British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Need to be living in Vancouver island asap (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/need-living-vancouver-island-asap-854081/)

Gordon Stuart Mar 8th 2015 1:27 pm

Need to be living in Vancouver island asap

Wife is Canadian, we are separated but her and my son (2 years old) are living in Courtney Vancouver Island....Long story short, she went on holiday and never came back. I put house on the market in uk and waited a few months tending to work and doing house up, to look enticing for buyers. The plan was to be together over there! BUT.... She started seeing someone else etc etc..... :(
She told me i could just get on a plane and apply for a work permit over there?? Is that possible?
I really miss my son, and need to be over there working, is there a quick way of getting there maybe on compassionate grounds?
I've been so stressed and down in the dumps with all this, i just need advice.
Do i need a confirmed job first?
How do i apply for a work visa? etc etc

ann m Mar 8th 2015 1:49 pm

Re: Need to be living in Vancouver island asap

Any chance you want to look at taking her to court for removing your child without your permission?!

DandNHill Mar 8th 2015 1:54 pm

The quickest would be that new express entry visa. No idea on the criteria or whether you would be eligible but worth looking in to?

Gordon Stuart Mar 8th 2015 1:58 pm

Hi Ann. What's done is done, he got automatic Canadian citizenship. Plus... nothing was without my permission. She missed home so i agreed to tidy up loose ends here in the UK and join them, but things took time and i had to work like a dog to pay for lots of things etc etc... time apart affected our relationship, although i went out several times on holiday to see them.... but she fell for someone else :(
I just need to get out there, its an upgrade anyways compared to here.
Found the ca website a bit tricky to navigate and ended up going round in circles!
Just need some help or advice as the house has an offer now.
Will having money to go over there go in my favour? might be able to buy a flat outright etc etc

Tirytory Mar 8th 2015 2:02 pm

You need to figure out how to get there on your own merits... So what job do you do?

Gordon Stuart Mar 8th 2015 2:03 pm

will check that out thanks ;)

Gordon Stuart Mar 8th 2015 2:05 pm

I'm a self employed builder with a limited company. Ex royal Engineer also, thought maybe i could join Canadian army..if that sped things up etc although im 36 now lol getting too old for playing soldiers :)

Tirytory Mar 8th 2015 2:13 pm

It's your right to remain in the country that's the problem... Could you go over on a visitor visa for six months and job hunt? Hopefully find someone willing to obtain an LMAIO for you? I'm not even sure how feasible that is? In the building industry? Hopefully someone will be along who's more knowledgeable!!

Your wife has really done a number on you though- completely unfair!!! You have my every sympathy..

Gordon Stuart Mar 8th 2015 3:04 pm

thanks Tirytory, i will look into all angles now i have some spare time. but that option of a long holiday seems like a good idea and maybe when im over there i can go to the immigration office and get a one on one and see what other options there are. might have to get over there asap!
ps she has done a number on me but ive accepted it, she didn't set out purposely to cheat and she was tore up with guilt for ages...life goes on ;)

Gordon Stuart Mar 8th 2015 3:30 pm

Also.... Is it possible to buy a property whilst on holiday?? so many questions here lol

Tirytory Mar 8th 2015 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gordon Stuart (Post 11586257)
thanks Tirytory, i will look into all angles now i have some spare time. but that option of a long holiday seems like a good idea and maybe when im over there i can go to the immigration office and get a one on one and see what other options there are. might have to get over there asap!
ps she has done a number on me but ive accepted it, she didn't set out purposely to cheat and she was tore up with guilt for ages...life goes on ;)

I'm not sure why you're being so kind- she has taken your child away from you and left you with not many options to living near him (maybe she doesn't realise). Go do some reading of the wiki articles..

Aviator Mar 8th 2015 3:58 pm

Forget the wikki, you should be seeing a lawyer ASAP, like Monday. If she went on holiday and never came back, that is not the same as permanent removal, for which it seems you did not give permission, according to your first post. Your second post indicates she moved permanently and you were going to join her. You need to figure out which it was. Had you discussed how you were going to move to join her, or did she just try and trick you?

As for Canada, coming as a visitor is the quickest, but you cannot work.

Check out ITABC to see if you qualify to challenge a trades exam, depending what trade you have, this will give you the best chance of a job.

It is not going to be quick though.

If you were still in the Army, you could have applied to the Canadian military. Now you are a civvy, you would need to have PR to apply.

christmasoompa Mar 8th 2015 5:41 pm

I'm sorry to say that there's not likely to be any quick solution.

Are you by any chance aged 30 or under? If so, you may have a quick option open to you, as you'd be eligible for the IEC visa, which is a 2 year open work permit.

If not, then the only way to get a work permit is to find an employer prepared to either sponsor you via the PNP, or get a LMIA for you. The PNP option would take long time (current processing times are 10-13 months, so add on time to find a job offer, get paperwork together etc, and you're probably looking at a year to 18 months in total).

A LMIA would be much quicker if you can find an employer willing to pay $1000 to get you over, and who can prove that they can't find a Canadian to do the job, but it could take a while to get that as you don't have skills in demand from what you've said.

You can buy a property whilst a visitor there (you just can't work), but having a property there doesn't give you any way of staying, so tbh it seems a bit daft to me to buy a property and then potentially not be able to use it if you can't stay longer term.

Best of luck to you, hope you can find that all important job offer asap.

Gordon Stuart Mar 9th 2015 10:34 pm

cheers for the help ;)

Gordon Stuart Mar 9th 2015 10:36 pm

Got lots of qualifications ( nvq3, city & guilds) from the army and lots of experience, so i should be fine for getting a job.