Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Newbie to Forum looking for help

Newbie to Forum looking for help

Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:34 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie to Forum looking for help

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Thankfully he got a job in law enforcement that he likes but I want to outline some of the differences that I am aware of to you.
Do we have the makings of a BE Sheriff's posse here by any chance ?
Old Aug 4th 2015, 6:26 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Do we have the makings of a BE Sheriff's posse here by any chance ?
Maybe
Old Aug 4th 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xan250313
Hi all,

all feedback is appreciated and as stated we are just at the start of the process and will take everything we can into consideration. obviously a lot of points to answer but in relation to the 'issues' we have here in the UK my main concern is the drink and drug culture (and yes before you start drugs are a problem everywhere)...In my view it is spiralling out of control here and this was hit home further to me when I started driving a taxi. There are no real community's anymore here and a lack of people who have respect for their communitys and want to contribute. The youth of today has zero respect for the area they live in, their parents, their own possessions even. The country has gone soft beyond a point where it can turn it round. We live in a quite affluent area and there is lack of investment in recreational facility's. More and more facilities are being taken away. We are simply mass producing houses to cope with a housing shortage but we do not have the infrastructure to go with that. Our road net work is not suitable for purpose, Yes added to this we have problems with migrants raping our benefit system <big snip>
I could have written this about where I live/have lived in Canada. Or about many other areas in Canada. On a down day.

Moving from the UK to Canada will not leave the disaffected youth/drink/drugs/etc etc problems behind. You might find they just get swept a little further under the carpet ...

I think you need to sit down & work out what *pulls* you to Canada, not what is *pushing* you out of the UK (See Paul Shephard's excellent posts for the "pull/push" theory).
Old Aug 5th 2015, 3:18 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to wade in here, but not for long, I remember feeling as you do, I remember the excitement of looking into emigrating and choosing a perceived better life for my daughter, 10 years on, the drug culture here is hidden quite well ie not reported in the headlines every two seconds, unless its weed, if it's weed, then doesn't everyone do it? Whats the problem?

We wonder why we didnt choose elsewhere in the UK, my daughter now 20 is looking at studying in the UK as she is finding life here a little bland, especially after 3 weeks in the Europe. We are researching a possible move to Ontario or back to the UK or a mix of both.

have a good read of the moving back to the UK section, we were all excited to move once, try to get a balanced view.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xan250313
There are no real community's anymore here and a lack of people who have respect for their communitys and want to contribute.
Just had to say I completely disagree with this. Perhaps you live in a town so it's different, but in every village I've lived in there's been a strong community. Each time we've moved somewhere new we've been greeted with cakes and welcomes, and there's been a strong community including street parties, get togethers, committees etc.

Personally I'd say it's far easier to integrate and find a good community in the UK, particularly as you'll be the 'foreigner' in Canada.

And re: drugs/drink, I agree that drink is worse in the UK (again generalising), but do look in to the drugs issues in Canada (particuarly marijuana) before you think it would be better there.

I agree with everybody else that it's far better to move for the love of a country than the perceived negatives of the one you're leaving behind. Often you'll find that the same problems you're trying to escape are in Canada too, but without the support network of your friends/family, and being somewhere where it's all unfamiliar.

Would a move within the UK get you somewhere you'd be happier with? And save £25k or so as well!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 12:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And re: drugs/drink, I agree that drink is worse in the UK (again generalising), but do look in to the drugs issues in Canada (particuarly marijuana) before you think it would be better there.
I wouldn't worry about marijuana; very many people smoke, petrol stations sell bongs, no one dies of it. Meth is another matter.

Like Piff Poff, I have children who grew up in, and grew up out of, Canada. I think that's quite common.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I wouldn't worry about marijuana; very many people smoke, petrol stations sell bongs, no one dies of it. Meth is another matter.
There's a well-known scientific study that "scores drugs" by how much harm they cause (to the user and to others).

Every time I start doubting that most government policies are driven by populism and hysteria, I just need to look at the graph.
Attached Thumbnails Newbie to Forum looking for help-20101106_woc504_0.gif  
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
There's a well-known scientific study that "scores drugs" by how much harm they cause (to the user and to others).

Every time I start doubting that most government policies are driven by populism and hysteria, I just need to look at the graph.
Not sure how mushrooms can hurt anyone, I have them for breakfast and feel fine.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 11:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Not sure how mushrooms can hurt anyone, I have them for breakfast and feel fine.
I just read that and split my sides with laughter so they must hurt others more than the user