper but quite new.
Android vs. iPhone is a personal preference IMO. They are both equal in what they can do etc, with time effort and $$ you can make anything happen on either. Its just what you prefer. Your kids made great, informed choices

If looking for a new carrier i'd recommend Koodo monthly or if you like Rogers' coverage better Fido has the same plans usually.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

just seen an advert for wind, $45 incl canada wide calls and unlimited data but depends where you live, i'm thinking of going to them as i live in edmonton with coverage and if i go anywhere in canada i have a company cell to i can use on those very rare occasions.

http://www.windmobile.ca/plans-and-d...special-offers
Old Dec 10th 2014, 5:59 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

If you spend 99% of your time in Wind's coverage area and don't travel outside of it often, then Wind is certainly a good option. Does their network cover LTE? I can't remember. But in any case, it's a good deal as long as you stay in their coverage zones.

(I went with Koodo because I spend enough time outside of Wind's coverage zone, between a few trips to Montreal a year, so on the road in between, plus my parents rent a cottage in the boonies every July, so there's a month of no coverage to deal with!)

Koodo has a $0 Nexus 5 deal on right now as well, can't remember the details, but I've heard it on the radio a few times.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

it actually says in winds fine print that unlimited data is actually 10GB lol but thats the most data i would ever have had on a phone so unlikely i would use more.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
just seen an advert for wind, $45 incl canada wide calls and unlimited data but depends where you live, i'm thinking of going to them as i live in edmonton with coverage and if i go anywhere in canada i have a company cell to i can use on those very rare occasions.

Special Offers
Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
If you spend 99% of your time in Wind's coverage area and don't travel outside of it often, then Wind is certainly a good option. Does their network cover LTE? I can't remember. But in any case, it's a good deal as long as you stay in their coverage zones.

(I went with Koodo because I spend enough time outside of Wind's coverage zone, between a few trips to Montreal a year, so on the road in between, plus my parents rent a cottage in the boonies every July, so there's a month of no coverage to deal with!)

Koodo has a $0 Nexus 5 deal on right now as well, can't remember the details, but I've heard it on the radio a few times.
Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
it actually says in winds fine print that unlimited data is actually 10GB lol but thats the most data i would ever have had on a phone so unlikely i would use more.
Wind's network is awful. They don't run LTE and their 3G/H+ is terrible. I'll try and grab hold of my brothers wind phone and do a speed test but I do know it is really bad. The latency means it will take a good 40-50 seconds even for a BE page to load. Honestly i'd pay the extra to be with the big three just because of that... If they had better speeds then I would consider it because i'm not often outside of their cover and even then that $45 plan has $10 worth of credits included for roaming use. But the speeds are just awful.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gozit
Wind's network is awful. They don't run LTE and their 3G/H+ is terrible. I'll try and grab hold of my brothers wind phone and do a speed test but I do know it is really bad. The latency means it will take a good 40-50 seconds even for a BE page to load. Honestly i'd pay the extra to be with the big three just because of that... If they had better speeds then I would consider it because i'm not often outside of their cover and even then that $45 plan has $10 worth of credits included for roaming use. But the speeds are just awful.
that would be much appreciated thank you.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Random Q - Schnooks - do you know if/when Koodo's double prepaid booster promo is coming?
Old Dec 10th 2014, 10:47 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Random Q - Schnooks - do you know if/when Koodo's double prepaid booster promo is coming?
It came around this time last year... and they haven't done another one yet this year. Last year I got a text when it was going on. It was also posted all over RedFlagDeals... if (when?) they do it again I'll post. I'll be buying a year's worth of data and minutes when they do that promo, since they don't expire! So I'll just pick up like 8GB and 1500 minutes and that should last me a year no problem!
Old Dec 10th 2014, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
It came around this time last year... and they haven't done another one yet this year. Last year I got a text when it was going on. It was also posted all over RedFlagDeals... if (when?) they do it again I'll post. I'll be buying a year's worth of data and minutes when they do that promo, since they don't expire! So I'll just pick up like 8GB and 1500 minutes and that should last me a year no problem!
Ok thanks Let me know when you see it because when it comes I may look into migrating my brother back to Koodo prepaid. 1GB data boosters were getting too expensive for him

Juggernaut - I did some testing on my brother's phone (WIND) and my phone (Rogers LTE) and what I found was

-in the same area of the house (main floor) , WIND phone was constantly fluctuating from 1-3 bars (out of 5) , on 1-2 bars speed was really bad, under 1 mb/s, on 3 bars it was okay (3-5 mb/s) but latency was pretty high. (High is bad for latency)

I took some screencaps of the speedtests, and I sent them from the WIND phone to my phone. It took around 20 secs each to send the pics to my phone.

Loading up BE took about 15 seconds.

In contrast:

On my Rogers LTE phone, the signal stayed the same at 1 bar of LTE, but its the sort of thing 1 bar of LTE is better than full bars of 3G. Speed was a consistent 9-11Mbps, latency 40-45ms. Sending the pics took about 2 secs each, and loading up BE was almost instantaneous. All this on 1 bar of LTE.

I attached the screencaps for you too

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Nexus 5 or OnePlus One-img_0996.png   Nexus 5 or OnePlus One-img_0997.png   Nexus 5 or OnePlus One-img_0998.png   Nexus 5 or OnePlus One-img_0999.png   Nexus 5 or OnePlus One-img_0992.png  

Old Dec 10th 2014, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

More screencaps.
Attached Thumbnails Nexus 5 or OnePlus One-img_0993.png   Nexus 5 or OnePlus One-img_0994.png   Nexus 5 or OnePlus One-img_0995.png  
Old Dec 12th 2014, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

wegotserved is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to throw my two cents in (for context I'm still in the UK, heading to Canada in March, so no opinion on network performance right now!).

I've owned a Nexus 5 for the last year and have loved it - for the price, it's a fabulous phone. The plastic chassis is a little bit slippy and brittle (cheap) and *will* smash if dropped (I'm on my second handset!) so make sure you use a case/bumper.

This week, I've just switched from the Nexus 5 to the Motorola Moto X (2nd Generation). A little more expensive/premium feel than the Nexus 5 - brighter/warmer screen and still retains quite a "pure" Android experience. Some really nice hardware customisation options too if you order direct from Motorola (if that matters to you).

There are a few Moto apps/features that aren't available on other phones that actually work really well (eg. view calls and texts in your web browser) so if you get a chance, play with both handsets side by side.

That said, pound for pound, it's hard to beat the Nexus 5!

Terry
Old Dec 12th 2014, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok thanks Let me know when you see it because when it comes I may look into migrating my brother back to Koodo prepaid. 1GB data boosters were getting too expensive for him

Juggernaut - I did some testing on my brother's phone (WIND) and my phone (Rogers LTE) and what I found was

-in the same area of the house (main floor) , WIND phone was constantly fluctuating from 1-3 bars (out of 5) , on 1-2 bars speed was really bad, under 1 mb/s, on 3 bars it was okay (3-5 mb/s) but latency was pretty high. (High is bad for latency)

I took some screencaps of the speedtests, and I sent them from the WIND phone to my phone. It took around 20 secs each to send the pics to my phone.

Loading up BE took about 15 seconds.

In contrast:

On my Rogers LTE phone, the signal stayed the same at 1 bar of LTE, but its the sort of thing 1 bar of LTE is better than full bars of 3G. Speed was a consistent 9-11Mbps, latency 40-45ms. Sending the pics took about 2 secs each, and loading up BE was almost instantaneous. All this on 1 bar of LTE.

I attached the screencaps for you too

Hope this helps

WOW Wind really looks lame lol
Wont bother with them !
Old Dec 12th 2014, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

One thing here i've been asked about is battery life and charging time since the Lollipop update ! Some people are experiencing major issues since Lollipop came out, I'm not too bad but i have noticed charging taking longer and battery runs down a little quicker now.
I've started manually shutting down apps that are running which helps a little but the Nexus 5 may have been tripped up with this latest update.
Anyone else noticed this with their Nexus 5 thats had the update ?
Old Dec 12th 2014, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

wegotserved is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not seeing a big change in battery life - poor before, poor after.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.